Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PV Panel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nothing will happen. The 12V plug is switched off, it's only on when the car is on and at that point the big battery is feeding the 12V with 13.6 V so you're not going to be adding any further charge to the 12V with your panel.

The big battery of course has no way of getting charged via the cigarette adapter.

No way

Thanks.
So no way to feed Tesla with DC current ?
I make this question as I leave the car unplugged up to 6 days at the airport a good way to avoid range loss ( up to 4 km/day ) could be use a flexible sunshade ( marine ) to prevent eating and, at the same time, feed some amper.

Thanks

Nothing will happen. The 12V plug is switched off, it's only on when the car is on and at that point the big battery is feeding the 12V with 13.6 V so you're not going to be adding any further charge to the 12V with your panel.

The big battery of course has no way of getting charged via the cigarette adapter.

The car can be fed with DC current from a SuperCharger or from a ChaDeMo charger (using an adapter) or with AC using the Mennekes type 2 AC plug (in the EU with anything between ~5A and up at 220-240V on one phase or up to 32A/240V on three phases (using another EVSE than Tesla's).

There is no way to charge the car through the cigarette lighter 12 V outlet. The 12V system cannot supply power to the high voltage battery, but the opposite is possible and is how the 12V system charge is maintained.

Very rough, off the cuff numbers: let's say you have a huge 100W portable solar panel, let's assume it's magical and has 100% efficiency, let's also assume that you live in a land which gets sun for 12 hours a day every day, in an average day you're going to make 1.2kWh. Let's also assume that roughly 75kwH is usable in an 85kwH battery, so you can charge ~4 miles in a day.

When you factor in realistic numbers and inefficiencies, you're probably looking at 1mile a day, totally not worth the hassle for a portable solar panel (if it was even doable).

Thanks.
So no way to feed Tesla with DC current ?
I make this question as I leave the car unplugged up to 6 days at the airport a good way to avoid range loss ( up to 4 km/day ) could be use a flexible sunshade ( marine ) to prevent eating and, at the same time, feed some amper.

Thanks

It may work as a trickle charger for the 12V battery to keep that sustained from vampire loses. Not sure if that will help with range loss or not.

HI,
just got my Tesla P70D.
I wonder if and what happens if I connect via cigarette lighter a PV Panel ( 12 or 24 volts ).
Does Tesla accept the (few) amper ?

Marco
Bergamo, Italy
If you really want to do this, the only thing it will do is keep the 12V accessory battery charged and reduce the vampire load on the traction battery. Normally, the car will wake up and charge the 12V from the traction battery a couple times per day when the 12V gets low. As others have said, the lighter socket is disconnected when the car is off, so you have to remedy that. Instructions are in this thread for removing the relay and putting a jumper wire in its place so it is live all the time.