Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Putting Model S 19" Slipstreams on my Model X Performance.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all.

I've got a 2019 Model X Performance, and I keep having problems with my stock 20" Slipstream wheels.

1.) They keep getting warped, I suspect due to the poor roads (potholes and the like)
2.) They're easy to curb
3.) The tires are noisy.
etc. etc.

I was thinking to go down to 19" and was wondering if there was any problem with using the same style ones made for the Model S.

I have a set from an old Model S that I'm not using. As far as I know, the front and rear wheels are the same width, so are not staggered. But they are narrower than the Model X wheels.

The stock X Slipstreams are 20x9.0" (front) and 20x9.5" (rear) and run 255/45/R20 and 275/45/R20 respectively.

The stock S Slipstreams are 19x8.0" (front AND rear) and usually run 245/45/R19s. If I put them on my X, I would use 245/50/R19 or 245/55/R19s.

I figure the narrower tires and fatter side wall will actually improve efficiency and give me a softer/quieter ride. And as the wheel style is the same, I'm hoping will retain the look (at first glance at least).

Any problems with this idea?

Model S gross axle weight ratings on the 19's:

1300kg front
1500kg rear

Model X gross axle weight ratings on the 20's:
1470kg front
1720kg rear

The rear axle weight rating is to account for the additional vehicle weight but also the additional ~200lb per rear wheel of tongue weight from a 500lb trailer tongue towing a 5000lb max trailer, and up to 7 passengers and their gear. It's not that much heavier as a vehicle alone, but also a vehicle capable on paper of carrying 858lb more than the S. So, it's not just a 250lb difference. Also, the failure modes for a tow vehicle losing a tire are all extremely bad news - rollover on an X is unlikely,but if it's gonna happen, I'd expect it to happen from losing a tire while towing and having the trailer act as a lever.

In other words, if you're not towing, I wouldn't worry about it much. But it's also not gonna be technically strong enough.

If I were you I'd order a set of the split-5spoke 19's from Tire Rack with 265/50-19's and call it a day, and sell the old S wheels.

Also, the 19's on the S are ET40 I beileve? Might want a small spacer, like a 12mm

Last edited:
Reactions: randvegeta
Model S gross axle weight ratings on the 19's:

1300kg front
1500kg rear

Model X gross axle weight ratings on the 20's:
1470kg front
1720kg rear

The rear axle weight rating is to account for the additional vehicle weight but also the additional ~200lb per rear wheel of tongue weight from a 500lb trailer tongue towing a 5000lb max trailer, and up to 7 passengers and their gear. It's not that much heavier as a vehicle alone, but also a vehicle capable on paper of carrying 858lb more than the S. So, it's not just a 250lb difference. Also, the failure modes for a tow vehicle losing a tire are all extremely bad news - rollover on an X is unlikely,but if it's gonna happen, I'd expect it to happen from losing a tire while towing and having the trailer act as a lever.

In other words, if you're not towing, I wouldn't worry about it much. But it's also not gonna be technically strong enough.

If I were you I'd order a set of the split-5spoke 19's from Tire Rack with 265/50-19's and call it a day, and sell the old S wheels.

Also, the 19's on the S are ET40 I beileve? Might want a small spacer, like a 12mm

the same applies in the other direction, the larger dia wheels will also have an effect on towing (which 99% of people don't do)

I have been using Model S Slipstreams on my Model X 5 passenger for 4 years now. I mounted 245/55R19 Michelin on them. I also put 6mm spacers behind the wheels. I have had zero problems with this setup and get over 300 miles of range, 310WH/mile. I have five wheels and tires and rotate them regularly. I have 40,000 miles on the tires now and it looks like I will make at least 50,000 miles on them before I have to replace them.

I have been using Model S Slipstreams on my Model X 5 passenger for 4 years now. I mounted 245/55R19 Michelin on them. I also put 6mm spacers behind the wheels. I have had zero problems with this setup and get over 300 miles of range, 310WH/mile. I have five wheels and tires and rotate them regularly. I have 40,000 miles on the tires now and it looks like I will make at least 50,000 miles on them before I have to replace them.

do you have a pic of how much thread engagement you have with your setup?

do you have a pic of how much thread engagement you have with your setup?
I am not sure what you mean by "thread engagement", but I attached pictures of the tire tread today from one front and one back tire. The depth is 6/32" from the original 11/32"

Attachments

• IMG_20210426_162627190[1].jpg
    IMG_20210426_162627190[1].jpg
    536.9 KB · Views: 967
  • IMG_20210426_162716687[1].jpg
    IMG_20210426_162716687[1].jpg
    504 KB · Views: 222
sorry, I mean where the wheel lug nuts hold the wheel to the car.
Eight and a half turns on the lug wrench until tight. As you can see from the second photo, the threads on the lug nut do not extend to the front of the nut, so I there is plenty of thread contract. Most recommend at least 6 and 1/2 turns.

Attachments

• IMG_20210426_170449882[1].jpg
    IMG_20210426_170449882[1].jpg
    313.9 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_20210426_170853762[1].jpg
    IMG_20210426_170853762[1].jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_20210426_171043449[1].jpg
    IMG_20210426_171043449[1].jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 247
Reactions: spaghetti
Eight and a half turns on the lug wrench until tight. As you can see from the second photo, the threads on the lug nut do not extend to the front of the nut, so I there is plenty of thread contract. Most recommend at least 6 and 1/2 turns.
thanks for the pics. yeah, looks about the same as OEM! I am likely going to run 20x8.5 with 265s square

Wow, this is EXACTLY what I wanted to know.

So both front and rear wheels are the R19 Slipstreams from the Model S?

You use a 6mm spacer on all 4 or just the rear? Considering the wheels are supposed to be wider at the back than the front, wouldnt you need wider spacers for the rear?

How do you find ride quality, handling and road noise? Is there any significant improvement vs the stock 20"s? Any noticeable difference in efficiency?

Would you be able to take a profile pic of the car? I'd like to see how noticeable the difference in looks are with the smaller rim and fatter tire wall.

Finally, is 245/55 the correct tire? I saw the Cyclone 19"s for Model X had 265/50. There is a slight difference in tire wall height, so I'm wondering how accurate your speed and odometer readings are.

Good to know. I guess I just wont tow on the 19"s. At least not on the Slipsteam 19"s.

Wow, this is EXACTLY what I wanted to know.

So both front and rear wheels are the R19 Slipstreams from the Model S?

You use a 6mm spacer on all 4 or just the rear? Considering the wheels are supposed to be wider at the back than the front, wouldnt you need wider spacers for the rear?

How do you find ride quality, handling and road noise? Is there any significant improvement vs the stock 20"s? Any noticeable difference in efficiency?

Would you be able to take a profile pic of the car? I'd like to see how noticeable the difference in looks are with the smaller rim and fatter tire wall.

Finally, is 245/55 the correct tire? I saw the Cyclone 19"s for Model X had 265/50. There is a slight difference in tire wall height, so I'm wondering how accurate your speed and odometer readings are.

Good to know. I guess I just wont tow on the 19"s. At least not on the Slipsteam 19"s.
Hi,
To answer your questions:
All wheels are R19 Slipstreams from the Model S. I had to shorten the lug nut covers 1/2" to match the look of them when on the 20" wheels. (see picture)
I used the 6mm spacers on all wheels. You could use them only on the back if you want, but the setup works well for me.
Ride, and road noise seems better. It can depend on which tire you use. I did not notice any real difference in handling, but obviously the wider lower profile 20" tires and wheels will handle better.
I immediately noticed about a 10% increase in range. My car is a 2017 5 passenger 100D.
The new tires stick out more from the wheels, so curb rash possibilities are greatly reduced.
I will attach some before and after pictures. The first one is with the stock tires. When I take it in for service, I have to point it out that I have 19" wheels.
The 245/55 Michelin Premier LTX tires are very close to the diam. of the original tires. They are .2" taller then the stock front tires and .1" shorter then the stock rear tires, so speed and odometer readings are near stock.
If you use the lower profile but wider 265/50 tires handling may be better but range will probably be lower due to more rubber on the road. Improved tire design, materials could effect range, ride, and handling so it's hard to says which is the best for you.
Hope this helps.

Attachments

• IMG_3901.JPG
    IMG_3901.JPG
    414.8 KB · Views: 263
  • IMG_4083.JPG
    IMG_4083.JPG
    552.3 KB · Views: 261
  • IMG_4096.JPG
    IMG_4096.JPG
    438.8 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_4089.JPG
    IMG_4089.JPG
    442.5 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_5278.JPG
    IMG_5278.JPG
    563.1 KB · Views: 255
Or you can do what I did and sh!tcan those stupid lug covers as soon as the car is delivered because they're an evil torture device designed to make your life miserable if you can't find your cover puller thingie

I'm not finding any 245/55's with the correct load range (108-ish) for the X, which is a little bit more of a concern - lots of choices in 255/50, which is a hair shorter in overall diameter but like the chart above says, that's an overblown issue unless you're really doings something wild, and you'll be seeing slightly better wh/mi than you're really getting on the dash, etc. - but again, that extra 200lb of load per tire is mostly going to be an issue for towing/hauling heavy loads

If I were to optimize this thing for my use it would not have V-rated, wide 20's on it. To me, it's pretty clear Tesla maximized the performance envelope of this thing with its tire choices, but for somebody who doesn't need 130+mph + towing capability + all-weather capability, in the real world? Overkill, and that tire choice compromises parts of the car I use every day like ride, noise, and efficiency. Wish they offered a "grandpa mode" OEM fitment but the 19's went away /rant off

Last edited:
Reactions: Kdewalt10
Or you can do what I did and sh!tcan those stupid lug covers as soon as the car is delivered because they're an evil torture device designed to make your life miserable if you can't find your cover puller thingie

I'm not finding any 245/55's with the correct load range (108-ish) for the X, which is a little bit more of a concern - lots of choices in 255/50, which is a hair shorter in overall diameter but like the chart above says, that's an overblown issue unless you're really doings something wild, and you'll be seeing slightly better wh/mi than you're really getting on the dash, etc. - but again, that extra 200lb of load per tire is mostly going to be an issue for towing/hauling heavy loads

If I were to optimize this thing for my use it would not have V-rated, wide 20's on it. To me, it's pretty clear Tesla maximized the performance envelope of this thing with its tire choices, but for somebody who doesn't need 130+mph + towing capability + all-weather capability, in the real world? Overkill, and that tire choice compromises parts of the car I use every day like ride, noise, and efficiency. Wish they offered a "grandpa mode" OEM fitment but the 19's went away /rant off
I understand your concern about the load range with my 103H tires. However, My X is a 5 passenger and is at least 500 lb lighter then a 7 passenger which has the 108 load range as stock so i was not too concerned.

Here in Europe 19" wheels are even recommended by Tesla for winter tyres. I'm using those model X 19" wheels summer and winter with the respective tyres. Handling is good, don't want to lose range or add road noise. No rim rash after 18 months. 265 tyres all around, also cheaper to buy. No spacers used. They fulfill all weight requirements and are regulated for the X.

Think they are called cyclone wheels, first image in silver to recognize them, had them powder coated in black.
20210401_124535.jpg
20210113_135825.jpg
20210113_135845.jpg
20210107_202149.jpg
20210107_202228.jpg

Attachments

• 20210302_202305.jpg
    20210302_202305.jpg
    559.2 KB · Views: 252
Hi,
To answer your questions:
All wheels are R19 Slipstreams from the Model S. I had to shorten the lug nut covers 1/2" to match the look of them when on the 20" wheels. (see picture)
I used the 6mm spacers on all wheels. You could use them only on the back if you want, but the setup works well for me.
Ride, and road noise seems better. It can depend on which tire you use. I did not notice any real difference in handling, but obviously the wider lower profile 20" tires and wheels will handle better.
I immediately noticed about a 10% increase in range. My car is a 2017 5 passenger 100D.
The new tires stick out more from the wheels, so curb rash possibilities are greatly reduced.
I will attach some before and after pictures. The first one is with the stock tires. When I take it in for service, I have to point it out that I have 19" wheels.
The 245/55 Michelin Premier LTX tires are very close to the diam. of the original tires. They are .2" taller then the stock front tires and .1" shorter then the stock rear tires, so speed and odometer readings are near stock.
If you use the lower profile but wider 265/50 tires handling may be better but range will probably be lower due to more rubber on the road. Improved tire design, materials could effect range, ride, and handling so it's hard to says which is the best for you.
Hope this helps.
Thanks for posting this ! I am looking to do the same!