Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Putting some numbers on the factors that affect range

Babaron

Jan 24, 2017
SW Ohio and west central FL
Does anyone know of a reference here or elsewhere that lists the consumption in kW for each of the various accessories in our cars, such as heated seats, heated steering wheel,a/c, heat, front defrost blue vs front defrost red, rear defrost, etc.?

scottf200

Feb 3, 2013
Chicagoland ModelX S603
Does anyone know of a reference here or elsewhere that lists the consumption in kW for each of the various accessories in our cars, such as heated seats, heated steering wheel,a/c, heat, front defrost blue vs front defrost red, rear defrost, etc.?
YT Desc: the approximate power consumption numbers for each.

Baseline (Vehicle at Rest but Powered up): 247Wh
Defroster (Rear Window & Side Mirrors CWP): 285Wh
Steering Wheel Heater: 95Wh
Heated Wipers & Nozzles: 95Wh
1 Seat Heater: 57Wh
2 Seat Heaters: 133Wh
3 Seat Heaters: 171Wh
4 Seat Heaters: 209Wh
5 Seat Heaters: 247Wh

tommywatson

Oct 13, 2020
Texas
Thanks for this thread, as a new owner with only a couple of thousand miles experience I thought I may have problems as I was only getting about 300 miles range on a 2020 S LRP. I found out quickly that the A/C kills the range in Texas and was within 40 miles of running out, basically 320 miles indicated to travel 200 actual, I found the A/C range button which helped a lot ;-) The numbers in the first post make me feel a little better about my numbers/battery even if they don't live up to the indicated EPA...
Thanks again for sharing.

Attachments

• Selection_467.png
    Selection_467.png
    54.9 KB · Views: 28

Babaron

Jan 24, 2017
SW Ohio and west central FL
A small point, but to keep things logical in my small brain, shouldn’t consumption of the various accessories be quoted with units of watts? That is to say watts of power needed to run them; verses watt hours which would be energy Capacity used To run them over a specific period of time?

Matt1906

Dec 26, 2020
Fairfield, Ca
Hello I just purchased a 2014 S 60 and was told the range was 250 by the dealer which was not Tesla after I sign the contact. That on me for not doing my homework on the different types of battery. I would love to upgrade but have been told no by Tesla. Is this car capable of going from the Bay Area to LA and if so how many time will I have stop to charge?

Attachments

• EEFAFC97-429B-42C3-83BD-FC54C1A215DF.jpeg
    EEFAFC97-429B-42C3-83BD-FC54C1A215DF.jpeg
    746.6 KB · Views: 19

scottf200

Feb 3, 2013
Chicagoland ModelX S603
Hello I just purchased a 2014 S 60 and was told the range was 250 by the dealer which was not Tesla after I sign the contact. That on me for not doing my homework on the different types of battery. I would love to upgrade but have been told no by Tesla. Is this car capable of going from the Bay Area to LA and if so how many time will I have stop to charge?

You can use A Better Route Planner and pick your 60 in the list to try different routes.
A Better Routeplanner

FlatSix911

Porsche 918 Hybrid
Jun 15, 2015
Silicon Valley

The range for the original Model S 60 was 208 miles EPA according to Tesla Model S - Wikipedia

upload_2021-1-13_17-37-56.png

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H

FatherTo1

Mar 7, 2019
California

According to many reports, the 60 kWh battery is a software-locked 75 and many owners were able to pay to “unlock” additional range. Are you saying Tesla refused you this option or that the option is no longer available?

Apparently, another member was able to confirm the 60/75 kWh unlock is still available as of last month:
RANGE UPGRADE CHANGE? Option to Upgrade 60D to 75D Gone from Tesla.com "Manage" Page

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H

Rocky_H

Feb 19, 2015
Boise, ID
Hello I just purchased a 2014 S 60
According to many reports, the 60 kWh battery is a software-locked 75 and many owners were able to pay to “unlock” additional range. Are you saying Tesla refused you this option or that the option is no longer available?
This is a 2014 model year car. In 2014, they only had two battery sizes: 85 and 60, and they were REALLY 85 and 60. The 75 battery size was not created for another couple of years, and they weren't doing software locked batteries yet.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC