TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Pushable "tabs" by side of third row seats: what are these?

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by danbucks, Apr 13, 2016.

1. danbucks

danbucks Member

Next to each 3rd row seat, on the wall just below the windows ... are 2 plastic "tabs" or door flaps in the plastic housing that push in, and spring back. There seems to be nothing accessible in there.
    What are these for?

2. loganintx

loganintx Member

Could it be a spot where a rear retractable cover would attach to hide valuables from view?

3. Festerfeet

Festerfeet Member

Rear inkwells?

• Funny x 1
  4. dwebb66

dwebb66 Member

Yes, this was discussed a while back and the word from Tssla was that it was for a cover that would be for sale at a later time.

• Like x 1
  5. Blurry_Eyed

Blurry_Eyed MS Sig #267, MX Sig # 761

They are for the cover. We have the cover and it works quite nicely. The hooks push into those tabs and securely lock in the cover over the whole back of the trunk and 3rd row seats when folded flat. I'll try to get some photos and post them over the weekend.

6. rsampsonjr

rsampsonjr Member

I figured they were for a cover, but where did you get yours. Did Tesla give/sell it to you? I keep waiting for one to appear for sale on the Tesla site.

7. Blurry_Eyed

Blurry_Eyed MS Sig #267, MX Sig # 761

When we took our X in for service about a month ago, they just said it had arrived and gave it to us. Not sure if Tesla is still delivering the cover as standard equipment anymore. We also received the security cover that attaches on the back of the trunk hatch and covers the storage area above the trunk well. I've heard Tesla stopped including that cover as well, but i'm not 100% sure on that.

With the dark tint on the hatch, you really don't need a security cover back there because you can't see down into the trunk storage well.

• Informative x 1