Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pushed the limits of my battery...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had my first case of "Oh crap, I might actually run out of battery" tonight, but all turned out well. Had to make an unexpected ~55 mile trip and left with about 79 miles showing on the car. When I got to my destination and started heading back, the Navigation showed that I would make it back home with 3% battery left which left me pretty uneasy.

I did the whole trip there and back basically following the exact posted speed limit (using TACC) and turned on Range Mode on the way back. I actually ended up gaining a bit more as it updated to 4% left and made it into the garage with 11 miles left. Right as I pulled into the garage, I got a warning regarding the battery and temperature - seems I barely made it, but did pretty well on the Consumption.

• Informative
Reactions: Tam
I was in DC a year ago in 17 degree snow and had 50 miles of range to go 25 mile to the next super charger. I hit zero range with 0.6 miles to go on the GPS. Thankfully the reserve buffer was enough to get me there. I swore never again, but found myself is a similar, yet not so extreme situation. Cold weather stinks.

Reactions: Daniel Smith
When I got to my destination and started heading back, the Navigation showed that I would make it back home with 3% battery left which left me pretty uneas

I'd be happy with 3% with 25 miles to go, but I would have SatNav set for the destination and the TRIP view screen displaying. I'd drive "modestly" and if it dropped a percent I'd slow right down (but if it went up a percent, or even two, I'd resume my normal driving speed). if I was concerned I'd turn off Climate, but I'd still run Seat Heaters on #1 until I became very worried!