Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Put off my insurance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m very keen to buy a new model 3 long range and the only thing putting me off is insurance. Some quotes were silly (£6k) but the direct line Tesla insurance was more realistic at £1,200. I’ve only ever owned standard family cars like my current vw Tiguan (£350) and never had an accident but I’m worried what would happen to the premium if I did

has anyone been unfortunate enough to insure a model 3 and make a claim? Did it make the insurance premiums silly?

Might be being overly cautious here but would be great to hear the experiences of others! Thanks

In a similar position to you. I just purchased insurance through Churchill for my M3P (which I believe is technically Direct Line). They were considerably cheaper than other insurance companies. Worried that next year, they'll hike up the prices and other insurance companies won't be an option because they're currently like three times the price of what Churchill are currently charging.

In a similar position to you. I just purchased insurance through Churchill for my M3P (which I believe is technically Direct Line). They were considerably cheaper than other insurance companies. Worried that next year, they'll hike up the prices and other insurance companies won't be an option because they're currently like three times the price of what Churchill are currently charging.

My renewal came up with Churchill recently and the cost was less than the year before. Very out of character for an insurance company. You actual premium is heavily influenced by postcode and driving history, I'm paying under £400 fully comp on a LR.

I’m very keen to buy a new model 3 long range and the only thing putting me off is insurance. Some quotes were silly (£6k) but the direct line Tesla insurance was more realistic at £1,200. I’ve only ever owned standard family cars like my current vw Tiguan (£350) and never had an accident but I’m worried what would happen to the premium if I did

has anyone been unfortunate enough to insure a model 3 and make a claim? Did it make the insurance premiums silly?

Might be being overly cautious here but would be great to hear the experiences of others! Thanks

Depends on so many factors ... huge range of prices but some people were getting below £300 last year ... Churchill and LV get mentioned frequently on this forum (Churchill for me).

Insurance quotes on Teslas dont seem to make any sense.

30 years old, was insured on an Aston Martin V8 Vantage = £800. Insurance on a LR M3 from the same company (DL) was quoted at £1900? Makes no sense.

But then we have people who seem to be quoted sub £400? Yes postcodes make a difference but that premium/reduction is built into the insurance you got for your previous car too.

Simil

Similar experience last year. Went with DL at £1200. Renewal this year was a little less and I got it down further by saying I wanted it to be under £1000 and also reduced the annual mileage. Then I upped it a by paying to protect NCD but still lower than last years total! Good luck and enjoy the chance to ‘green’ and fun driving.

For Those renewing, my advice is start looking early, as early as you possibly can with is usually about 30 days. Every year I have to shop around for insurance for 4 cars in our house (mine mrs and kids) and fluctuations can vary massively sometimes from one day to the next. Even just changing the start day one or two days either way can mean the difference of hundreds!

There used to be a time that an insurance company used to give you a quote and that was that guaranteed for X amount of days but this is not longer the case, its much more dynamic and boggles your mind as how premiums actually get worked out.

Just keep trying every day folks. You numbers might come up!

Reactions: roadcred
The big issues with Tesla is that they have to essentially go back to Tesla for any repairs - there’s no 3rd party garages that use “genuine” parts as with every other brand.

Your declared annual mileage and excess will have the biggest difference on your quote, closely followed by job and jobs of your additional drivers.

Obviously make sure the annual mileage is realistic but if you only drive 10k a year don’t select 20k just in case! You can always up it later in the year if you are wildly out.