Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Put a deposit on a P3D-, now they're unable to give me one

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
lends even more credence to the fact that the LR AWD and the LR AWD Performance are the exact same car with a software update)
That has been mostly disproven, as all Performance cars have the 980 rear motor, and the LR AWD cars have the 990 rear motor.

Now it's possible that some 980 rear motor cars were initially built as LR AWD cars, then software upgraded to Performance, but as of yet, no one has taken delivery of a Performance car with a 990 rear motor.

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve read posts on here of people ordering a certain spec’d car only to change it for whatever reason on their own—paint color, tires, interior, model, etc. Really hard to know for sure a buyer won’t change his mind and want something else and they are basing production based on orders and those being filled timely.

It’s not like Tesla is making a ton of these cars in each config and storing them in some warehouse or filling up dealership lots waiting to be sold. They are in limited number based on demand, unlike the traditional manufactures who the press has reported are seeing slow sales and still have 2018 models on their lots. With Tesla sales doing well, if you can’t take delivery of a car when it's ready, it will get sold. Typically you’d have to wait for the next batch to come out of the factory in that config if you changed up or weren’t ready for delivery for whatever reason—business or personal. Something about a bird in hand... Maybe when OP asked about extending delivery time the decision to phase out P3D- hadn’t been made or communicated to the stores’ staff so it was assumed more would be coming out of the factory.

No doubt it’s disappointing to end up not getting the config you wanted. I guess at the moment he could still get it but sure the east coast ones will be sold quickly if not gone already. Glad to hear some of you have been having success.

Last edited:
No doubt it’s disappointing to end up not getting the config you wanted. I guess at the moment he could still get it

OP’s getting his. They are pumping out P3D Stealth continuously as far as we can tell. There appears to be no shortage, and presumably they’ll keep making them until demand dries up! It’s weird how Tesla employees keep suggesting they are limited quantity - perhaps it stokes demand (and also pushes people to buy P3D+) but it might also discourage some buyers.

Hopefully this will result in a much better quarter for Tesla. Going to be a lot more Performance sold than prior quarter. Wonder how the margins compare on that car vs. the SR+. Presumably they weren’t selling this config before, because they were battery constrained.

OP’s getting his. They are pumping out P3D Stealth continuously as far as we can tell. There appears to be no shortage, and presumably they’ll keep making them until demand dries up! It’s weird how Tesla employees keep suggesting they are limited quantity - perhaps it stokes demand (and also pushes people to buy P3D+) but it might also discourage some buyers.

Hopefully this will result in a much better quarter for Tesla. Going to be a lot more Performance sold than prior quarter. Wonder how the margins compare on that car vs. the SR+. Presumably they weren’t selling this config before, because they were battery constrained.
Really? I wasn’t aware this model was still being made that’s great. This is the first I’m hearing of it how did you find out?

Really? I wasn’t aware this model was still being made that’s great. This is the first I’m hearing of it how did you find out?

I don’t know. It just appears that people keep reporting that they are getting matched to vehicles here. We’ll see how long that continues for.

I have actually not seen anyone post that they can’t get one. (I’ve heard a lot about temp shortages but nothing long term.)

It also wouldn’t really make sense for them to stop making them, though that is not really a good reason to conclude that they will continue to make them.

They are pumping out P3D Stealth continuously as far as we can tell.

Oddly, there were zero white on black P3D- cars west of the Mississippi River when I ordered end of July. We had ours delivered from Nashville. Thankfully I was able to get the delivery fee waived because we just bought another X.

If they were “pumping these out,” one would assume a P3D- with the basic configuration would be available in the worlds largest Tesla market (California) proximate to the factory where they are being “pumped out.“

Unless that was a temporary constraint, but reading these comments, it still seems to be a supply-constrained configuration

Oddly, there were zero white on black P3D- cars west of the Mississippi River when I ordered end of July. We had ours delivered from Nashville. Thankfully I was able to get the delivery fee waived because we just bought another X.

If they were “pumping these out,” one would assume a P3D- with the basic configuration would be available in the worlds largest Tesla market (California) proximate to the factory where they are being “pumped out.“

Unless that was a temporary constraint, but reading these comments, it still seems to be a supply-constrained configuration
My Sales Advisor wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed, so take this with a grain of salt... He said that manufacturing of the P3D- ended the last production day of July.

Do we have any P3D- owners with an August build date? I'd love to prove my SA wrong. ; )

That has been mostly disproven, as all Performance cars have the 980 rear motor, and the LR AWD cars have the 990 rear motor.

Now it's possible that some 980 rear motor cars were initially built as LR AWD cars, then software upgraded to Performance, but as of yet, no one has taken delivery of a Performance car with a 990 rear motor.

Far as we've been able to tell, 100% of AWD cars came with the 980 rear motor in 2018 and are physically identical to P3D- cars made then only difference is software.

The 990 in AWDs is a relatively new thing (start of 2019 for European cars, not sure I've seen a US one built earlier than maybe March/April 2019 with a 990, but Alan can probably answer that better)

Reactions: Phlier
My Sales Advisor wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed, so take this with a grain of salt... He said that manufacturing of the P3D- ended the last production day of July.

Do we have any P3D- owners with an August build date? I'd love to prove my SA wrong. ; )

Interesting. As you say, grain of salt... I guess I would have asked whether production resumed on the first production day in August!

We’ll find out if he was right in a week or two! My guess is he is wrong. Guess people should look for an August build date.

Far as we've been able to tell, 100% of AWD cars came with the 980 rear motor in 2018 and are physically identical to P3D- cars made then only difference is software.

The 990 in AWDs is a relatively new thing (start of 2019 for European cars, not sure I've seen a US one built earlier than maybe March/April 2019 with a 990, but Alan can probably answer that better)
Thanks for the clarification on that!