Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Purchasing Used Model S...FSD Transfer?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is no reason for Tesla to remove the fsd if it was purchased.

Agreed, but they do. It regularly happens with cars people trade into them that end up at third party dealers through auctions.

The documented instance of Tesla removing it was for car that was enabled by mistake and never purchased.
This excuse is a crock, and there are lots of documented instances of this happening to people.

its hit or miss, in my opinion. I bought my 2017 used late 2019 and mine was literally like new when I picked it up in the showroom that day. Freshly washed, literally immaculate inside, and still had the new car smell. Granted, mine was some sort of inventory/demo vehicle with very low miles (I still only have 9k miles on it right now)

Also, usual car forum rules apply (people create accounts to post negative experiences/problems, not to post "all is well") so theres that.

But yes, Im positive dirty ones are sold as well
AGREE to your comments....now obviously if anyone would buy a car from Tesla with 90k miles it wont be like new but i bought mine with 30k and it was absolutely like a new car with new car smell just like yours.

Hello, ADEEL421,

Well, that will be my next action, too. My wife called this used car dealership last night, and there was a "Tesla Expert," they stated. The lady told my wife that the FSD won't be transferred if we purchase the car(really?). And they still advertise the vehicle has FSD on their website xD

My wife tried to find some room since the "expert" told her that, but the dealer said that they won't discount a penny from the listing price.
So we decided not to go with that dealership and browsing some model S on Tesla's used inventory :)

The main reason why my wife and I looked up local dealership was that my region does not have that many used Tesla choices on Tesla's official used car inventory. Suitable cars are mostly located in California, and I'm in Wahsington D.C :) So it was not money issue and actually these used dealerships in my region charge pretty much the same amount on Tesla's website. And I just wanted to see the actual car before purchasing.

If I purchase one, mine would be somewhat different from "super clean" since my budget is for around 30K to 40K mileage Tesla. But I'm glad that you had gone through the complicated steps well and picked up a great car! I hope I would do the same.

i have 29k miles on mine when i picked mine up from Tesla..its hardly broken in....you will do fine...the price range will vary depending on battery type i highly recommend the Dual motor cuz of the drive and speed and also better battery performance (not a lot)....we decided to give up glass roof and take the air suspension instead (highly recommend if you like smooth ride)...yes glass roof looks cool for about a month....ride is somethign you always feel....
white interior was a must for us and we had a weather package with heated seats....regular wheels 19" as we didnt want the troubled 21" wheels getting damaged in potholes.....with FSD we were able to take the car to dealer and get the HW3 upgrade for free...also they uncorked it so now it goes 0-60 in 4.2sec i think....
its a fun car you will love it.

Agreed, but they do. It regularly happens with cars people trade into them that end up at third party dealers through auctions.

This excuse is a crock, and there are lots of documented instances of this happening to people.
The most obvious reason is money. If Tesla sells lease return or tradein Teslas at auction they get the same or nearly the same amount of money as if FSD was included. Unfortunately if that happens, and the car hasn’t had an update since, FSD will disappear after you purchase it.

I think that if the third party dealer advertises it with FSD then that documentation would make for an easy small claims court win against the third party dealer should it disappear.

Reactions: alrnr2232
Hello folks,

You might find this question is bored, so my apologies.

I just want to clarify the full self driving feature would be transfer if I purchase the vehicle from a 3rd party dealership.

I tried a 2017 model S 100D yesterday. I really liked the car. Since it was first time trying Tesla for my wife and me, we spent some time to navigate the touch screen on the vehicle.

Then we found that the autopilot and FSD was enabled on that vehicle. I did not have a chance to test it though.
The dealer, he didn't know anything about Tesla, was not able to answer most of my questions.

Since the feature was already activated, it might be transferred to me. However, I was not sure, so asked for the car sticker. They told me that they would ask Tesla and retrieve the sticker soon.

And today, I just received the sticker from the dealership. It was the original copy of Tesla.
It says that it included Enhanced Autopilot for $5000, and there is no FSD listed on the sticker.

So I am wondering if the previous owner purchased FSD his or herself, so that it could be transferred to me.
Or, I would become a man on such horror stories on articles...FSD gone.

I wish I could get the answer, and then be the owner of tesla, join this community.

Thank you and have a wonderful Friday!
So how did it go?