Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PV Solar - what the view in the UK in 2021?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

pdk42

Jul 17, 2019
Leamington
I've been pondering whether a PV installation is sensible or not. We've got a large roof area that is SE facing so it should work well. I think that the feed-in tariffs are all gone now aren't they? Are there any other incentives? Can it be justified at all on economic grounds in 2021?

I've been pondering whether a PV installation is sensible or not. We've got a large roof area that is SE facing so it should work well. I think that the feed-in tariffs are all gone now aren't they? Are there any other incentives? Can it be justified at all on economic grounds in 2021?
Depending on the electric tariff your on, I'd be surprised if you made your money back in 10 years. (I might be wrong tho)
Expect next to no electric in the winter months in the UK.
I have a perfectly south facing array at the farm here 30KWs, just looked it did 554Kwh in Jan so that's about 17kwh/day average.
Think I did post my figures on here somewhere, if your serious about it, I could probably post a years worth of figures for my 30kw array.
You can just divide it down to the size your thinking off.

Depends on how large.. there are people that live on farms etc. that have enough solar they're basically in profit in 5 years or less. My little 2.5kw system will be lucky to break even before the panels fail..

Batteries don't look to pay for themselves at all at current prices but they do let you use the panels more efficiently - so if you can look at it as a single capital expense for lower bills later and not worry about it balancing the two numbers and it'll work.

Take a look at PVOutput and Photovoltaic Geographical Information System (PVGIS) - EU Science Hub - European Commission for an idea of generation numbers. Or rough figures, slightly optimistic figures, 800-1000kWh per year per kWp installed and 50% of that of self consumption, ie how much your electricity bill may reduce by. If you have gas water heating, you can also get a power diverter (diverts excess generation to an immersion heater) to get your summer months (say April - Sep) water heating costs close to 0.

tl;dr - without FiT, probably won't work financially unless you have a large array and can make good utilisation of the generated power.

If you are settled in your home and staying put, I’d put some in. I buy 1Kw per week from the grid in spring and summer and about 1800kw over the rest of the year.
I generated 8500kwh and used about 7500kwh last year. For us the satisfaction is way greater than the reward.

Here are our solar genration stats for a 16 panel 3.6kW array on the south coast.

solar.png

Batteries typically make no financial sense. If you look at the expected lifespan of a battery in kWh then multiply that by the potential saving per kWh, ie the maximum potential saving achievable over the lifespan of the battery, then it will give an idea how far adrift the numbers are.

We've had 5kW PV, a 3.7kWh inverter + 6.7kW battery storage for quite a few years and receive reasonable FIT payments. For us, the factors determining whether a Solar installation was going to be worthwhile included:
  • Electricity prices will continue to rise so even if the payback doesn't initially look good, it will improve over time (has done significantly already)
  • Aspect, ideally South facing (we are SSW)
  • Remaining in the same house for a long time (in our case, for the rest of our lives) edit: I hope I don't mean lockdowns
  • Can you afford to spend the money even if the return may not make sense initially? (Undoubtedly our batteries will need replacing within the life of the installation & panels do gradually lose a few %. However our FIT payments will always rise by a fixed % or RPI over 25 years total). I effectively 'wrote off' the initial installed cost of the system as it was something I wanted to do but in 6 years we've already recouped 30% directly and probably more indirectly (including in a small way 'window cleaning' as I use one of those extendable fibreglass brush/water things that reaches up to and over the roof - surprising how much generation can be lost through bird muck & general grime build up on the panels if ignored).
  • We always intended to get an EV and use any surplus generated. Until last year we were exporting far too much even though the FIT scheme pays out regardless of use or not & even after purchasing the Model 3 in April, we still exported a fair amount throughout the summer months.
  • It's nice to be self-sufficient whenever possible and of course good for the environment (+ the batteries have seen us through a couple of local power cuts)
  • With Solar I've made sure all appliances wherever possible are electric so they can either be used during the day (lawnmower, hedge trimmer, chainsaw, DIY saw bench, pillar drill etc) or on timers (EV, washing machine, tumble dryer, dishwasher, water heaters & storage, rechargeable vacuum cleaner, rechargeable power tools etc). We also switched out the gas hob/oven to Electric several years ago.
It's true that winter months generate very little solar, however on many winter days there is still sufficient to power the house throughout daylight hours, including gas central heating pumps (2 systems), kettle, lights, occasional TV etc (but rarely oven/hob). Frequently the batteries have sufficient to carry through to mid evening even in December-January and by now, February there are a few days where the batteries fill completely (two in the past week) or last through until bed time.

From March - October the PV system basically powers everything, and if battery storage runs out it's usually in the early hours. I used to be on Octopus Agile, since February on Go Faster 02.30-06.30 & may reman on that because in summer those hours are basically the only period where we would sometimes draw from the grid anyway.

We have a lot of devices powered via smart sockets and some are ready for charging whenever or as soon as the house batteries are filled. Nothing particularly 'smart' about the process itself - I receive a smart phone alert & remotely switch whatever I want from there if I happen to be out (...vaguely remember times like that).

Without FIT, payback will of course be lengthier even though Electricity suppliers do have export tariffs. FIT pays out regardless and does not directly differentiate between generation and export ('assumes' 50% export), the replacement scheme only pays against measured output itself.

• Informative
Reactions: twlr
Take a look at PVOutput and Photovoltaic Geographical Information System (PVGIS) - EU Science Hub - European Commission for an idea of generation numbers. Or rough figures, slightly optimistic figures, 800-1000kWh per year per kWp installed and 50% of that of self consumption, ie how much your electricity bill may reduce by. If you have gas water heating, you can also get a power diverter (diverts excess generation to an immersion heater) to get your summer months (say April - Sep) water heating costs close to 0.

tl;dr - without FiT, probably won't work financially unless you have a large array and can make good utilisation of the generated power.
I agree with your generation stats (though will depend on how far north/south you are). I get about 3000kWh from a 3.6kW system (west facing) in Edinburgh.

I find I use a lot less than 50% of what I generate through. Closer to 25-30%

generation tariff is 5.5p per kWh so it’s marginally more expensive to plug the car in to charge on sunny afternoons vs charging overnight on Octopus Go! Classic perverse behaviour driven by pricing example

With our 4kW array and 3.6kW inverter, we also have a solar diverter to send all surplus electricity to our immersion heater rather than the grid (we are all electric). Having storage batteries would make no sense as we have no surplus energy, and none goes back to the grid. During summer when it's hot, the air-con is working hard to keep us cool (for free).

I'd like to get solar, battery, as I love the technology.

But no amount of number crunching can make the sums work. I am looking at a 20yr+ payback. Cannot be justified. But that's just me.

Is that because its a farm with lots of other stuff going on?
The house has it's own meter, I do have a couple of servers running 24/7.
Computers are on all day, have 3 kids.
Mrs uses tumble drier etc.
I have tried (hard) to minimise our use, it's interesting how much others use to compare.
House is cold and drafty (and fairly big) so the heating circulation pumps run a fair bit this time of year.
Whether that cover it all I'm not sure....

I'd like to get solar, battery, as I love the technology.

But no amount of number crunching can make the sums work. I am looking at a 20yr+ payback. Cannot be justified. But that's just me.
It can’t be financially justified but it’s real useful. Our Powerwalls have recorded 39 power cuts over 3 years and we never see them except on one occasion when everything stuttered momentarily. It was particularly useful during one of the storms which took out power for about 4 hours. It kept the oil boiler running and the Sunday roast cooking. No regrets at all.
Our daily usage averages just over 26Kwh/day including car charges. That about 9.5Mwh/year

The house has it's own meter, I do have a couple of servers running 24/7.
Computers are on all day, have 3 kids.
Mrs uses tumble drier etc.
I have tried (hard) to minimise our use, it's interesting how much others use to compare.
House is cold and drafty (and fairly big) so the heating circulation pumps run a fair bit this time of year.
Whether that cover it all I'm not sure....

Similar here, in a large-ish Victorian house, solid walls etc. I average between about 21-23kW a day over a year. Lots of working from home, computers, two teenagers. One of the worst offenders in our house is some underfloor heating we had put in the kitchen when it was refurbished. It’s a 3kW mat and the only heat source for that room.

I can’t wait for my solar+ battery to be installed. I think it will have quite an impact based on our usage profile.