Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Putting plastic/vinyl UNDER your HOV stickers.....?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was trying to figure out a way NOT to destroy or damage the beautiful paint on my M3 and wondered what would happen if I took a thick ziploc baggie, cut the plastic SLIGHTLY smaller than each HOV sticker, and then applied it.... This might only leave an outline if I decide to remove the stickers at some later date.
Thoughts?
Tried searching this forum and didn't see anything like this posted yet, though it could also be that the search feature isn't finding it.
Anyone else put anything under their HOV stickers? I definitely don't want to make it easier for them to be stolen, but I also want to minimize future damage.
Thanks in advance for any help!

I was trying to figure out a way NOT to destroy or damage the beautiful paint on my M3 and wondered what would happen if I took a thick ziploc baggie, cut the plastic SLIGHTLY smaller than each HOV sticker, and then applied it.... This might only leave an outline if I decide to remove the stickers at some later date.
Thoughts?
Tried searching this forum and didn't see anything like this posted yet, though it could also be that the search feature isn't finding it.
Anyone else put anything under their HOV stickers? I definitely don't want to make it easier for them to be stolen, but I also want to minimize future damage.
Thanks in advance for any help!
I would not bother with the state's archaic rules there for HOV usage. Not worth the hassle to ruin a paint job for a few minutes savings.
In Canada, each province has a green coloured plate for EV cars. Don't know why California can't do that. They will some day though!
BC I just remembered doesn't yet but they will.

I went with the paint protection film (PPF) route. Apply the HOV sticker to the film, use X-Acto knife to cut the PPF, peel off the backing material and put on the car. PPF is not supposed to damage the paint but what may happen is that when the sticker expires and you pull it off the car, the surrounding paint would have faded.

I would not bother with the state's archaic rules there for HOV usage. Not worth the hassle to ruin a paint job for a few minutes savings.
In Canada, each province has a green coloured plate for EV cars. Don't know why California can't do that. They will some day though!
It depends on where you live and how many minutes you save. I see it as hassle saved from not having to deal with that one police offer who wants to give you a hard time (since commutes in my area can be very beneficial from HOV benefits). But I do agree with you on the EV Plates, the stickers is pretty silly.

For some of that would mean spending up to hundreds of extra hours stuck in traffic....

Can you not apply to glass?

California DMV is very specific about where the stickers have to be applied, and they are supposed to be applied permanently. I had them on my previous EV, and I could tell they weren't coming off easily. If you can believe it, there are four stickers, one each for the front and rear bumper, and one each on the side of the car in front of the front wheel and behind the rear wheel.

Get a roll of 3M film (6" x 25") is enough for 2 cars at amazon for $12. I had the white stickers on the 3M film on our MX. Last month I had to take them off to put the red stickers on. Peeled them off easily and paint looks great under after a year. Put the red stickers on the leftover 3M film, trim to size, stick, and now they will be there for another 3 years.

Get a roll of 3M film (6" x 25") is enough for 2 cars at amazon for $12. I had the white stickers on the 3M film on our MX. Last month I had to take them off to put the red stickers on. Peeled them off easily and paint looks great under after a year. Put the red stickers on the leftover 3M film, trim to size, stick, and now they will be there for another 3 years.

Got my 3m sheet ready for when the purple ones come.

Any issues with flexibility and ability to mold to different contours of the body with the 2 layers?

H
I put mine on a piece of magnetic sheeting. The section around where the rear plate is located is ferromagnetic and so it sticks super well. I then just pull it off and store in the glove box when I am not using transit lanes.
Are you only using one of the 4 stickers? I had a friend ticketed for only having one on the rear. Read of another pulled over for having it taped to the inside rear quarter glass. Sometimes it’s better just following the rules vs wasting time getting pulled over.