Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Purchasing used MS from Tesla vs 3rd party

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Link sent.
This trade-in quote Tesla gave me for my Denali is laughable.
The dealership that has this car has offered me $34k.
Tesla offered me $30,866!!
Between that and the potential of transferrable free supercharging and premium connectivity, it’s kind of a tough call.
I really like the idea of the extended warranty Tesla offers but...dangit!

Link sent.
This trade-in quote Tesla gave me for my Denali is laughable.
The dealership that has this car has offered me $34k.
Tesla offered me $30,866!!
Between that and the potential of transferrable free supercharging and premium connectivity, it’s kind of a tough call.
I really like the idea of the extended warranty Tesla offers but...dangit!

Couple of notes:
Dont get excessively hung up on free supercharging. Theres not THAT much value in it, unless you do a LOT of roadtripping. By far, majority of your charging will be at home. For the average Tesla owner, Supercharging isnt something that is done regularly.
Premium connectivity is $9 a month, or the equivalent of 1.5 Starbucks coffees or one Martini. Again. Not a major cost and may not even be necessary if you have an unlimited data plan on your phone that can be used as a hotspot if needed.
My last 5 vehicles, I've sold on Craigslist for THOUSANDS more than what trade in offers would have been. And all sales went quite easily. If thats too much effort for you, you may have better luck using a service that helps you sell. In my area, we have something like this. CarLotz | Used Car & Consignment Dealer
I purchased my 2017 90D with 1200 miles last month through Tesla because I definitely wanted that 4 yr/50k warranty and wanted no issues with my EAP being intact.

• Disagree
Reactions: Dublin 'Eer
I ended up buying a used MS from a dealer 1300 Miles away. After tons of research on tesla cpo , ev-cpo and of course this forum.
At the time of buying there were two almost identical cars with the specifications I wanted. a CPO and Dealer.
I went with the dealer. Here is what I followed
Tons of Research, Year and Month of manufacture, HW/SW.
I called the dealer, had a couple of face time sessions, went through every single option on the screens twice.
Took the VIN to the service center spoke to the delivery manger who was kind enough to run the vin. Checked the build sheet and how many times it was into a service center. Asked his opinion about the two in consideration and he steered me towards the dealer one as it was a later build and of course it had EAP as well ( which I was not expecting ). It took me a while to find a car as I was looking for a Deep Blue 2017 or later with premium white and AP and 2.5 Hardware
I then sent market research notes as to what I was willing to pay. The dealer did negotiate.
Bought it drove it home, the car was everything I wanted, Supercharged about 9 times on the way back. Took about a month to have access to the tesla app. Now I hardly think about the extended warranty , and I guess I will cross the bridge when I come to it. After buying made a service appointment , had a few rattle and squeaks , the yellow screen fixed under warranty.

Hope this helps and happy hunting. Most dealers are clueless when it comes to tesla's on their lot. It is changing though as there are a few dedicated EV res ellers out there.

How were you able to Supercharge before you had access to the Tesla app? This is something that keeps me from traveling to pick one up. Did your car have lifetime Supercharging?

How were you able to Supercharge before you had access to the Tesla app? This is something that keeps me from traveling to pick one up. Did your car have lifetime Supercharging?

Supercharging is tied to the car's vin. It will super charge and once you get the app and car ownership transferred, the cost is applied to the card or account on file that was used to setup the Tesla Account. At the time of this particular car's manufacture TESLA had done away with free supercharging and it was pay as you use. I have almost 5k miles in road trips and no issues in supercharging or plug share. Once TESLA Account is setup , you can go into history and see your previous supercharging.

Supercharging is tied to the car's vin. It will super charge and once you get the app and car ownership transferred, the cost is applied to the card or account on file that was used to setup the Tesla Account. At the time of this particular car's manufacture TESLA had done away with free supercharging and it was pay as you use. I have almost 5k miles in road trips and no issues in supercharging or plug share. Once TESLA Account is setup , you can go into history and see your previous supercharging.

I wasn’t sure if you’d be able to supercharge before ownership was transferred.

Does it just charge the previous owner since the system would still show them on file?

My understanding is that if the car has not been removed from the account the previous owner gets the charge. If buying CPO tesla gets the charge and then it trickles down to you. Need confirmation from others though. In my case I jut checked all the cards on file and I did not get charged for supercharging till I had the car in my account. I am guessing these supercharging sessions went into a black hole. Anyway it was about $80 in all.

I pulled the trigger on one from Tesla.

2016 90D
  • Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive
  • Midnight Silver Metallic Paint
  • Sunroof
  • 21" Silver Turbine Wheels
  • Tan Next Generation Seats
  • Glossy Obeche Wood Décor
  • Black Headliner
  • Power and Lighting Package
  • Autopilot with convenience features
  • Premium Upgrades Package
  • Smart Air Suspension

Now I just need to go to the dealership where I bought my trade in to get a better price than Tesla offered. They lowballed the heck out of me! No big deal. I’m super psyched!!!

• Love
Reactions: byeLT4
Congrat

2016 90D
  • Sunroof
  • Black Headliner
  • Smart Air Suspension

Now I just need to go to the dealership where I bought my trade in to get a better price than Tesla offered. They lowballed the heck out of me! No big deal. I’m super psyched!!!
Congratulations on new car , if your near a Carmax I'd give them a try at your Denali. Bet they will be 3k over Tesla. Your dealer is going to be frosty cause he missed a sale.

2016 90D
  • Sunroof
  • Black Headliner
  • Smart Air Suspension

Congratulations !!!

Just purchased a 2016 (AP1/pre-Nov) S 70D from Tesla w/48 mo./50K mile new car warranty (caveating the drivetrain, which is still original purchase-based). The pre-delivery communications were a bit challenging, as has been shared by others (and as my own pre-purchase research forwarded me about). The delivery went smoothly, though (relatively speaking), and I'm absolutely *LOVING* being a first-time Tesla owner.

Regarding "unexpected cosmetic damage", the pics on Tesla.com were accurate *externally* though there were a few minor *interior* issues (nothing that was a deal breaker). Tesla also cleaned the car up nice, all accessories were intact (including the owner's manual), the car had brand new tires, and I found an extra set of floor mats in the back.

All in all, I'm a pretty happy Tesla newbie!

UPDATE: I got my congratulatory email from Tesla with all the good info about next steps but wait!....the car is actually in FLORIDA when the page said it was in Roswell, GA. This means the drive will be 13 hours instead of 10. My advisor is looking into it but I'm a little bummed about that little snag. Hopefully all else goes smoothly...(maybe they'll deliver it for free because of the mistake!!)

Yes. Standard 4 years / 50,000 miles whichever first from the date of the original first owner.
What needs to happen to satisfy this transfer of warranty?(from Tesla website) Can a 3rd party dealer do it? Does it cost extra $?

Does the New Vehicle Limited Warranty transfer to the new owner if I sell my vehicle?

Yes. Your New Vehicle Limited Warranty will follow your vehicle and be transferred to the new owner when a vehicle ownership transfer is performed through Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: drdumont
...Can a 3rd party dealer do it?...

Yes. You or anyone else can log in Tesla's website to create your own account with your own secrete password and credit card number and click on the ownership process.

This is not a DMV process. It's a process of submitting all documents to Tesla to prove that you are currently owning the car by submitting various papers.