Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Purchasing Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2018s made after mid March 2018 came with MCU2 which is much faster and makes the displays snappy. Previously the moving map was slow... and some display features barely usable.

If this is your first Tesla, make sure you know when your car was made. Tesla rolls out new features whenever they are ready and not based on model year.

Upvote 0
@raju1300, there are 2 big demarcations to be aware of in the 2017/2018 time frame you mention:

March 2018 started with MCU2, which I think is very important, but can be done as a $1500 upgrade now, so I wouldn’t see it as any more important than the $1500. Actually, it could be better to have an older car with the MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade because that also includes the FSD computer hardware.

Later in 2018, for which I don’t have an exact date, Tesla rolled all premium upgrades into the base model. This may or may not turn out to be important to you, but be aware of asking what features a specific car has if it’s build date is before the end of 2018.

Here is a post I wrote a while back for someone who was asking similar questions, as there is a long history of constant changes.
As there are so many changes that Tesla is always making, a complete list is very difficult. But here are some highlights that I pieced together. The dates are approximate, + a month. Im sure others won’t be shy to point out what I have wrong.
  • Jan 2017 - Free supercharging no longer stays with life of car; only activated for current owner.
  • March 2017 - Back of Seats changed from glossy to matte
  • July 2017 - 7 seat configuration changed from mono-post to bench
  • Summer 2017 (?) - alcantara dash removed
  • August 2017 - HW2.5
  • March 2018 - MCU2
  • July 2018 - Premium Upgrade Package (PUP) part of base price
  • Summer 2018 - removed some configuration options, such as textile seats
  • Spring 2019 - Raven introduced - motor and suspension changes (325 mile)
  • Summer 2019 - black headliner (no light option)
  • October 2019 - Front seats changed. No longer movable headrest
  • January 2020 - long range plus (351 miles)
More helpful than the VIN is just the manufactured date, which is on the driver’s side door sticker. Tesla always shows a picture of it in its used listings.

When shopping for ones older than mid-2018, be aware that options and how they were packaged changed often. For example the auto-open driver’s door, a marquis of the model X, was once an option.

I have a Sept 2017 100D that started as HW2.5 and MCU1 and has recently been upgraded to HW3 and MCU2. I think the upgrades available (to HW3 for FSD) and MCU2 (for $2500) make the older cars viable options. Here are a few graphics that further help on autopilot and MCU changes.

View attachment 568992 View attachment 568993

Upvote 0
@raju1300, there are 2 big demarcations to be aware of in the 2017/2018 time frame you mention:

March 2018 started with MCU2, which I think is very important, but can be done as a $1500 upgrade now, so I wouldn’t see it as any more important than the $1500. Actually, it could be better to have an older car with the MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade because that also includes the FSD computer hardware.

Later in 2018, for which I don’t have an exact date, Tesla rolled all premium upgrades into the base model. This may or may not turn out to be important to you, but be aware of asking what features a specific car has if it’s build date is before the end of 2018.

Here is a post I wrote a while back for someone who was asking similar questions, as there is a long history of constant changes.
Thank you

Upvote 0
Hey guys I am purchasing a used Model X 100D, the Autopilot computer says 2.5 but under Autopolit it says just-autopilot, not enhanced autopilot. Do I have to pay additional for the enhanced autopilot? If so does anyone know how much?
Enhanced is an option not currently available. It stopped being offered around March 2019, then there have been 1 or 2 other brief periods (a matter of weeks) when it was an option. There are many who hope it will again become an option. But it is not now.
99 dollars per month is your only option for EAP
No, the $99/month is the FSD subscription price for those who already have EAP.

Upvote 0