Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Put a Tesla motor in any car or truck ever made

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That looks like a bypass of the inverter controller board and an insertion of control level signals into the power section of the inverter. For me, the real prize is the ability to pop a MS motor/inverter package into XYZ, hook a throttle pedal to it then send the necessary CAN traffic to get the system to work as designed. Of course, any step forward is progress.

For those interested in deep CAN sniffing Jack does some CAN talk and Colin Kidder does a piece on using his Savvy CAN program, starting around the 1:14:00 mark,
https://youtu.be/0VTGhC5WUaA?t=1h14m28s I'm not a CAN guy but from what I understand it looks very interesting. The program is still in development, and it does crash on him, but after the crash he restarts and looks through some Model S data.
Then at 2:00:00 Jack shows some Model S test bench progress, and expects to have it turning after this weekend when the EVTV Hack Team shows up to work on it. Eventually he may install a Model S motor in a Factory Five GTM, which could be pretty interesting. https://youtu.be/0VTGhC5WUaA?t=2h Pro tip, I used to download the shows to watch them at double speed in VCL player, but recently found that Youtube has the same features in the "Settings" menu.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any word yet on if there is any type of authentication occurring before the drive unit will fire up? It would be interesting to see if it is just a few CAN initialization messages and a dual or triple swipe throttle pedal input needed to use the power unit.

Paraphrasing
I'm not going to power it up any more because I do not want to have it roll across the floor. I did that already and it is not good for the wood floor or the apartment.

Gotta love this guy. I could listen to him all day :)

I is going to be fantastic when the CAN enable communication is sorted. Tesla did a superior job with the whole inverter/motor/diff packaging.

Paraphrasing
I'm not going to power it up any more because I do not want to have it roll across the floor. I did that already and it is not good for the wood floor or the apartment.

Gotta love this guy. I could listen to him all day :)

I is going to be fantastic when the CAN enable communication is sorted. Tesla did a superior job with the whole inverter/motor/diff packaging.

At 13:14 -- "So as you can see, the motor is spinning -- the shaft is spinning happily. We cannot go too fast at this moment, because I don't want this drivetrain to leave this room and roll somewhere else -- which already happened to me in the past with a different motor and I do not wish to repeat that -- especially a wooden floor does not like sharp rotating objects."

:biggrin:

I know that Jack and I don't see eye to eye on many things, but I have to congratulate him and the others for being able to pull this off. I'm sure this wasn't easy. I can't wait to see what they stuff it into....