Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Put a deposit on a P3D-, now they're unable to give me one

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Problem is I don't know how sales tax would be factored in...
I bought mine in Nevada, and am going to register it in Utah. The Tesla Store figured out the correct sales tax and licensing fees for Utah, and sent it all in for me. My plates should be showing up in the next couple of weeks. They are quite accustomed to people buying Teslas for out of state registration. It actually seems to be one of the areas where they provide adequate customer service.

They'll give you a "Special Drive Away Permit" that goes in the front windshield, lower right corner. Good for 15 days. Kind of a pain, as a cop that's behind you can't see it, and will most likely pull you over. You'll have to go through the hassle of a traffic stop and explain the situation, but that's about it.

Ah ok :/ Hoping for the comfort/range of the 19"

The range is most impacted by your ability to keep your foot out of it. ;) I have an SR+ and MP3+ and I can't tell any difference in the ride quality. I think the ride quality concerns of the 20s are over blown. Ask some folks on the forum that have the MP3+ and get their feedback but my butt says you can't feel a difference.

• Helpful
Reactions: bhzmark
The range is most impacted by your ability to keep your foot out of it. ;) I have an SR+ and MP3+ and I can't tell any difference in the ride quality. I think the ride quality concerns of the 20s are over blown. Ask some folks on the forum that have the MP3+ and get their feedback but my butt says you can't feel a difference.
The ride was surprisingly comfortable when I test drove the P3D+... almost more comfortable than the 19" I test drove. Could the Michelins on them also have helped?

There hasn't been any P3D- in white for quite some time... if you thought you were gonna get one you were lied to. They are existing stock, you cannot order one.

I just got matched pearl white with black interior last Tue and took delivery on Fri. Almost was SOL when I delayed my delivery by a week and was unmatched. Luckily found one at another SC and got shipped next day.

Apparently these are harder and harder to find but not impossible.

Last edited:
The ride was surprisingly comfortable when I test drove the P3D+... almost more comfortable than the 19" I test drove. Could the Michelins on them also have helped?

The Michelin PS4 is a great tire. The Tesla specified version of the tire also has the acoustic foam in it to help cut down on road noise.
When you go to replace them you can stick with the PS4 or switch to the AS3+, which is the all season version of the tire and they cost a little less. They give up a little performance but they offer even better ride quality and good for all year round.

The suspension and soft cushy seats help.

ventory P3D-. They didn't have any in the region in pearl white/black interior. Was also told that Tesla's not making new P3D- so what's left is it. The one pearl white/black interior ones left are all on the east coast, requiring an additional $2k for shipping... very frustrating as I had called/stopped by to confirm that I was guaranteed the car multiple times.
I have the M3P+ and the ride is softer than my old BRZ on 18" wheels.

Edit: Wow the 20" wheels also have the same disclaimer??
Model 3 20" Sport Wheel and Tire Package

The Model 3 Performance with the Performance Upgrade Package has a unique hub that has a 3 mm lip. The set of 20" you are mentioning may be for the non Performance Upgrade Package cars only.

See this: Aftermarket wheels on AWD Performance Model with performance upgrade

There are several aftermarket wheel manufacturers that account for this lip, such as: TSportline, Stance, Titan, etc.

My November 2018 build Performance Model 3 with PUP has this extra lip. I don't know if the newer PUP cars have this or not.

Not true, only the aero 18s won't clear the calipers. The 19s work fine.

If you want the right offset you’ll need to run a 4-5mm spacer on that 19” on a P3D+, due to the hub lip. Otherwise will sit 3-5mm too far in...

It is also possible (likely) that the 19” wheel is not machined to clear the P3D+ hub lip. So even if you tried to use it on the P3D+ (with the wrong offset), it would not work (would not sit flush on the rotor hat).

This is the reason the 20” wheels on the website don’t work with the P3D+ - wrong offset, and also probably not machined to clear the lip.

Here is a picture of the machining of the P3D+ 20” wheel.

To the OP, I would just wait for a P3D Stealth in your specs to become available. Insist on it. I kind of feel like they might make more. Worst case, you end up with a P3D+ in a month or two but don’t have to pay for a car to be shipped. No reason to force it. They are making so many cars one will eventually match.

Attachments

• E1FB86EA-D4EF-4860-B2CC-A2EACA3B4B69.jpeg
    E1FB86EA-D4EF-4860-B2CC-A2EACA3B4B69.jpeg
    299.4 KB · Views: 71
If you want the right offset you’ll need to run a 4-5mm spacer on that 19” on a P3D+, due to the hub lip. Otherwise will sit 3-5mm too far in...

It is also possible (likely) that the 19” wheel is not machined to clear the P3D+ hub lip. So even if you tried to use it on the P3D+ (with the wrong offset), it would not work (would not sit flush on the rotor hat).

This is the reason the 20” wheels on the website don’t work with the P3D+ - wrong offset, and also probably not machined to clear the lip.

To the OP, I would just wait for a P3D Stealth in your specs to become available. Insist on it. I kind of feel like they might make more. Worst case, you end up with a P3D+ in a month or two but don’t have to pay for a car to be shipped. No reason to force it. They are making so many cars one will eventually match.

so if I purchased the 19inch rims from Tesla I’d have to add something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=tmc064-20

so if I purchased the 19inch rims from Tesla I’d have to add something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=tmc064-20

I don’t have a specific recommendation (you can search here). I would make it minimum 4mm. As near as I can tell the machined lip on the wheel above is slightly less than 3mm with the depth measure on a caliper. But if the wheel is not flush it would be catastrophic so 3mm is suspect. Too thick (more than 5mm) you lose hub centering, generate poke, and your lug bolts will be too short.

You need to make sure inner diameter is large enough and bolt pattern is correct of course.