TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Pushing out my delivery to get AP 2.0

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by eclipxe, Dec 2, 2015.

1. eclipxe

eclipxe Member

I order in Oct but asked for a 2016 VIN. Estimated delivery was late Jan/Early Feb.

I have a strong suspicion that AP 2.0 and other hardware changes are right around the corner - I've just asked my DS to push my delivery out further.

Painful as I want the car RIGHT NOW, but I'd hate to take delivery and then see an announcement a week later.

Anyone else doing the same?

Also, since I'm leasing, I've considered just taking delivery and then executing the Happiness Guarantee within 90 days - however I'm not sure how much it would cost. Has anyone done it or inquired? My DS hasn't replied back yet.

2. Sparktz

Sparktz Member

I highly doubt that AP 2.0 is near since they are just releasing Model X, which has the same autopilot hardware as Model S. Even if it was near and the hardware is on the car, it is obvious from Elon's tweets that they are no where close to actually having software to run it.

If you are just doing a 3 year lease, I would pull the trigger and enjoy the car now. If you are going to wait until a functioning AP 2.0 is out there, I bet that you will be waiting 2-4 years.

3. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

For the bolded part, since it appears stated as fact, how do you know this or is it an opinion or speculation?

4. MsElectric

MsElectric Active Member

We do know that that Model X Autopilot sensors are at least one camera more than the Model S as the Model X has dual front cameras. What else if may have, time will tell.

5. eclipxe

eclipxe Member

Agree with you on the software - that I don't care about right now. I want the hardware capability.

I'm fairly certain that the Model X's that actually ship to non-Founder Series customers will have new AP hardware.

6. Ryan MF

Ryan MF Member

Just hope it will be released before the end of your 3 yr lease!

7. hobbes

hobbes Active Member

Not true if this isn´t outdated:

Screen shot 2015-12-02 at 9.29.01 PM.png

Twitter

In the mules thread there was a reporting of one X with two cameras, but later ones
    only had one, just as the S.

8. Sparktz

Sparktz Member

Elon Musk was asked this on Twitter and stated that they were the same. Google "Elon Musk tweet model x autopilot same as model s" and it is the first link (sorry for being lazy).

9. eye.surgeon

eye.surgeon Member

AP 2.0 as far as hardware changes for MS is a long ways off.

10. eclipxe

eclipxe Member

Good points - I hadn't seen those tweets.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe based on this I won't push my order out - what about the Happiness Guarantee - has anyone executed on it? Ideal on the costs?

11. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Active Member

It's only with the lease, and you can't turn around and get another Tesla for some period of time.

12. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

That's a speculation.

No, we don't know that either, again that's speculation based on the picture on the TM website. They may have ditched it last minute and what the founders had delivered (single camera) is what everyone will have.

I think 2 cameras are coming soon, and they'll likely update both cars, but we don't know when. And I wouldn't call a dual camera Model S AP 2.0. I'd call it AP1.1 or AP1.5. That's not a huge change. 360 degree camera would be great too.

Now if they added a rear and/or cross-collision radars, I'd call that AP 2.0.

Depends on your definition of "long", but I disagree. I think it's not too far out. As far as software to take advantage of it? I would guess year+ out. Semi-autonomous highway driving should be here within 3-5 years.

As a side note, I don't think there will be a lot of AP increments. We have AP1.0 now, maybe AP2.0 will be out maybe not. After that it's going to be SA1.0 (semi-autonomous).

13. green1

green1 Active Member

It was stated when they launched the happiness guarantee that using it would block you from getting another Tesla for some time. No problem if you truly aren't happy with a Tesla, but a bit of an issue if using it as a ploy to try to get something more than you originally bought.

- - - Updated - - -

MX does not have dual cameras, some of the renderings on the website have them, but they don't show up in any photographs of actual vehicles.

14. Sparktz

Sparktz Member

It's only speculation if you assume that Elon Musk lied on Twitter when directly asked that question.

15. eclipxe

eclipxe Member

I'm leasing. And you can get another Tesla if it's an upgrade (although what happens if you have a P90DL? What can you upgrade to?)

Happiness Guarantee | Tesla Motors

On October 25th, 2014, Elon Musk announced significantly lower lease payments. Along with the lower payments, every vehicle lease comes with the Tesla’s Happiness Guarantee. If you don't like our car for any reason in the first 90 days, you can just return it and your remaining lease obligation is waived. While you cannot immediately lease another Tesla vehicle, you can upgrade to a higher optioned vehicle for a fee to cover the new vs used value difference. Contact us for more information.

16. Max*

And I bet you believe that the P85D makes 691HP?

Elon Musk has never lied or bend the truth or changed policies in the history of Tesla. O wait...

17. eclipxe

eclipxe Member

This isn't true:

On October 25th, 2014, Elon Musk announced significantly lower lease payments. Along with the lower payments, every vehicle lease comes with the Tesla’s Happiness Guarantee. If you don't like our car for any reason in the first 90 days, you can just return it and your remaining lease obligation is waived. While you cannot immediately lease another Tesla vehicle, you can upgrade to a higher optioned vehicle for a fee to cover the new vs used value difference. Contact us for more information.

18. Max*

Tesla will bend you over backwards with that red statement. Have you seen their trade-in estimates?

19. eclipxe

eclipxe Member

Based on the info on the site (Happiness Guarantee | Tesla Motors) you can upgrade to a higher optioned lease within 90 days.

Questions are:

1. What is the upgrade path from a P90DL with all options??
    2. How much is the cost to upgrade? Any rough ideas?

20. Sparktz

Sparktz Member

Well okay, I concede, if we are assuming that Musk lies then sure it is just speculation.