Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Purchasing in Ontario - Taxes, Surcharges, etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's my other dilemma...I have enough points from my PC Mastercard to get the Eaton outdoor unit from Home Depot for about $200. It would be slower charging at 32A vs 40A from the UMC, but then I am using a more robust outdoor unit with no theft possibility, plus keeping my UMC in the car in case of emergency, and keeping it in mint condition. I think the Eaton is fast enough for me as I don't really ever come home from a long trip (over 200km) and then have to leave again shortly after. Just annoys me that I would not be taking full advantage of what the car can charge at (without the cost of dual chargers of course)

Thoughts?
I think the UMC is $650 from Tesla. Some people were getting another UMC so they could keep one in the car. I really like knowing that my UMC is always in the car.

Considering you'll have a SuperCharger in your backyard, I think paying only $200 for a permanent charging station (that could also serve other non Tesla EV's) is a pretty good idea. Actually, a great idea. If you ever really need to top up "extra", you can just head to the SuperCharger (although it will taper charging rate as it gets full).

I think the UMC is $650 from Tesla. Some people were getting another UMC so they could keep one in the car. I really like knowing that my UMC is always in the car.

Considering you'll have a SuperCharger in your backyard, I think paying only $200 for a permanent charging station (that could also serve other non Tesla EV's) is a pretty good idea. Actually, a great idea. If you ever really need to top up "extra", you can just head to the SuperCharger (although it will taper charging rate as it gets full).

The only other downside is I would have to use the adapter with the Eaton, which looks not as small and sleek as the Tesla connection. But, for $200 I think it's the right move. As I will charge almost exclusively while I sleep, I doubt I would notice the slower speed at 32A instead of 40A, plus I keep my UMC new and in the car.