Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Purchasing Model S Outside of California - Do I get the EV Rebate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been a long term lurker of this forum (which is a wealth of information) and have been doing some research before purchasing a 2017 or later Model S P90 within the next 2 to 3 months. However I've noticed that used Model S prices outside of my state (CA) seem to be significantly less in different parts of the country which has made me a bit hesitant. With that said, if I purchase a Model S from outside of CA would I still be eligible for the CA rebate as long as the Model S has not been registered in CA? Would I still be eligible for the federal rebate?

i've purchased plenty of ice cars outside of CA so i'm familiar with the registration process but wasn't sure about my eligibility regarding the EV rebates. Lastly outside of what I mentioned above should there be anything else to be concerned about? I'm targeting low mileage Model S's (preferably below 12K miles) but any additional advice or insight the forum could provide would be appreciated!

Thanks

Thanks for all of your response.

Some of you got me thinking I'd be better off purchasing a new 2018 directly from Tesla (I do see a few on Tesla's website) being that I'd get both the CA and Fed Rebate (if there is one). If I do decide to go with a 2018 Model S, how do I go about negotiating any type of discount as I've seen several forum members stating that they were able to negotiate and/or obtain a discount on cars sitting in inventory?

Thanks again for responses!

Used Tesla you may save a bundle...certainly more than the $2500 CA rebate. But yes, please check the link I posted, you mush by it with less than 7500, you can buy it out of state. You can by a demo car with a few thousand miles it would qualify.

Thanks for all of your response.

Some of you got me thinking I'd be better off purchasing a new 2018 directly from Tesla (I do see a few on Tesla's website) being that I'd get both the CA and Fed Rebate (if there is one). If I do decide to go with a 2018 Model S, how do I go about negotiating any type of discount as I've seen several forum members stating that they were able to negotiate and/or obtain a discount on cars sitting in inventory?

Thanks again for responses!
I just sent you a message in your inbox with lots of great info on how to do this

So guys I have an update. I decide to go brand new and located a heavily discounted 2018 75D in Tesla's standing inventory. The original price was $77K but I'm getting it for $63.6K. That price is significantly cheaper than some of the lightly used Model S's I was looking at. I feel somewhat relieve that I'm getting a new vehicle versus a used one. I'll be sure to keep everyone updated.

Thank you for your help!!!

Reactions: AMPd