Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Purgatory..aka couldn’t make delivery date waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That seems to be the case. If you aren't available to take delivery, you might be able to negotiate another day or two. If not, they deliver the car to someone who is ready and you go back in line. Not sure if you go to the back of the line or just back in line. The process is very unclear.

Now I'm nervous. If I'm working for 3 days straight and can't make it until the 4th day, I can't believe they would toss my car to someone else like that.

Wait so they will only keep your car for 2 or 3 days for delivery and then its reassigned?

About 3 days is the max I believe. Last year in december it was 7 days but I believe they have shortened it to 3 days now. The international order process has changed how tesla does this. When tesla notifies someone that their car is ready to be picked up on XX date, they do not allow much leeway.

Now I'm nervous. If I'm working for 3 days straight and can't make it until the 4th day, I can't believe they would toss my car to someone else like that.

You should plan to make arrangements to get it in 3 days, unfortunately. They might hold it an extra day, but they also might not. They absolutely are not going to hold it 7-8 days... see OP in this thread.

i'm sure most people are going to hate me for telling my story, but 2 weeks ago i had no idea i'd have to order a car now in order to have a reasonable chance of having one in late march when my current car goes off lease. thanks to this forum i now know that i have to do exactly what i didn't want to do: place an order while the folks in the tesla factory are busting their humps to make a zillion cars at the end of the quarter, making god knows what mistakes along the way. as a californian i guess this will always be true.

so now i get to "butt in" while many of you have been waiting months, and in theory i'll have one near the end of december.

because like a lot of people i have a winter vacation lined up, i'm sitting here trying to figure out just how close to december 8th i should order the car to ensure that they deliver it after i come back from vacation. this, just because they would give "my" car away if i can't peel out of my driveway and race down to the service center to pick up the car when they call.

mostly though, i'm expecting that on december 3th they'll just take the "order before the 8th" banner down and i'll be screwed.

all i can hope is that since in mid-december i'll be "all in" on tesla with a dual powerwall installation, that they will have mercy on me if i can't make the 2 day window.

@astrorob, you shouldn’t worry about the fallout if you order soon. I think the Tesla way is if you miss the pickup window you get put back in the lottery bin and just wait until your called in again (whenever that is).

Are you just trying to assure you get it by March when your lease is up? Or, are you trying to get the last of the fed write off by EOY?

@AZjohnInCA i plan on leasing so i don't think the tax credit is super meaningful... what i'm trying to do is ensure that i have a fully-stickered replacement for our bolt by the time the lease ends in late march. i had figured i should order in mid-january assuming that the 2-4 week lead time was a constant, but what i learned here is that california orders go back to the end of the queue until the end of the next quarter. so that means i have to order now and then hassle with this end-of-year delivery stuff.

hey at least i'm aware of it. i think i'd be pissed if i ordered in october (like you) and then scheduled a december vacation, only to find that i got passed over (like the OP.)

i guess the real question for me is if they would be able to provide a car in january if i somehow miss my delivery window. based on what i've read here i don't have high hopes of that happening. so then we end up in a situation where my wife has to pick up causal carpoolers to get to SF and i don't want her to have to do that.

Reactions: AZjohnInCA
Translation:

"I ordered a car with known limited quantities, could not make the assigned delivery date due to my own personal situation, now want to state that tesla "boned" me on 11/27. Anyone else in this situation?"

I talked today with my SA about stealth orders. There are still unassigned cars out there in pre-production for 2019 Q4. You usually have to ask more than once to get one - no VINs yet, but I've been told they are available.

The delivery day situation is difficult - but everyone gets the same deal - 2-3 days to pick up. It's unfortunate, but a fact of life.

@AZjohnInCA i plan on leasing so i don't think the tax credit is super meaningful... what i'm trying to do is ensure that i have a fully-stickered replacement for our bolt by the time the lease ends in late march. i had figured i should order in mid-january assuming that the 2-4 week lead time was a constant, but what i learned here is that california orders go back to the end of the queue until the end of the next quarter. so that means i have to order now and then hassle with this end-of-year delivery stuff.

hey at least i'm aware of it. i think i'd be pissed if i ordered in october (like you) and then scheduled a december vacation, only to find that i got passed over (like the OP.)

i guess the real question for me is if they would be able to provide a car in january if i somehow miss my delivery window. based on what i've read here i don't have high hopes of that happening. so then we end up in a situation where my wife has to pick up causal carpoolers to get to SF and i don't want her to have to do that.

With gigafactory 3 coming online this past month, I have to believe some of the pressure for all international orders to come from US factories will begin to subside. I don't know how long it will be before #3 is producing a thousand cars a day, but I would imagine they will scale up pretty quickly and once they do, many more US made cars will stay in the US. Only receiving cars in the last month of each quarter should be a temporary problem that gets resolved soon. At least that's what I think.

Tesla has opened up sales in more countries overseas however and I haven’t heard anything in the news about where orders to New Zealand, Australia, Japan and South Korea are shipping from. Giga3 will be ramping up gradually to some degree I suppose, like it did here, although they have the benefit of production knowledge from the Factory already on some things so hopefully a faster ramp up. Will all production stay in country or split like here? I assume Giga3 will take over orders to that part of the world to maximize logistics efficiency, but when?

Tesla has opened up sales in more countries overseas however and I haven’t heard anything in the news about where orders to New Zealand, Australia, Japan and South Korea are shipping from. Giga3 will be ramping up gradually to some degree I suppose, like it did here, although they have the benefit of production knowledge from the Factory already on some things so hopefully a faster ramp up. Will all production stay in country or split like here? I assume Giga3 will take over orders to that part of the world to maximize logistics efficiency, but when?

Is Giga 3 the one just opened in China - or is it the one to be built in Germany. I thought I read that the China factory was for China only - something about the deal with the Chinese govt?

Weekends and holidays do not count towards the window.

Does this policy apply towards deliveries done at Service Centers? I expect to get mine the week of Christmas, but I am out of town for 2 days that week. Stressing I won’t get the car and they’ll give it to someone else, but if this is the case then I am worry-free :D where did you get that info?