TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Putting Xzilon protectant on my Tesla

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by dcopperfield, Dec 21, 2012.

1. dcopperfield

dcopperfield Member

Hey guys – I have a buddy who works at a dealership who is willing to put Xzilon on my car. They say it does an incredible job protecting the paint and creates a Teflon- like coating on the car –

thoughts? Does it sound like something I should do???

Xzilon Molecular Adhesion

2. shokunin

shokunin P85 & S40

I had it done on my previous Lexus. Wasn't worth it. Only had them do it since we just had a newborn and knew I wasn't going to have a ton of time to maintain the paint. It looks great for a few months, just a like a nice wax job, but then washes away. It came with a lifetime warranty to the car, so I had them reapply it, but I had to drop the car off for a whole day for them to do it, had it done nearly quarterly for the first 2 years. Dealer was probably pissed since they have to do a complete detail to apply the coating.

After that, it was easier to just keep touching up with Zaino than having to deal with the Xzilon stuff. Since then, I've found other sealants that are better and just as easy to apply.

If you want a true protectant on your paint, find an authorized Optimum Opti-Coat dealer and have them apply Opti-Coat (aka Opti-Guard aka Opti Coat Pro) on your car.

3. dcopperfield

dcopperfield Member

ok... thanks. They are only charging me $200 and it comes with the full detail (again, its discounted because the guy who owns the dealership is my buddy.)

I've heard great things about zaino--- i will likely just buy that and use it on the car after the 6 months are up.

4. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

Zaino is the only thing touching my Model S:love:

5. Ceilidh

Ceilidh Member

#5 Ceilidh, Dec 21, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
    If you don't live in CA you can get an old-school version of all this stuff called liquid glass. If you live in CA it is not illegal to send it to a family member or friend out of state and then have them mail it to you afterwards, but it is illegal for a merchant to sell or ship it directly to you (CARB volatile solvent issues).

It has been around a long time, has a great cult following, etc, etc. Worth a look since you can apply it yourself and layer it until you have the level of gloss and protection you need. You can also wax over it if you wish to get a deeper shine. It goes on easily, kind of like Klasse All in One, but you have to wait longer between coats.

I have no affiliation with Liquid Glass.

Cheers.