Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Putting 2022 19" wheels/tires on 2017 Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

Does anyone know if the new tempest wheels/tires will fit on the older model S? From what I understand they are slightly wider and I want to make sure they will work well for both driving dynamics and computer not freaking out.

Bonus question, will I see substantial improvements in range, performance, and/or comfort going from 21" turbines? If I switch, I'll keep the hubs on.

Last edited:
Hi,

Does anyone know if the new tempest wheels/tires will fit on the older model S? From what I understand they are slightly wider and I want to make sure they will work well for both driving dynamics and computer not freaking out.

Bonus question, will I see substantial improvements in range, performance, and/or comfort going from 21" turbines? If I switch, I'll keep the hubs on.
I bought used Tempest 19" wheels with standard all season 245/45 R19 XL tires with gen II TPMS from a person who said the wheels were used on his 2017 MS. Installed the Tempest wheels today on my 2013 MS P85 with air suspension. No fitment problems, though I still have not driven in the low suspension setting. Installed the covers to see if there is any range gain over my 21" turbine and arachnid wheels.

Hi,

Does anyone know if the new tempest wheels/tires will fit on the older model S?

Bonus question, will I see substantial improvements in range, performance, and/or comfort going from 21" turbines?

If you reed the web then it might give you around 6% mileage gain, so around 20 miles. If the rims are wider than 8,5 inch then you need at least 5mm spacers on front as it might come in contact with suspension parts. Rear would be fine. You need also to check does they come with the refresh type of TPM valves or with suitable Continental type.

If you reed the web then it might give you around 6% mileage gain, so around 20 miles. If the rims are wider than 8,5 inch then you need at least 5mm spacers on front as it might come in contact with suspension parts. Rear would be fine. You need also to check does they come with the refresh type of TPM valves or with suitable Continental type.

What would be the issue if they come with The new TPM valves?

Every reply here missed the original question.

OP wants to know if the new (2021+) Tempest wheels will work on the older Model S (2013-2021 pre-Paladium).

The offsets are different and will push the wheels further out toward the fender. In my opinion, they should fit but I cannot validate that. If they do fit, they should be more visually appealing than the 2020/2021 Tempest wheels because they will fill out the wheel well better. but again, I have not seen it on the forum yet so I am not 100% sure they will fit without issues.

You will need Spacers
He absolutely would not need spacers, as the new wheels are already a more aggressive offset.

Your TPMS system cannot use the new sensors. The 2021+ cars use a Bluetooth sensor and the older cars do not have that technology. The good news is the older style sensors are cheap and readily available on Amazon. The newer BT sensors are expensive and can only be purchased from Tesla or someone reselling Tesla sensors, so you can remove the BT ones and sell them for a profit compared to the older style sensors.

They will still keep the air in the tires for sure but as @cmarshack described you will get annoyance on the IC about tires not sufficient pressurised. As I do not know the refresh rim data (though that OP would know as is interested in purchase), then I suggested that if the rim width is more than 8,5 inch and the offset is same as old 40mm then your new setup will come in contact with the suspension part at front. I have summer tyres on 9inch width rims and have to use 5mm spacers at front axle to come clear on installing.

Every reply here missed the original question.

OP wants to know if the new (2021+) Tempest wheels will work on the older Model S (2013-2021 pre-Paladium).

The offsets are different and will push the wheels further out toward the fender. In my opinion, they should fit but I cannot validate that. If they do fit, they should be more visually appealing than the 2020/2021 Tempest wheels because they will fill out the wheel well better. but again, I have not seen it on the forum yet so I am not 100% sure they will fit without issues.

He absolutely would not need spacers, as the new wheels are already a more aggressive offset.

Your TPMS system cannot use the new sensors. The 2021+ cars use a Bluetooth sensor and the older cars do not have that technology. The good news is the older style sensors are cheap and readily available on Amazon. The newer BT sensors are expensive and can only be purchased from Tesla or someone reselling Tesla sensors, so you can remove the BT ones and sell them for a profit compared to the older style sensors.
Can you please link the sensors on amazon that you recommend getting?

Anyone ever finish this setup? I read through about half a dozen threads where people seemed to start the project but not finish posting about it. I would love to buy a cheap set of pull off 19" tempests and have as a backup or winter option to my 21s. Using the willitfit calculator it looks like spacers are needed to clear the suspension. Anyone have the exact sizes needed? Anyone notice any range/performance improvements from the lighter weight and extra rubber?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230415_130538_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230415_130538_Chrome.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 225
  • Screenshot_20230415_130501_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230415_130501_Chrome.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 93
  • Informative
Reactions: Nosken
I bought used Tempest 19" wheels with standard all season 245/45 R19 XL tires with gen II TPMS from a person who said the wheels were used on his 2017 MS. Installed the Tempest wheels today on my 2013 MS P85 with air suspension. No fitment problems, though I still have not driven in the low suspension setting. Installed the covers to see if there is any range gain over my 21" turbine and arachnid wheels.
There are 2-3 types of "tempest" wheels. The early one are 19x8.5 35et with 245/45 R19 2020-21 these will fit on any Model s and x. I think these were on a the early "refresh" model S and were a square setup.

The later "tempest" are the staggered setup on the 2021, 2022, 2023 19 x 9.5 et40 and 19 x 10.5 et45. These have 255/45 R19 in the front and 285/40 R19 in the back.

I bought a 19x10.5" (rear) bare rim off of ebay. It can be bolted to the car but rubs on the fender liner and the frame is right behind the liner.

So the answer is no the 19x10.5" rim will not just bolt up with tires.

If you mounted longer studs and used spacers 15mm (minimum) and tires that would be very close to the width of the 10.5" rim.
Then maybe you could make the 10.5" rim fit in the back.
I have not tried the 9.5" rim yet. I've got a 9.5x19 inch rim on the way from ebay. fingers crossed!

There are 2-3 types of "tempest" wheels. The early one are 19x8.5 35et with 245/45 R19 2020-21 these will fit on any Model s and x. I think these were on a the early "refresh" model S and were a square setup.

The later "tempest" are the staggered setup on the 2021, 2022, 2023 19 x 9.5 et40 and 19 x 10.5 et45. These have 255/45 R19 in the front and 285/40 R19 in the back.

I bought a 19x10.5" (rear) bare rim off of ebay. It can be bolted to the car but rubs on the fender liner and the frame is right behind the liner.

So the answer is no the 19x10.5" rim will not just bolt up with tires.

If you mounted longer studs and used spacers 15mm (minimum) and tires that would be very close to the width of the 10.5" rim.
Then maybe you could make the 10.5" rim fit in the back.
I have not tried the 9.5" rim yet. I've got a 9.5x19 inch rim on the way from ebay. fingers crossed!
Please keep us posted and lets see some pics if you get time. Would love to run 285s in the rear and 255s up front.

In the front the 19"x9.5" rim rubs on the aluminum suspension/knuckle/upright it just makes contact with the inner lip/edge of the rim.

In the rear the 19"x9.5" rim and 255/45R19 tire has clearance to the body but rubs on the liner farther up on the inner fender.

• Love
Reactions: CAPTRS777