Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Push for Autopilot 3.0 hardware now or wait for 4.0?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have had our Model 3 for 14 months now and are still loving it. Already have 22k miles on it (with zero issues), even though I work from home most days, since it has become our preferred vehicle by far. The latest Autopilot just did a great job driving me to Tahoe and back on the AP 2.5 hardware it came with. Since we bought Full Self Driving we are owed the computer upgrade but I’m wondering if it’s best not to push for it as Tesla talked (briefly) about their next version 10 months ago already at their Autonomy Day. I wonder if Tesla has been slow to do the FSD upgrades because they’d prefer to deploy the next version and will owners care (ie it will be more than just a cost reduction)?

1.) You cannot push for it, as far as I am aware they will only upgrade you when your number is up.
If your number is up at times scheduling a service for something else will get your upgrade done faster but that takes luck more than pushing.

2.) Have not heard any rumors of a hardware change above 3.0 for the Model 3 now or in the future.

I assume their reluctance / slow pace has more to do with wanting to keep their internal labor costs in check than anything else.

• Funny
Reactions: Char
Considering they barely have HW3 specific software actually doing anything that takes advantage of the hardware, HW4 is highly likely to be years out. It may take all of 2020 to migrate the FSD fleet to HW3 fully. They may have internal dev hardware and planning for HW4, but rolling it out costs a lot of money and brings no benefits in the near future.

Based on the anecdotes around here, try scheduling a service appointment for something small (tire rotation?). They can tell you if you're up for HW3 yet.

I just got my HW3 upgrade so the first thing I'll say is there isn't really much difference yet. You can see some new objects on the screen (which is very cool), and it doesn't have the "stuck in passing lane" bug. That's it. As far its performance, it's pretty much identical.

2nd. I'm not sure why you'd wait for HW4... first of all, this could be many years away. And if HW4 is given to us FSD customers that are getting HW3, wouldn't you then just upgrade again? Why wait?

But I'm not sure we'll even get HW4 without a new car. There is no evidence that HW4 will fit into the HW3 slot. Once our cars can respond to stop signs and stop lights, Tesla has fulfilled their FSD promise to us as defined on the website, and they can move on to new HW without retrofitting us. So while it's possible they will offer HW4 to us FSD purchasers... it seems unlikely IMO.

And until our cars gain a lot of compute intensive features, there is no need for HW4. Even HW2.5 isn't fully utilized at this point.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
2.5 was supposedly capable of FSD, and the 3.0 specs were so far above the 2.5 specs, that I don't think 4.0 would be absolutely needed for FSD, unless when FSD comes out it is some superfantastic improvement over the current iteration of FSD which doesn't even really exist yet.

• Disagree
Reactions: mazers and Char
2nd. I'm not sure why you'd wait for HW4... first of all, this could be many years away

It's ~14 months away based on the timeline Elon gave at Autonomy day.

Of course he's not the best at keeping to promised target dates.

. And if HW4 is given to us FSD customers that are getting HW3, wouldn't you then just upgrade again? Why wait?

Depends if it's "needed" or not.

It was suggested reducing power consumption was a major focus on HW4- so if HW3 is "good enough" but HW4 cuts consumption 25% that's a win for Tesla but you wouldn't get a free upgrade to it.

But I'm not sure we'll even get HW4 without a new car. There is no evidence that HW4 will fit into the HW3 slot.

2 was specifically designed to be swappable to newer computers- that's why 3 drops right in... no reason to suspect they've abandoned that plan

Once our cars can respond to stop signs and stop lights, Tesla has fulfilled their FSD promise to us as defined on the website

Point of order-

They'll have fulfilled their promise to SOME people. Specifically those who bought FSD post March 2019.

But not to the folks (like me) who bought it for the years before that- where FSD was sold with the promise of basically L5 driving.

And until our cars gain a lot of compute intensive features, there is no need for HW4. Even HW2.5 isn't fully utilized at this point.

It kinda is.

2.5 isn't capable, even at 100%, of handling all 8 cameras at full frame rate.

All that said- waiting makes 0 sense for the pre-March-2019 buyers since they'll get whatever HW is needed to get L5 (or a refund I guess)- so if they turn out to need HW27 for that they'll get it free.

For post-March-2019 buyers probably still doesn't make a ton of sense to wait since you're either gonna get more HW upgrades free if they're "needed" to meet your promise (unlikely) or you're gonna have to pay for post-HW3 features and that payment will include any HW upgrade needed.

I wouldn't sweat it until a true feature actually needs HW3 (not just showing things on screen).

Keep in mind whatever HW4 is might mean different set of sensors and cameras and may not retrofit to older vehicles. The 2.5 to 3 transition is the first computer-only swap they've been able to do.

Reactions: DanCar
Why settled for 4.0? Maybe 5.0 will get you this:

iu

All that said- waiting makes 0 sense for the pre-March-2019 buyers since they'll get whatever HW is needed to get L5 (or a refund I guess)- so if they turn out to need HW27 for that they'll get it free.

For post-March-2019 buyers probably still doesn't make a ton of sense to wait since you're either gonna get more HW upgrades free if they're "needed" to meet your promise (unlikely) or you're gonna have to pay for post-HW3 features and that payment will include any HW upgrade needed.

I bet $10 people with HW2 will not be getting L5 ever, and most likely will not get HW4. There's already evidence in the code HW2 is not going to be as capable as HW2.5 due to differences in the steering wheel, radar, and cameras that will not be upgraded.

Great conversation on HW2-->HW3 here: green on Twitter

I bet $10 people with HW2 will not be getting L5 ever, and most likely will not get HW4. There's already evidence in the code HW2 is not going to be as capable as HW2.5 due to differences in the steering wheel, radar, and cameras that will not be upgraded.

That would be why I said "(or a refund)" in the post you're replying to- specifically to cover cases where the HW turns out so inadequate a refund would be cheaper than an upgrade for Tesla.

Though your link is mainly interesting because of what Green had previously told us about the code, compared to this update.

Previously HW3 was explicitly blocked from functioning in an AP2.0 car.

Which got people thinking AP2 owners might not ever get upgraded.

Now he's found they're explicitly working on updating the code so AP2.0 cars CAN get HW3.

Which suggests they might be capable enough after all just requiring more coding to make it work.

I always wonder this are we eligible for just one hardware upgrade when buying FSD.

You'd get whatever upgrades were required to meet the promised features you bought. (or a refund I suppose)

• Funny
Reactions: qdeathstar
I just got my HW3 upgrade so the first thing I'll say is there isn't really much difference yet.

2nd. I'm not sure why you'd wait for HW4...

Because I think my 2.5 is already very good and given the small current difference to 3.0 I really don't mind waiting IF something better and compatible is coming along in the next year.....

I'd wait a couple years for YisSerL's 5.0 tho ;)

Last edited:
1.) You cannot push for it, as far as I am aware they will only upgrade you when your number is up.
If your number is up at times scheduling a service for something else will get your upgrade done faster but that takes luck more than pushing.

I just made a service appointment on app, specifically for HW3 upgrade,
initially it was scheduled as mobile appointment, then when service eyes
read appointment it was switched to service center, hardware confirmed
in stock, then assigned to my VIN, so you can proactively make an appointment.

this is similar to my experience with carbon spoiler, they get a bunch in stock,
not enough to fulfill every customer, the customer that squeaks gets the grease!

Hell, there’s a good chance even HW3 folks who bought FSD won’t get HW4 (for “free”) as they’ll just come up with a new name and development divergence fork.

Reactions: DirtyT3sla
The timeline Elon gave for HW4 means it happens in 2022 at the soonest.Therefore, waiting makes no sense. The speed is supposed to be ~3x that of HW3.

My wild guess is HW4 will be introduced later than 2022 but ends up more capable than he predicted.

The real question we all want to know is will it cost anything (or how much) to upgrade from HW3 to HW4 for FSD purchasers.