Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Push notifications now available

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ohmman

Upright Member
Global Moderator
Feb 13, 2014
North Bay/Truckee, CA
Looks like the Tesla app now includes push notifications for outages.

IMG_0062.jpg

Hmm. I'm not seeing Apple Push Notification and I've been doing my own manual Time of Use Load Shifting each day since September 13. As of today, I'm at 1405 total Backup Power hours over 80 events I'm wondering If you need to be running 1.10.2 for APNS?
Anybody know what is exactly in 1.10.2? I got upgraded last night, but not sure what was included in the release.

You can just dial up/down the power reserve % (that is if you are on solar/whole house backup) to replicate TOU. A bit of a pain, but it works. You do lose the 10% on the roundtrip charging/discharging--but ultimately you still come out ahead.

You can just dial up/down the power reserve % (that is if you are on solar/whole house backup) to replicate TOU. A bit of a pain, but it works. You do lose the 10% on the roundtrip charging/discharging--but ultimately you still come out ahead.
Im not on solar nor have a i been contacted about my Phase 6 powerwall but would this method make it priorities battery power discharge over grid use during the day and then recharge at night? Seems to be the issue that they are struggling to make the battery discharge over the grid availability.

Im not on solar nor have a i been contacted about my Phase 6 powerwall but would this method make it priorities battery power discharge over grid use during the day and then recharge at night? Seems to be the issue that they are struggling to make the battery discharge over the grid availability.
Will only charge from solar. No charging from grid yet. Seems to be a regulatory sticking point. I really can't any of this really being a software issue at this point--their gateway can direct power from all sources. My thinking is that they need to clear TOU with utilities before launching...

Geez thats a lot. Fire related mostly?
Oddly, not directly. We never had an outage during the fire. These have all been afterwards, and mostly isolated to areas unaffected by the fire. One of them was quite long and was related to a downed tree. PG&E's lines run through very heavy tree cover - they really don't keep it cleared like I was accustomed to when living in Austin. Austin Energy pruned around the lines on a 4 year basis, and they were aggressive.

Prior to the installation of my Powerwalls, I hadn't had a power outage in over a year, so this is a little unusual. Either way, glad to have them backing me up.

Oddly, not directly. We never had an outage during the fire. These have all been afterwards, and mostly isolated to areas unaffected by the fire. One of them was quite long and was related to a downed tree. PG&E's lines run through very heavy tree cover - they really don't keep it cleared like I was accustomed to when living in Austin. Austin Energy pruned around the lines on a 4 year basis, and they were aggressive.

Prior to the installation of my Powerwalls, I hadn't had a power outage in over a year, so this is a little unusual. Either way, glad to have them backing me up.
PG&E is always trimming trees down in my area near San Luis Obispo. I know theyve received a lot of pushback from tree hugers up north that wont let PG&E touch their trees, including citys like Sonoma. Local advocates spar with PG&E over tree removal

It a then be PG&E they will blame when one of those trees falls on a line and burns the entire area down.

Anybody know what is exactly in 1.10.2? I got upgraded last night, but not sure what was included in the release.

I also got my 1.10.2 upgrade last night as well. When I spoke to Tesla Energy team, they had not idea what was part of 1.10.2 beyond APNS. I don't know if GCM is support for Android, and they did not speak about Android in my conversation.

Nice. Did you actually lose power of you manually flipping your breaker for manual TOU?

If you were directing the question to me, I take my house off the grid completely (Tesla Wall Connector excluded of course) every day at 6am so that the entire house runs off my two Powerwalls. I then put my entire house on the grid again at 11pm. Starting 11pm, I charge a Model S, Model X and Quantity 2 Powerwalls. I have 200 amp service in total, with each Tesla using 48 amps.

If you were directing the question to me, I take my house off the grid completely (Tesla Wall Connector excluded of course) every day at 6am so that the entire house runs off my two Powerwalls. I then put my entire house on the grid again at 11pm. Starting 11pm, I charge a Model S, Model X and Quantity 2 Powerwalls. I have 200 amp service in total, with each Tesla using 48 amps.

You manually cycling you main breaker for that?

You manually cycling you main breaker for that?
Yup. While "Time of Use Load Shifting" is a hardware feature of the Powerwall, Tesla is still working on the software. The FAQ has always stated "timing soon" so none of this should be a surprise to existing Powerwall owners or ones getting it install soon.

Originally we were told that they were tracking for a Dec 31st release of PowerwallOS 2.0 which will include this feature, but my last conversation with Tesla Energy says that it will be delayed sometimes in Q1 of 2018.

For now, I do my own Time of Use my manually taking me off the grid and putting me back on. In case you're curious as to why I do this.

PG&E in Norther Cali has rates that are very high when you're on the EV-A plan.

Peak cost is around $0.41/kw
Non-Peak rates are as low as $0.125/kw.

So for me, it makes sense since I switched to EV-A to charge my Model S and Model X to invest in a Powerwall to get the same rate to run my house. It even made more sense since I was able to get in on Stage/Step 2 of the SGIP, so my $13800 investment in the two Powerwalls gets me back a cash back of $9200, so my out of pocket costs was less than $5K, which I can re-coup quickly as you can see the /kw rate is almost 4 times cheaper when I run my house off the two Powerwalls.

Will only charge from solar. No charging from grid yet. Seems to be a regulatory sticking point. I really can't any of this really being a software issue at this point--their gateway can direct power from all sources. My thinking is that they need to clear TOU with utilities before launching...

You can charge Powerwalls from the grid if you don't have solar.

So for me, it makes sense since I switched to EV-A to charge my Model S and Model X to invest in a Powerwall to get the same rate to run my house. It even made more sense since I was able to get in on Stage/Step 2 of the SGIP, so my $13800 investment in the two Powerwalls gets me back a cash back of $9200, so my out of pocket costs was less than $5K, which I can re-coup quickly as you can see the /kw rate is almost 4 times cheaper when I run my house off the two Powerwalls.
Exaclty my math too. Note that how many/capacity of the cars is fairly irrelevant as (normally) I shift the home only. (but as i discovered, it is ok to charge up the minivan too a bit from PW once there is a certain use later in the day and no planned AC use).

As for SGIP, i will beleive it when i see it. I got full review approved a bit ago, interconnect agreement finalized etc, so i am not sure what/when is next on this. For now, i'd be much happier if Tesla just did their TOU update already. At least that'd be some progress.

PS android notifications like in OP have started appear for me for some time... i think at least since last tesla app update. I think this is just an app functionality, i think there's no new really to tell if grid is on or off from the logs point of view, that much the app was tracking before, just without notify window