TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Put the 19" wheels back on for a week - what a better ride!

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by sammyfan711, Oct 9, 2016.

1. sammyfan711

sammyfan711 Member

I'm getting my winter tires put on my grey turbines (and getting some road rash refurbished on a couple of wheels) and went back to the 19" slipstreams for a week - what a difference in ride quality!

The noise went from very little to almost none but the main difference is this additional cushion of air you just glide on with the 19"'s.

It seems like this car was meant to be driven on the smaller tires but I just can't quit those gorgeous turbines!

I'm really going to enjoy this week.

Anyone else switch back and forth between the different sizes and notice this drastic difference?

2. Cloxxki

Cloxxki Member

Technically, isn't there less rim, more tyre?

Formula 1 does it with 13" rims and tall tyres. Requires very little suspension travel, the tyres passively do the work. In cycling, "fat bikes" and "plus bike"are on the up. Low tech comfort.

• Dislike x 1
  3. NewJerseyMS

NewJerseyMS Member

I have the 21s and just got my car. Bought 19s for winter and will do the switch.

4. golfnut

golfnut Member

Funny thing is, I just took my car with 21s in for annual service today and got a loaner without air susp and on 19s. I'm happy I have the 21s. Maybe the air is the difference, but it made me glad I opted for the look and got the feel I like better too. At least until I have to replace those tires! :(

5. sammyfan711

sammyfan711 Member

I guess it is a more sporty feel - my initial ride on the highway with the 21"s was shocking though. From luxury to sportsy was quite different to me - plus the power usage is so much less with the 19"s!

But don't get me wrong - the look of the 21" tires is irreplaceable! I like getting to check out both for sure - these cars are just too much fun!

6. sorka

sorka Active Member

I just put my 19"s back on. Have switched back and fourth 5 or 6 times by now.

The 19's have more give when riding road irregularities with the Michelin Primacies but more noise and and more vibration from the tire compound.

The 21"s with their summer tire compound have less noise and less vibration from rough roads. Rough roads that have irregularities that are gravel sized also feel smoother and less harsh with the 21" summer tire.

Obviously a 19" summer compound would be the best of both worlds but then they wouldn't be all season which is what the 19"s are for.

• Love x 1
  7. rogbmw

rogbmw Member

I recently changed from my 21s to TST wheels with 19 inch tires which I removed when we got our can and upgraded to the 21s. The 21s were worn, but there was definitely a difference between the 19s and 21s - with the comfort nod going to the 19s. I am going to leave the 19s on until I need to change tires.

8. Cnasty

Cnasty Member

I have the 19s and they diminish the beauty of this car substantially. I was not going to pay what Tesla wanted for the 21s though and you are exactly right the ride on the 19s is beautiful.

I am thinking of powder coating them gloss black for my solid black tesla or just suck it up and get a pair of used 21s as they complete the car.

With the slipstreams I feel like its an overpriced Camry or Accord with how it makes the car look. Personal opinion of course.

• Like x 1
  9. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

The 19s tramline like crazy, not an issue with the 21s.

• Informative x 1
  10. Cloxxki

Cloxxki Member

What if rims had same-colored skirts that ran up halfway the sidewall of the tyre, wouldn't that solve most people's core problem with 19's?

• Dislike x 1
  11. cab

cab Member

This is one area where I think the dual motor cars have an advantage. I have a P85+ and have both the 21s with PS2s, and 19" slipstreams with the Goodyear touring tires. The Goodyears are much quieter but do not grip anywhere near as well as the PS2s. A dual motor would solve my traction problem even with 19s (i.e. almost the best of both worlds)...of course the 21s still look way better! If I could get a really quiet 21" (staggered) I'd go for it. The new PSS MIGHT be quieter than the PS2s (note, I am talking about quieter on grooved concrete and chipped asphalt, not smooth blacktop), but not too many out there on Teslas yet, and it is a ton of coin to drop on something that can be very subjective and has so many variables.

12. ⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️

⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️ Liked, but not well liked.

Dual shmooal. I'd rather take my family out to dinner a 100 times. No, I can't do both. What thread is this?:rolleyes:

13. Gig103

Gig103 Member

Did you buy OEM 19s and if so did you get them from Tesla direct, ebay, or other? The 21s were the only part of my pending inventory car I am not excited for.

14. NewJerseyMS

NewJerseyMS Member

I got them from the Tesla website. Pretty good price for rims and tires.

15. wdolson

wdolson Active Member

People sell tires and rims all the time. You can find them on Ebay and they are also for sale under the Tesla parts for sale here. A fair number of people take off their stock wheels and put on aftermarket tires, so 19" are not tough to come by.

Personally, I don't get the fascination with the look of low profile tires. I think they look ridiculous and would have gone for 17 inch tires if they had been an option. But the low profile look is popular these days. I don't get sunroofs either, but they are popular too.

Personally, I think higher profile tires have a lot of advantages: smoother ride, better tire life, and less risk or rim damage from rough roads. They are usually cheaper too.

The low profile tires give a little bit better performance on curves, but I think the advantage is overrated. For a 4500 pound car, it handles excellently on 19" tires IMO.

But to each their own. The world has a wide range of vehicle types because there is a wide range of tastes.