TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Pushed the limits of my battery...

Discussion in 'Model S' started by HX_Guy, Jan 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. HX_Guy

HX_Guy Member

Had my first case of "Oh crap, I might actually run out of battery" tonight, but all turned out well. Had to make an unexpected ~55 mile trip and left with about 79 miles showing on the car. When I got to my destination and started heading back, the Navigation showed that I would make it back home with 3% battery left which left me pretty uneasy.

I did the whole trip there and back basically following the exact posted speed limit (using TACC) and turned on Range Mode on the way back. I actually ended up gaining a bit more as it updated to 4% left and made it into the garage with 11 miles left. Right as I pulled into the garage, I got a warning regarding the battery and temperature - seems I barely made it, but did pretty well on the Consumption.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Informative x 1
  2. twonius

twonius Member

That's pretty good. I've pushed it to 2% but that was getting to work so I knew exactly what it would take.

3. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

#3 FlatSix911, Jan 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
    Consider yourself lucky than you did not have to call for flatbed towing.
    I had to drive at 45mph to get to a SC with 3 miles remaining ... never again:cool:

4. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

Lowest I've arrived home was 2 miles left.

5. Patrick W

Patrick W Active Member

FWIW I get the same "Battery Low" warning anytime it's cold and I turn off the car with less than 40 or so miles remaining.

6. twonius

twonius Member

Perhaps it's just me, but while a certain amount of range anxiety is normal due to reduced range & limited fast charging options, having an actual percent readout vs just a needle and an idiot light makes the low end of the range a lot more usable.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  7. mrjedistud

mrjedistud Member

I was in DC a year ago in 17 degree snow and had 50 miles of range to go 25 mile to the next super charger. I hit zero range with 0.6 miles to go on the GPS. Thankfully the reserve buffer was enough to get me there. I swore never again, but found myself is a similar, yet not so extreme situation. Cold weather stinks.

• Like x 1
  8. WannabeOwner

WannabeOwner Active Member

I'd be happy with 3% with 25 miles to go, but I would have SatNav set for the destination and the TRIP view screen displaying. I'd drive "modestly" and if it dropped a percent I'd slow right down (but if it went up a percent, or even two, I'd resume my normal driving speed). if I was concerned I'd turn off Climate, but I'd still run Seat Heaters on #1 until I became very worried!