Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Putting Everything into Perspective

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It has always been said from the beginning AFAIK that the Signature would have VERY limited options. Or to put it another way loaded because they wanted to have as few possibilites of variation as possible for the start of the production line. They will be adding more as time goes by. I think they even said after Signature runs they will be adding one paint color a month or something like that. The idea is start slowly and work up to more complicated.

Eh, OK. Maybe 1% of people actually want a red car that badly, and really want worse-performing wheels. Why are they even offering colors other than red for the Signature then? Why are they even offering the better wheels? I suppose a small additional fraction of people are willing to spend over $1000 per month to get their car earlier, but surely it would be simpler for Tesla to offer only one color and no wheel options....
The 21" wheels have worse performance in all scenarios (or even typical scenarios) than the 19" wheels? Can you provide some supporting references for that? I'll forward them along to my Tesla rep.

It has always been said from the beginning AFAIK that the Signature would have VERY limited options. Or to put it another way loaded because they wanted to have as few possibilites of variation as possible for the start of the production line. They will be adding more as time goes by. I think they even said after Signature runs they will be adding one paint color a month or something like that. The idea is start slowly and work up to more complicated.
I had the same understanding. In fact, I was already resigned to an expectation that I would have to get the rear seats. I'm glad they chose to make that an option, so I don't have to.

The 21" wheels have worse performance in all scenarios (or even typical scenarios) than the 19" wheels? Can you provide some supporting references for that? I'll forward them along to my Tesla rep.

"Every scenario" just plain wrong. They do have performance advantages. Under hard cornering the narrower tires will roll over less, so they are more stable under hard cornering. They may also have better rolling resistance.

The main disadvantages are poorer wear and greater possibility of damage to the rims.

My main concern. I had low profiles (just 18" wheels) on my old GLI and was always effing up wheels on trips into NYC or Philly. Same on my R8 (that has 19" wheels). Whenever I go to NY or any city now I just take the Q5, has huge sidewalls to deal with crappy roads.

Try driving the Roadster for a while.....you VERY quickly get used to watching out for potholes and high kerbs. Good news is that it becomes habit, to the point where my wife wondered what I was doing swerving around a high drain cover in her SUV.

"$79,900 plus additional standard equipment"

"Additional standard equipment"
"$5000"

This should have simply stated "$84,900 with the following standard equipment".

I agree that it would be wiser to announce the performance car as $84,900. Won't participate in speculating on the reasons for that. "When in doubt, always assume stupidity over malevolence." In any case, if someone orders a car as expensive as a Model S performance based on that pricing sheet and later finds out that it costs $5000 more - no sorry. Remember, the sport package in the Roadster costs $25k to shave off 0.2 sec in the 0-60 time. With Model S Performance, you shave off a whopping 1.2 sec for just $15k - a real bargain for anyone who values performance!