Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pushing the park button won't open door handles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

P100D_Me

Nov 12, 2018
Australia
Hi All,

Maybe this issue is since my last software update to 2022.8.10.6 (I'm not 100% sure but it is only recently). When I am parked and want all four door handles to open pushing the button on the end of the shift lever doesn't do it like in the past. I can use the MCU screen to unlock them all or the key fob but the 'Park' button no longer works.
I have tried an MCU reset just in case but it made no difference.

Has anyone else run into this problem?

TIA

There is a setting for Driver Door Unlock Mode. This can be used to only unlock the driver door versus unlocking all the doors. I think you can find that under Controls > Vehicle > Driver Door Unlock Mode.

Sounds like maybe that setting has gotten changed?? That's where I'd start.

Reactions: gillmj24
Ok I figured out what it was for those that run into this, the problem is Tesla bugs.
If you have 'PIN to drive' active then it stops working even if you've done the PIN and turned the car on, as soon as I disabled that then the button on the end of the shift lever unlocks all doors again.
As I said I don't know if this is a recent issue with 2022.8.10.6 as I only activated PIN to drive not long ago.

I now have this issue. 2016 refresh Model S on 2024.2.7.
Not certain if this started happening with the latest version.
A double press on the park button now puts the car in auto park mode ("choose a direction. Auto park will start after you exit the car") instead of moving the door handles. Note that the door handles still present via the fob or via the touch screen.

I've rebooted the car, checked on pin to drive, and checked the setting for unlock mode. My next plan is to just let the car sit for a couple days and try again.
It's been years since I've changed the settings regarding locking.
Any other ideas?

I now have this issue. 2016 refresh Model S on 2024.2.7.
Not certain if this started happening with the latest version.
A double press on the park button now puts the car in auto park mode ("choose a direction. Auto park will start after you exit the car") instead of moving the door handles. Note that the door handles still present via the fob or via the touch screen.

I've rebooted the car, checked on pin to drive, and checked the setting for unlock mode. My next plan is to just let the car sit for a couple days and try again.
It's been years since I've changed the settings regarding locking.
Any other ideas?
On my 15 it's always a single press on the park button to put it in park and/or present the handles...

On my 16 it’s also first press to Park and second press to extend all handle’s, but I’m on MCU1.

Sounds like a better behavior to me. It should be intentional. I personally wouldn't want "park" to automatically present all door handles.

Maybe I parked in a bad neighborhood for a minute and plan to drive away without anyone getting in or out.

Last edited:
Sounds like a better behavior to me. It should be intentional. I personally wouldn't want "park" to automatically present all door handles.

Maybe I parked in a bad neighborhood for a minute and plan to drive away without anyone getting in or out.
I'm on MCU1. Under the vehicle settings there's the option for unlock on park.

I would assume if you didn't have that checked that the handles would not extend when you press the park button?

• Informative
Reactions: father_of_6