Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PW Time-Based-Control on EV2-A: Combine peak and part-peak?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a new Powerwall owner in Northern California. I have a 10.36 KW solar panel system from SunPower and two Tesla Powerwalls.

The EV2-A rate plan from PG&E has peak rates from 4pm-9pm and part-peak rates from 3pm-4pm & 9pm-12am. During the winter period (October - May) there is only 1.7 cents difference between the two rates (35.2 cents vs. 33.5 cents).

I am wondering if I should combine the two periods as one peak period from 3pm - 12am in the Tesla app to ensure my batteries discharge as much as possible during that time, instead of stopping to discharge at 9pm (which it did today even though batteries were still close to 60% charged). I keep the reserve at 20% and on a somewhat sunny day like today it charged to over 90% before 3pm.

Reactions: aubreymcfato
Sure you can. I would start by moving 3-4pm to peak, since your solar should still be producing during that time, and you can take advantage of the higher credit. Then if you are able to consistently get back to near 100% by 3pm the next day, you can add the time after 9pm. This will only draw from your batteries since you won't have any solar production, so no additional credits. Hopefully your usage goes down later in the evening so the draw isn't as much.

In my experience, using Time Based Control Balanced, if you have enough generation and enough battery relative to your consumption, the Powerwalls will continue to discharge through the 9-12pm Part-Peak period. Changing the 3-4pm period to Peak makes some sense if you have enough generation. If you leave it Part-Peak, the system will probably just export surplus solar instead of all solar.

Same plan as you. Smaller 5.8kw system but half north facing so I truly only get 2.6kw peak output during winter. I have mine set to time based with peak 3p-12a. It uses the powerwalls exactly in that window until midnight and uses grid after. Works really well. I generate only like 12-16kwh a day during winter.

I'm on the same EV-2A plan. I set my peak from 4pm to 9 pm and off peak from 12am to 3 pm. The grey area is the partial peak (9pm to 12am and 3pm to 4pm). My powerwall stays discharging until off-peak even during 9pm to 12am and 3pm to 4pm.