Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Purchasing Plaid MS soon, do I need aftermarket camber arms etc.?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like the title, do I need new camber arms? I'm thinking about pulling the trigger one the new Plaid 23' with these new prices. What should I keep in mind/ do you guys still think it's a good vehicle despite all these things about negative camber, shudder, and vibration? I plan to use this car as my daily driver, thoughts!

This might be controversial but I would just wait and see. There's a ton of variability in Model S tolerances because the car was designed when Tesla really didn't know what they were doing. That means some cars have issues with tire wear and some don't.

I'm 15K miles in on a Plaid running 295 20" wheels/tires and lowered almost an inch all around with very even tire wear.

I would just wait and see if you have tire wear issues. Yeah, you might incur the cost of expensive tires but I'm of the opinion you want to keep the car "service center friendly" until you're sure there aren't factory issues that need to be addressed. Ultimately aftermarket parts can not be cited as a reason to deny warranty claims, etc. but the effort to execute on that is not worth the time. Easier to keep things simple until you're sure the car is "good."
20” tires are more tolerant to the high camber. Unfortunately you won’t know until it’s too late. The inner sidewall edge will be completely worn down. When it’s time for tires remember this post!

Upvote 0
Don’t really care for track stuff, it's going to be focussed as a daily driver. You mentioned not to get the 21" Arachnid wheels, is there a reason for that? I really REALLY hate the look of the 19" tempest wheels, am I out of luck?

if I buy the camber adjustable arms, can I rock the 21" wheels properly? / will my warranty still be intact? I
Today I finally installed the rear camber adjustable arms by GOSSPEED (Amazon)
The rear 21’ tires were not wearing evenly.
MYP has 18K miles.. My problem is that I still can’t reset a warning message about tire wear.

Upvote 0
Today I finally installed the rear camber adjustable arms by GOSSPEED (Amazon)
The rear 21’ tires were not wearing evenly.
MYP has 18K miles.. My problem is that I still can’t reset a warning message about tire wear.
IMG_3916.jpeg
IMG_3946.jpeg

Upvote 0
20” tires are more tolerant to the high camber. Unfortunately you won’t know until it’s too late. The inner sidewall edge will be completely worn down. When it’s time for tires remember this post!
That’s the point actually. Why spend money on rear camber arms unless you know you’re going to wear through tires? A set of rear tires isn’t that expensive and are literally a wear item.

Upvote 0
That’s the point actually. Why spend money on rear camber arms unless you know you’re going to wear through tires? A set of rear tires isn’t that expensive and are literally a wear item.
Yes, but they look really cool. 😄 Even though you can’t see them once installed. I got them just to be safe and it seems my Plaid actually tracks betting with them. But that could be from getting properly aligned too.

Reactions: Msicario
Upvote 0
I'd argue that if you have 21's, it makes sense to do something with the camber ASAP. Pilot sport 4 s for the rear are over $500/piece plus mounting and balancing. The N2itive links are overkill as far as I'm concerned and I just need something simpler to adjust the camber. Something like the Macsboost camber adjustment for about $200 (on sale currently) is another option.

If that $200 + installation, saves me $1100 in tires, it is a great ROI. I don't need all the adjustability, of the N2itive arms, I just need it in a range where the camber isn't excessive. I've heard of people running 21's go through rear tires in as little as 4-5k miles and often before 10k miles. So I've already ordered the Macsboost camber adjustment kit and will install it ASAP as my tires are practically new. I'll have an alignment done at that time to see exactly where I am at.

A $200 investment plus about an hour of my time to install, seems like a great way to go to save on rear tire wear and improve traction of a known issue with 21's. YMMV of course.

Reactions: Msicario
Upvote 0
Rear Camber adjustable kit by GODSPEED (Amazon $150) 4 wheel alignment $125.. Two new rear tires at least $1K 🤔

Attachments

• IMG_3943.jpeg
    IMG_3943.jpeg
    393.5 KB · Views: 48
Upvote 0

Valid point. A set of rear tires on the Model S plaid last 10k miles. That’s it. So $500 a tire. Camber arms can at least get you to 20k miles I would assume, as my fronts just now almost need replacing at 22k miles. So the camber arms pay for themselves in literally one tire cycle

Upvote 0
Valid point. A set of rear tires on the Model S plaid last 10k miles. That’s it. So $500 a tire. Camber arms can at least get you to 20k miles I would assume, as my fronts just now almost need replacing at 22k miles. So the camber arms pay for themselves in literally one tire cycle
I'd see the N2itive would pay for themselves in one cycle and the other options in just a few thousand miles.

Reactions: Propofoln
Upvote 0
Lol, like I said. Controversial.

To be clear… people are entirely missing my point here. That’s fine. Let’s move on.
I understand; But my bigger problem is how do I get rid or reset that warning message on my screen? Tesla service person said he would reset it after he rotated my tires 🤦🏻 Saw the rear tires were different from the front, LOL..
So I ask him to reset/remove that message; Said No, Tesla would be liable if anything happened; Recommended I buy new tires, then he could do it. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Upvote 0
This is exactly what I’m thinking, I feel like I can spare the extra $300-400 a month for the Plaid just purely for my happiness. Yes, the MS is fast etc. but I’ll spend the rest of the life of the car behind Plaid’s thinking “Man….”
If you are financing and cannot afford outright suggest not paying interest on a depreciating asset. In other words, and no offense, you probably can't afford it and should be focusing on building up your financial position. Cars are almost always a bad use of money

Upvote 0