TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

PW2 Installation Guide?

Discussion in 'Tesla Energy' started by Chris TX, Jul 27, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member

I've got a PW2 coming and I would really like to see what kind of prep work I need to do. This will be the AC version, as well. I've seen the PW1 guides on the web, but nothing for the PW2. Surely, someone has a PW2 and has the install guide.

Also, has anyone received their PW2 from the referral program?

2. zedkyuu

zedkyuu Member

At least in my case, SolarCity did the install, and they didn't leave any install guide behind. I don't think there was one in the box, even. There is a user guide but it's extremely light on details.

I didn't have to do any prep work; SolarCity did everything. I'm not sure what prep work I could have done, as they immediately went to putting up conduit and electrical panels when they arrived.

• Like x 1
  3. kev1n

kev1n Member

i believe he is looking to do it himself

• Like x 1
  4. zedkyuu

zedkyuu Member

One thing you could do if you have solar is to add a separate electrical panel and then move the solar breaker to it. This panel would need to be connected to your main breaker in the start, and then when the backup gateway arrives, you'd insert that in the middle.

Otherwise, run conduit to your expected Powerwall locations, pull wire, etc.

• Like x 1
  5. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member

I have no solar. This will be a backup/ToU install, only. And yes, I'm looking to do the install, myself.

• Like x 1
  6. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

Out of curiosity, are you getting any tax breaks for such an install?

• Like x 1
  7. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member

Zero. The ToU benefit is great, though. I have free electricity from 9PM-6AM, which will charge the PW2. It will then discharge during the day.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  8. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

#8 Cosmacelf, Jul 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
    Is it really free? Our lowest rate here is 0.16! But I guess it doesn't matter, what matters is the price difference between the cheapest rate and the most expensive rate...

• Like x 1
  9. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member

Yes. 9PM-6AM is free. I charge both my cars, turn on the washer/dishwasher, run the pool, and crank the AC down to 68F at 9PM. During the day, it's 12.9 cents per kWh. When I calculate in all the taxes and fees, I get ~5-6 cents per kWh, for the month.

If I can offset the daytime load with some Powerwalls, that would be even nicer ;)