Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Purchasing from Tesla in cash without a US Drivers License

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone had experience buying a new Model 3 from Tesla in the United States without a US drivers license?

I am a Canadian resident spending several months in Arizona and would like to purchase a new Model 3 SR+. Getting an Arizona drivers license is not possible since that would require me to declare I'm a resident of Arizona, which can greatly complicate other things (immigration, taxes).

The Tesla web site does not allow you to select a non-US drivers license, but as far as I can tell this is perfectly legal and allowed in Arizona and many US states which do not require you to be a resident to register a car in the state.

The easy choice would be to buy and title the car in Canada and ship it down, but this would be approximately $8k more expensive in extra costs between shipping, taxes, the can/us pricing difference, etc. The car would never leave AZ so buying it down there seems like a better choice.

I think you have to legally be able to drive to buy the vehicle. I am not sure on that, but many car companies do not allow this for exactly the reason you mentioned (that its cheaper here than "there" so they want to protect their importers and prevent export as much as possible).

Short answer is contact tesla and ask. Nothing anyone says here will matter, only what tesla says will matter. Ask them, and let us know.

Reactions: gaspimp
Most states don’t require a DL to purchase, just a form of ID.

I did not use my DL to purchase either of my Tesla vehicles, and I don’t have a US DL
What did you upload in your account to complete your delivery profile? I am pretty much in the same position as OP.. looking to buy a tesla in the US but have Canadian license.