TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Purpose of speed in circle need to speedometer?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by HX_Guy, Dec 28, 2016.

1. HX_Guy

HX_Guy Member

Can someone please tell me what the purpose of the circle to the left of the speedometer, which also shows the speed, is?

I noticed when you get the cruise control, the number in the circle shows what your cruise is set at, but when the cruise is off...it reads the same as the speedometer or disappears completely sometimes.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. grichard

grichard Member De-Luxe

It's the speed at which the cruise control will engage if you pull the stalk toward you.

3. HX_Guy

HX_Guy Member

Hmm...that's seems, redundant. Wouldn't it be logical that whatever speed your are currently traveling, would be the speed that cruise would set at if you pulled the stalk?

So I guess it's safe to assume that if the circle is not there, like in the top photo, then cruise cannot be used?

4. andrewket

andrewket Well-Known Member

It makes sense when you have AP. Less so without those features.

5. HX_Guy

HX_Guy Member

How does that circle work/interact with AP?

6. mrElbe

mrElbe Active Member

Also when the circle appears it means that Cruise control is available.

7. mal_tsla

mal_tsla Member

I have cruise control default set to +5 mph from speed limit, so in your situation above the number in the circle would be 50. It would continue driving at 35 if there's a car ahead or speed up to 50 if the road is clear.

I agree in the situation cited above its a little redundant. But it's hard to choose between consistent and not redundant when designing interfaces sometimes so I get where Tesla was coming from.

8. NOLA_Mike

NOLA_Mike Grouchy

Not necessarily. I believe if you had a previously set speed that you disengaged to slow down or stop it would display the previously set speed such that when you pulled the stalk it would "resume" to previous set speed.

So, if it matches the speedometer then it will set the current speed. If not, then pulling the stalk towards you will "resume" to the speed shown in the circle.

Mike

9. GMDC

GMDC Member

If you don't want it to resume to your previous speed, say it was 75 so it's in grey. And currently the max speed is 45 like in your pic. I believe you can pull the cruise control stalk for a few seconds to make the CC speed (in the circle) match the max. Speed detected by gps or signal read by the camera.