Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Putting some numbers on the factors that affect range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has any 85 kw Model S owners Max Charged their cars and got 300 mile range? So far I have Max Range Charged the car twice and only received 271 Rated.

Somebody did - Zext, I believe. But he had his set to show Ideal miles, which I don't think all firmware versions allow. If you are set to use Rated miles, you should expect around 265 miles, so I assume that's what you are using.

Ideal miles: what Tesla says the car can do in "ideal" conditions: 55mph, 70 degrees, HVAC off, flat, dry and windless. The car should do over 300 miles under these conditions.
Rated miles: what the EPA says the car can do in "typical" conditions: 60mph, 65 degrees, HVAC on, but still flat, dry and windless. The car should do 265 miles under these conditions.
Projected miles: what you will get if you keep driving the same way you have averaged for the last X miles. This number can vary widely depending on speed, hills, etc. But on a flat highway with cruise set, it can be a pretty good guide.

What I'd like to see added as a display option:

Solid miles: 2/3 of the EPA number; so 177 miles. A range you can count on (as long as you are TRYING to get there, and don't spend the whole trip locked against the speed limiter).

Or even better:

Percentage of battery left. Except in extreme conditions you will get at least 2 miles per percentage. In perfect conditions you might get 3 miles per percentage.

yep. I had mine set to ideal for the first few weeks and saw 307-310 miles ideal for the 2 or 3 range charges I did then. Switched to rated currently I have seen 280 mi

I wish I knew about the 70A in Yreka. I might have sprung for the 2nd charger just for that + Oregon and Washington and maybe Canada eh. I didn't know there were so many higher A sources up there when I had to order my car ..me sad

If I understand you, that sounds about right, aviators. At 70 degrees and 60mph Tesla says HVAC is included in rated range. By 100 degrees AC should cost around 7%, but at 80 degrees I would think it would only be a percent or so (it's non-linear).

Excellent post! Did you charge at each of those intervals? How long did you stay at each location? And free charging--that's pretty awesome. Which site do you use to seek out the free chargers?

Thanks, again, neighbor!

David

- - - Updated - - -

The Chargepoint and Blink Network apps for iphone tell you if your charge has stopped, if you have been disconnected, etc. They can even be set up to text you. Sounds great, but there have been a couple of times that it told me the car was not charging when it was, so the technology isn't perfect.

Chad, not sure a second charger would have helped me since 70A J-1772 units seem to be very rare in the wild and the standard L2 units and RV Park 14-50R outlets max out at 10KW or less anyway. If I had the elusive Roadster adapter it would be a different story as there are several Roadster HPC's along this route.

Your point is VERY well taken regarding CHAdeMO. It's painful to park next to an unused station that has the power but not the interface to top me off in an hour or two. With Superchargers imminent I don't expect to see a CHAdeMO adapter for Model S anytime soon. Call me a pessimist.

One more point. I've seen it mentioned here before but I'll say it again. NEVER EVER EVER trust a public J-1772 L2 unit to do an overnight charge without checking it frequently!!! I'll be spending an extra 6 hrs here at the Motel 6 because my charge aborted at 2:37AM this morning after 4.5 hours without a problem (and less than an hour after I last checked it before turning in). I don't know if it was the car or the EVSE that caused the charge to stop, I restarted it without issue, but Tesla needs to supply some sort of notification mechanism (email/text/in app notification) for interrupted charges! This should be BASIC functionality as it has a HUGE impact on cross country travel. Oh well, I guess the Siskiyou summit will just have to wait a few more hours for me to tackle it. My apologies for the off-topic rant.

Did you charge at each of those intervals? How long did you stay at each location? And free charging--that's pretty awesome. Which site do you use to seek out the free chargers?

I did charge at each stop; I hope to find time to put up another post about charging this week (and I'll link to it from this thread).

When I go to new places, I typically look at recargo.com and plugshare.com to find charging stations. But when I drive from Seattle to California, I use THIS map that I created.

If I understand you, that sounds about right, aviators. At 70 degrees and 60mph Tesla says HVAC is included in rated range. By 100 degrees AC should cost around 7%, but at 80 degrees I would think it would only be a percent or so (it's non-linear).

Hi Chad,

Absolutely great posting!

Regarding your Range vs Speed and HVAC graph, I want to be clear that I'm interpreting it correctly.

The green line at the top is the Range vs Speed with no HVAC?

The green shaded portion of the graph shows the effect of HVAC and the bottom of the shaded area is the Range vs Speed with the HVAC on maximum?

Thanks.

Larry

Effects of Elevation Change

Just a bit of trivia.

A couple of days ago in an effort to escape the heat, we decided on lunch at the Paradise Inn, Mt. Rainier National Park. (It was hot there, as well)

From Puyallup WA it is 65 miles with an elevation gain of a bit over 5,400 ft. No freeway driving, max speed 55 MPH, and, of course, much slower in the park. Climate control set at 68°F, OAT 75° to 85°.

Arrival at the Inn showed 67.4 actual miles and 99 rated miles used. On the return to Puyallup, actual miles were 66.6 and used 40 rated miles. So, for the up and down, 134 actual miles used 139 rated miles. Not bad, but I hasten to add that most of the climbing miles were at 35 MPH or less.

Range calculators

Tesla’s range calculator is attractive and easy to use. It seems to be pretty accurate. It says that if you go 65mph on level dry ground with HVAC on at 32 degrees, you will get 218 miles. That’s using 118% of rated miles to go 5mph faster and use more HVAC. But what if you go even faster than 65? What if it’s colder than 32 degrees? What if there is rain or snow on the ground? What about elevation changes? I asked Tesla to add these items to their calculator long ago, but no word on when or if they will.

HERE is another calculator that takes elevation in to account, and allows a wider range of speeds to be entered. But it doesn’t account for weather or road conditions at all.

Somewhere on these forums I saw mention of yet another calculator that sounds interesting, but it is Mac-only and I don’t have a Mac so I have not been able to try it. (EFusco found it for me: it's HERE).

Update Mar 2013: a Model S owner (Cliff Hannel on these forums) has been building his own version HERE. Forum thread HERE. It is not finished yet, but it appears to consider all of the relevant factors (speed, temperature, elevation, etc) except road conditions. This would be a great web page to have saved in your car's web browser.

On android there is also EV Range Calculator : EV Range Calculator - Android Apps on Google Play

It takes elevation and speed limits into account and allows to set a lower speed if you want to preserve your battery.

Great information, geek to geek!

My experience on elevation is that its about 6-7 miles up and down in a Model S with me and a few bags. This has held true for me on many trips in the Colorado Rockies. Because of regen conversion losses, long, steep descents will not give everything back. The only time I don't get all of it back in my regular travels is on the west side of Wolf Creek Pass because there is a lot of regen there, typically 10 miles from the top of the pass into Pagosa. On other descents that are not so steep and there is less regen, I get everything back.

A year or so ago, I did a from basics, potential energy calculation that also came up with 6 miles per 1,000 feet. I think I posted that on TMC then. Here is a repeat:
  1. Potential Energy = m * g * h
  2. m = 2,100 kg, g = 9.81 m/s^2, h = 305 meters (1,000 feet)
  3. 1,000 feet up or down gives you 2,100 kg * 9.81 m/s^2 * 305 meters = 6,283,305 Joules
  4. Because 3,600 Joules are in 1 W-hr, that is 1,745 W-hrs
  5. Pick your number for Wh/mi, let's use 290 Wh/mi which is pretty close to how rated miles are decremented. 1,745 Wh/290 Wh/mi = 6.02 miles.

Thanks again for putting all of this together.

Thanks for the numbers, Cotton. I hadn't done the math.

Before I ever had an EV, I saw a 1st-gen RAV4-EV owner online say to figure 6 miles per 1,000 feet for that car (and interestingly enough, I think he did the same math...I should try to find that). 6 or 7 were typically used for the Roadster. Those numbers seemed to work well for me with both of those cars. The Model S is significantly heavier, and somebody on these forums (I don't remember who) said that a Tesla employee said to use 10. So I have just used 10, and it's worked great for me and at least a couple of other owners. But I will try to take a closer look the next time I do a trip with elevation...the hard part is pulling out all the other factors (including how loaded the car is).

Due to motor and inverter inefficiencies, I would expect consumption to be higher than 6 miles/1k'. But only by about 20%.

Last edited: