Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PW owners, summer is coming/here. What is your reserve percentage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
timely question .. now that I can charge from the grid and i switched to time based controls from self powered my reserve seems less important .. lowest it hits is ~ 72% from running exclusively on batt 4-9 .. then at 8am powerwall charges up to 100%
You can charge from the grid in California ? My understanding is that the CPUC explicitly prohibits this except when Storm Watch is active for an event. I have seen some transient grid pulls once I activated the setting, but they have been very small and very brief - not at all anything that could be characterized as sustained charging.

You can charge from the grid in California ? My understanding is that the CPUC explicitly prohibits this except when Storm Watch is active for an event. I have seen some transient grid pulls once I activated the setting, but they have been very small and very brief - not at all anything that could be characterized as sustained charging.
Yes. I have it enabled on my system

With summer it is now time for us to balance PW reserves versus A/C cooling and charging. What are people setting their reserve to?

We are at 40% so for 2 PW, 11.2 kWh. Thinking about going a little lower.
I reserve mine at 80% because I own my PWs mainly for energy resiliency and there is no time-shifting cost savings to be had where I live in NJ.

So I self-power 20% mainly to exercise the battery (slightly - lithium chemistries do not like deep discharges) and continuously monitor the system for faults.

since summer started, i had been setting my reserve (time-based) to just get thru being self-powered 3PM-12AM or something like 45% based on my usage. before "export everything" existed, this is all i could do to maximize $$. in the winter i needed to set the reserve higher (about 60%) since there wasn't enough solar available to get me back to 100% if i let it go down to 45%.

the other day i started experimenting with "export everything" and setting the reserve to 25%.

im now +$2 or so over where i was just exporting solar, but i find that the PW will just start at 4PM and go gangbusters for a few hours until it hits the reserve, and then i'm importing again during some part of peak and shoulder times. it seems like i do a little better money wise if i just "export everything" starting at 4PM until the PW hits about 65% and then switch back to solar-only export mode.

in theory this shouldn't make a difference money-wise (vs just letting the PW discharge itself entirely during peak) but somehow it seems to. i need to experiment more.

I have 14k and 2 PW and have them set to 0% reserve. I want to minimize my grid pull and during the summer months with 2 AC units and 100f+ temps. I need all the backup I have and still do not make it through the night. If I see bad weather coming I now use charge from Grid so I can add some backup when necessary.