Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pushing Delivery Day Beyond 12/31

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an ETA of 12/22-12/28. I have told my SA that I don't want to take delivery prior to 12/31 due to property taxes. Has anyone been successful in pushing their delivery day back beyond the '3 day' window they allow you? She said I could refuse the car, but then that starts the entire order process over, and going into next quarter, could be alot longer than a few days as 1st shipments all export.

They will give your VIN to someone else that can take delivery before year end. Then you will get a new VIN when they have one for you in the new year.

This is what happened to me. I was supposed to take delivery before quarter end, timing didn't allow. They removed my VIN and i waited 1.5 months to get another one. (This was back in 2018, things may be different today)

I have an ETA of 12/22-12/28. I have told my SA that I don't want to take delivery prior to 12/31 due to property taxes. Has anyone been successful in pushing their delivery day back beyond the '3 day' window they allow you? She said I could refuse the car, but then that starts the entire order process over, and going into next quarter, could be alot longer than a few days as 1st shipments all export.

You can say you dont want delivery, but if they assign you a vin they will simply assign it to someone else. They will not hold "that car" for you. You may not deal with the entire wait process again, but they are not going to hold that vin for you to take delivery early into next year.

Other car dealers would also push for you to pick up this year for financial reasons (end of incentives, etc), but with other car dealers you might be able to slow play them and still do what you want. Tesla will simply give "your vin" (your assigned vin) to someone else and move on, and take you off the "to be delivered" list until 01/01/2021.

TL ; DR - your only hope is that they match you very late that week, and you tell them you are out of town. They will still likely give your car to someone else but you may get to pick up a car early in 2021 if there are some left over in your build. If there arent any left over in your build (unlikely) you might have to wait till close to end of quarter 1.

Tesla pushes like crazy to get all their local production delivered locally by EOY. Then they begin to push production to Europe and Asia.This will enable them to be delivered overseas by first Quarter.

If you delay to next year, there may be a longer than normal wait to get your car.

I know Tesla is in a huge push for 500,000 deliveries, so I know they are pushing everything possible to 4th quarter deliveries. I also work in the auto industry and if it comes in after Christmas, we are on mandatory open to close shifts until January 2nd, so I realistically will have a hard time to get the car picked up. It's a 3 hour drive for me to pick it up. These are the responses I was prepared to receive, so we'll just deal with the best we can. If it comes in before Christmas, I can grab. I do already have a VIN uploaded to my account. The SA did say if they had excess inventory built that didn't get delivered, that would be the only hopes to be able to pick one up from inventory that wouldn't delay until end of 1st quarter 2021.

I am in the same boat. I have my window on Tesla's site right now showing 12-19 through 12-31. No VIN assigned yet and the dealership said most likely the delivery will be right around Christmas. Would much rather get it on Jan 2nd than December 27th but have a feeling Tesla is going to do everything in their power to get it delivered by year end to get the revenue and avoid having to pay the property taxes. What worries me a bit is they might rush to get it through and there could be some quality issues. If I show up for delivery and notice misaligned panels or paint issues has anyone been able to keep the same VIN assignment and just refuse delivery until the issues are fixed. Or does Tesla just say accept it and we will fix it later or we are going to give away the car to the next person?

Reactions: tstolze
Yeah if you don't take delivery you will most likely be waiting another 2 month to get a car...

Generally you wouldn't refuse delivery for those sorts of issues. You usually note any issues at delivery (or i think you have a couple days after delivery to let them know about them), then take delivery and then if needed you take it in for service at a later time to get the car detailed, or gaps adjusted. The no contact delivery is fairly quick at least, so if you can even get a 30-60 minute break, you might be able to do it (assuming service center is that close).

We are in the same situation, we let our SA know that we would not take delivery until 1/2 on our two M3's and that we know that might push delivery back to Feb/March. So far we have only received one text letting us know we can still take delivery this month if we change our minds.