Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PW owners, summer is coming/here. What is your reserve percentage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
30%
It would be interesting to make this a poll.
Ideally I'd like to program it as a function of time of day (night: hours until expected sunlight), forecast cloud cover, season, etc. But when I only have one number to manage, most of the time it's at 30%.

Reactions: GJones
My setting is currently 40% because I don't have A/C and can't really use more than that in a day from 3pm-midnight unless I do something dumb like plug in a car. Maybe if I get a windfall I will finally install A/C. The refrigerant plumbing and electric circuit is already there.

20%, though this time of year it rarely drops that low unless I'm trickle-charging my car off it. (My car more often uses a NEMA 14-50 on a separate TOU EV meter.)

For the winter months in particular though, I wish there were a "smart" automated way to set the reserve to the lowest point where it could anticipate charging to ~90% the next day, based on weather conditions, day-of-week usage patterns, etc. In stormy winter conditions this might be 70% - 80%. In sunny summer conditions, 10-20%. This would give maximum reserve in the event of a power outage, while also maximizing cycling and minimizing grid usage.

Reactions: jgleigh
I always keep my backup reserve at 60% all year round. In summer I will actually adjust my peak period from 4-9 to 6-9 to get two more hours of solar to the house without using battery. This way I get more solar going to the house and grid all day, using as little battery and grid for the house.

When we used to have the "balanced" option I tried to use the grid as little as possible for both sending and receiving.

I usually just go with 40% and manage my use during peak (no AC, EV charging, etc...) at 4-9pm. On stretches of cloudy days, I raise it to 60-80%. I don't use the equivalent of Storm Watch (on Enphase).

I plan to overcool the house till 4pm and flip the AC off after. I net export so it's probably not going to be an issue either way.