Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Put cycle rack on rear of Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last month I bought a 2017 Model S 75D -- really love it. I still have an old cycle rack I used with my Volvo V60, and I'm exploring whether it works to use it on the Tesla. I'd be very grateful for thoughts on whether what you see in these photos seems like a good vs. bad idea. The upper hooks connect with the metal of the tailgate; they're not hooking onto the glass. But the upper rubber sections rest on the glass... Is the weight (with 2 bikes) likely to be too much for the glass?

IMG_5726.JPG

IMG_5727.JPG

I wouldn't be so worried of the weight if were talking about light road cycles or similar. But. I think that type of rack is intended for a vertical tail gate. Would you be able to ensure the pedals, handlebar etc. wouldn't touch the car especially in case of emergency braking or speed bumps etc.?

Also, wouldn"t the 2 bikes rub on each other in that type of positioning?

I recently bought a Rockbros suction cup rack for 2 bikes for only 150e delivered. Cannot say if it is good or not yet as first use is next weekend, but it seems like a proper copy of sea sucker rack, and both have almost only positive reviews.

Last edited:
You have the Pano roof, so you have specific attachment points for a real roof rack. Expensive, yes, but you say you love your car, so you’re likely to keep it for some time.
for bikes, a hitch rack is the most convenient, bit, adding a hitch, and the cost of the rack is also pricey.
depending on how often you take the bikes, with the rear seat folded down, two bikes could fit with the front tire removed. Not easily, but it can work.

I’ve used both the Seasucker rack and more recently had a hitch fitted which allows me to use a rack from 1-UP. Although I’m in the US I’m originally from the UK. My preference if I were still in the UK would be for a hitch mounted rack - something from Thule - or if you didn’t want to go down that route something from Seasucker. If you have the pano roof the roof rack as suggested above is probably the best lowest-cost option for you.

Attachments

• 03BC85DF-1068-4D21-A217-25B9BFC83A8C.jpeg
    03BC85DF-1068-4D21-A217-25B9BFC83A8C.jpeg
    652.5 KB · Views: 121
  • 3D54A134-AE30-47EB-B8A6-2103D9873A27.jpeg
    3D54A134-AE30-47EB-B8A6-2103D9873A27.jpeg
    880.5 KB · Views: 112
I’ve used both the Seasucker rack and more recently had a hitch fitted which allows me to use a rack from 1-UP. Although I’m in the US I’m originally from the UK. My preference if I were still in the UK would be for a hitch mounted rack - something from Thule - or if you didn’t want to go down that route something from Seasucker. If you have the pano roof the roof rack as suggested above is probably the best lowest-cost option for you.
Did you ever make any comparison on effect in consumption / range between the two rack options? Seasucker positions bikes more aerodynamically, but hitch rack provides the best shelter from drag...

Did you ever make any comparison on effect in consumption / range between the two rack options? Seasucker positions bikes more aerodynamically, but hitch rack provides the best shelter from drag...
I didn’t as for a fair comparison you’d have to do controlled experiment with the same road, bikes, temperature, speed etc. For what it’s worth my sense if that the roof mounted option is higher drag than hitch-mounting the bikes. It’s easier to mount the bikes quickly and no need to remove the front wheel either.

Reactions: Saimaannorppa