Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PV Troubles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I realized my PVs were not generating a week back. Did the usual troubleshooting including a full system shutdown for 15+ mins per Tesla instructions. Called support and they said they need to send someone onsite to investigate. .. the earliest service appoint is Nov 1st. yes! 2 months out! So I'm w/o solar generation until that happens. Figure I would reach out here to see if there are some basic troubleshooting or self service activities I can attempt myself in the meantime.

What I've tried:

1) Full reset above. Tried various breakers along the way.
2) Hit the TEG reset button many times
3) Logged into the Installer menu and tried to set all CTs to site or none. Saved. Logged out and back in. Reassign my CTs to 'Solar'. Saved. etc. All the diagnostic test comes back PASSED: Device communication CAN bus PASSED to both listed switches. talks to both meters fine. Networking good
4) Noticed the firmware upgrade option which I did as well, but not sure if it actually upgraded.
5) App shows normal power flow from grid to home. I've played with the battery settings and will flow from PW to home as well when I select self power mode.

When logged into the installed I noticed a number of things that I'm not sure of since I never saw a "before" picture of it running normally so wanted to double check with the community.

I have 2 meters:

Meter 1: Internal Aux Meter X (Gateway) - this has only 2 CTs. Normally set to 'Site' ?
Meter 2: Internal Aug Meter Y (Gateway). - this has 3. CT1 & CT2: set as 'Solar (1CT x2). CT3: none

Aside from physical or component damage. What else can I try? Can't believe service wait is 2 months. geez. Thanks everyone in advance for any help!

My system is in my signature.

Firmware: 21.20.7

Any chance you were messing around in there and the reason your system is not producing is because you did or changed something? I ask because your post says "I was logging in as installer and...", and the last thread you started was about not being able to charge from the grid with some conversation about how one might trick the system into doing that.

Reactions: Zinc_Saucier
Like @taphil said, if your PV isn’t generating, then the first thing to look at is the inverter. Unless you made changes in the TEG that you think might be affecting things there’s no way that changing the TEG configuration would affect solar production.

What brand and model of inverter do you have? And how many inverters do you have?

yes I started there first. The inverter has the solid green light and the instruction says that means it's producing. I'm not sure where else I could look to see if it's working beyond the few indicator lights it has.

SolarEdge single inverter. My system: 12.24kW Tesla Solar | 36 x 340W Q.Peak DUO BLK-G6+ Panels | SE11400-H-US Inverter | Gateway 2 | 2 x PWs

If the inverter is producing power, then it does seem like things just aren’t displaying correctly. If you look at your power meter while it’s bright and sunny out does it show that you’re sending power back to the grid? That would certainly indicate that your PV is working as expected.

If the inverter is producing power, then it does seem like things just aren’t displaying correctly. If you look at your power meter while it’s bright and sunny out does it show that you’re sending power back to the grid? That would certainly indicate that your PV is working as expected.

No it does not. Nothing goes back to the grid. Power flows only from Grid to home or PW to home if I change the power profile. Is there another way to look into the SE inverter to see status? The single green led is not very descriptive. I grabbed the Solar Edge Set App and was able to scan the QR code allowing it to readonly, but wasn't anything these that was an obvious indicator of errors. However I'm not sure where to look as well.

I realized my PVs were not generating a week back. Did the usual troubleshooting including a full system shutdown for 15+ mins per Tesla instructions. Called support and they said they need to send someone onsite to investigate. .. the earliest service appoint is Nov 1st. yes! 2 months out! So I'm w/o solar generation until that happens. Figure I would reach out here to see if there are some basic troubleshooting or self service activities I can attempt myself in the meantime.

What I've tried:

1) Full reset above. Tried various breakers along the way.
2) Hit the TEG reset button many times
3) Logged into the Installer menu and tried to set all CTs to site or none. Saved. Logged out and back in. Reassign my CTs to 'Solar'. Saved. etc. All the diagnostic test comes back PASSED: Device communication CAN bus PASSED to both listed switches. talks to both meters fine. Networking good
4) Noticed the firmware upgrade option which I did as well, but not sure if it actually upgraded.
5) App shows normal power flow from grid to home. I've played with the battery settings and will flow from PW to home as well when I select self power mode.

When logged into the installed I noticed a number of things that I'm not sure of since I never saw a "before" picture of it running normally so wanted to double check with the community.

I have 2 meters:

Meter 1: Internal Aux Meter X (Gateway) - this has only 2 CTs. Normally set to 'Site' ?
Meter 2: Internal Aug Meter Y (Gateway). - this has 3. CT1 & CT2: set as 'Solar (1CT x2). CT3: none

Aside from physical or component damage. What else can I try? Can't believe service wait is 2 months. geez. Thanks everyone in advance for any help!

My system is in my signature.

Firmware: 21.20.7
Man, if you are messing around in the installer account, as it seems you are doing, you have more guts than I do.

If you push the switch to P for a second and then look at the lights it will give you a bit more detail about how much power it is producing as shown below:

847FC3E9-AB26-4409-B296-75BE3EA460E5.jpeg

So if you do that in the middle of a cloudless day then you should expect to see a blue or blue and green light turn on.

• Informative
Reactions: Electrph
I'm not sure if you meant swing to the left and hold or left and let go, but when I swing and release that all three RED BLUE GREEN lights come on.

What is strange is the solid green without me touching the switch suggesting it's working from my previous reading. I went ahead and connected the SE Set App and see the following screens. Notice the production shows zero today and this month which is consistent when it stopped working. Not sure if there's anything in here that I can dig into.

And yes it's 2 months wait. I explained that was unreasonable to ask any customer to do and I asked the agent how she would feel being me. All the empathy she tried aside, there was no resolution but to put me on a "standby list", but I wouldn't know where I am in line at any time. Hence the self-help DIY attempt now in the meantime.

Screens from solar edge.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipPRoq8lKMpEerMSmnGRTkfNnhCISjSQjR67XnEQ
IMG_7515.PNG
IMG_7516.PNG
IMG_7517.PNG

Search other threads in this forum, seems like you can call SolarEdge directly and get a warranty replacement shipped directly to you if the inverter is bad, which seems to be a problem that pops up often here.

Wouldn't Solaredge still need to send the replacement unit to Tesla? I can't imagine a component manufacturer sending a RMA product without a core exchange back to the end customer when there's an authorized reseller in the middle.

Wouldn't Solaredge still need to send the replacement unit to Tesla? I can't imagine a component manufacturer sending a RMA product without a core exchange back to the end customer when there's an authorized reseller in the middle.
They, SE, sent directly to me. But, had to have the installer install. When I see all these gripes about tesla and not being at their door in an hour, again, you get what you pay for!!!

I'm not sure if you meant swing to the left and hold or left and let go, but when I swing and release that all three RED BLUE GREEN lights come on.

Slide the switch to the left and then immediately release it. All three lights should come on for a second, while the switch is on the left, but then once you release the switch it should show one of the light patterns shown above, then go back to solid green.

This is all still under warranty and I'm not qualified to install any replacement component myself. I'm looking for any DIY type activities I can try to perform while I wait for a service call in 2 months. For example, additional resets, configuration test etc etc .

This is all still under warranty and I'm not qualified to install any replacement component myself. I'm looking for any DIY type activities I can try to perform while I wait for a service call in 2 months. For example, additional resets, configuration test etc etc .

I don't think people are expecting you to self-install or self-provision a new Solaredge inverter. I think people are more confused how you don't seem more upset at a 60 day hold time to even have Tesla begin a service ticket. To me, 60 Days to wait seems in violation of the warranty and seems to be an unreasonable delay.

I mean you're dealing with a large corporation, not some individual selling some doodad on eBay who may be impacted by COVID or went out on holiday. And it's not 60 days caused by a chip shortage. They're literally not coming to your house for 60 days. Even if they determine you need a replacement in 60 days, you could end up waiting another 60 days to get the new gear installed.

I don't think people are expecting you to self-install or self-provision a new Solaredge inverter. I think people are more confused how you don't seem more upset at a 60 day hold time to even have Tesla begin a service ticket. To me, 60 Days to wait seems in violation of the warranty and seems to be an unreasonable delay.

I mean you're dealing with a large corporation, not some individual selling some doodad on eBay who may be impacted by COVID or went out on holiday. And it's not 60 days caused by a chip shortage. They're literally not coming to your house for 60 days. Even if they determine you need a replacement in 60 days, you could end up waiting another 60 days to get the new gear installed.

Be more upset? Well. I made the service desk lady cry when she told me 2 months away. .. I'm kidding. I have called every single number I'm aware of including all the installation guys that worked with me during the install. Some have replied and shared their own frustration with serving customers, but to no avail. I've tweeted.. including Elon. Any other places one can try and reach out? I'm very upset at 2 months, but that's not productive.. rather looking for solutions instead of just sit back and wait it out. ..hence the efforts here.

I've searched for previous postings for other like me to see if there are things other folks have tried which lead me down the attempts I listed in the OP.

Be more upset? Well. I made the service desk lady cry when she told me 2 months away. .. I'm kidding. I have called every single number I'm aware of including all the installation guys that worked with me during the install. Some have replied and shared their own frustration with serving customers, but to no avail. I've tweeted.. including Elon. Any other places one can try and reach out? I'm very upset at 2 months, but that's not productive.. rather looking for solutions instead of just sit back and wait it out. ..hence the efforts here.

I've searched for previous postings for other like me to see if there are things other folks have tried which lead me down the attempts I listed in the OP.

You are one cool cucumber then... hope Tesla and Solar Edge can help you out sooner. It seems there's something wacky with that inverter.