Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

(Purchasing / trade-in advise) Upgrade to 2021 LR from 2020 SR+?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am doing exactly that. Selling my 2020 SR+ for a 2022 LR. Delivery for a new LR is estimated at around 45 days. I want to take advantage of the high selling price of my SR+ while the market is hot.

I won't get an amazing number of new features, but enough to convince me. The only thing that pisses me off is that I will need to change my tire sensors as it seems that Tesla has switched to bluetooth.

Hi @Germ I see you are in Montreal so you look to be in the same situation as I am :) I have a couple of questions: I assume you had bot subventions when you bought your SR+, do you know if you can get kicked in the butt for selling your EV? Have you traded in with Tesla or sold the car yourself? How it cost (CAD) overall for this kind of trade/upgrade? Thanks

Hi @Germ I see you are in Montreal so you look to be in the same situation as I am :) I have a couple of questions: I assume you had bot subventions when you bought your SR+, do you know if you can get kicked in the butt for selling your EV? Have you traded in with Tesla or sold the car yourself? How it cost (CAD) overall for this kind of trade/upgrade? Thanks
Sold my SR+ yesterday privately for 55.5k (red + white seats + PPF and extras). My new LR will be delivered on Dec 24th. I didn't even ask Tesla for a trade-in price, I know that they would never match the current used car market.

To be honest, I didn't look too long into getting "dinged" by the government. From what I heard, which may not be true, you need to keep your vehicle at least 12 months. Looking at the province of Quebec's website, it seems to match what I heard (except if you were to buy 3 during the same year):

I can tell you that the used Tesla market is getting crowded, I recommend making your move sooner than later.

Reactions: yepeekai
Hi OP - curious…what did you end up doing?

Hi - OP here, sorry I completely forgot to follow up on this post (if anyone was curious about the outcome...!) :)

In usual Tesla fashion they only gave me an option to take delivery / pick-up on 12/11 (l am local to the Fremont factory) when I was VIN assigned, or else I would have to forfeit the VIN and my spot in line as they needed to get these cars off of the lot asap apparently..

So as my delivery date neared, I did another trade-in valuation on my 2020 SR+ (34K miles) directly with Tesla. The trade-in offer was actually really low ($30K) this time around which I did not go for. I ended up shopping around at other businesses for a better offer to sell the car. Carvana offered $36K, Carmax $39K, Vroom $40K, and GivemetheVIN $41K. I ended up going through with GivemetheVIN even though it took a little longer, the process was smooth and the customer service was great. Definitely recommend them. Also California does not offer any sort of tax saving benefit when trading in a vehicle too, so the choice was easy.

Overall I'm satisfied with my experience. Definitely enjoy having the 2022 LR coming from the 2020 SR+ due to more range, premium audio, and refreshed interior/exterior. Almost feels like the same car to me since I opted for the same color (white) and I had some good memories with the SR+ so it felt bittersweet dropping that car off, lol. I also was able to finance a lower rate compared to when I financed the SR+ so it was a win-win for me. Plan to keep this car long-term. 😁