Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PW2 installed today; a few questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recall (possibly incorrectly), that the PW2 has a feature similar to The Sense Home Energy Monitor. Is this correct? I couldn't find anything on my Android app.

My Android app is working. I looked, but can't find a Windows PC app or a comparable web page.

My battery arrived with 18% charge. Is this normal?

After setup, I was confirming some settings. During setup, set mode for "Backup-only"; when I checked after setup, it said "Self-powered." Setup to only charge from solar, not grid, but can't find that setting now to confirm.

Thanks.

Congratulations!

Do you have solar already?

The tesla app shows whats happening with the powerwall. It is not quite like the sense appliance, as it does not try to narrow down what you are using inside your home. It does have a consumption meter though, that shows what your home is consuming, what your solar is generating, what your powerwall is doing, and how much you are taking from (or putting into) the grid.

Have you looked at the powerwall tesla videos yet?

https://www.tesla.com/ns_videos/pw_walkthrough_TB.mp4

I got a "welcome to tesla" introductory email, with the above video linked, and some getting started information. Did you get that?

Yes, I have solar. Didn't get the welcome email. Yes, I've seen the consumption meter but was hoping for the Sense.capability.

I watched the video, I should, but don't have an "Advanced" mode.

One more question. Can a grid power outage email/SMS notification be created? Need to know when to reduce my consumption.

Last edited:
Yes, I have solar. Didn't get the welcome email. Yes, I've seen the consumption meter but was hoping for the Sense.capability.

I watched the video, I should, but don't have an "Advanced" mode.

One more question. Can a grid power outage email/SMS notification be created? Need to know when to reduce my consumption.

Advanced mode takes a couple days to show up, and there is no "sense" capability in telling you exactly what item is using your power... but at least in my case, the display is fast enough that I can see it spike when I turn on the coffee maker or oven, etc. I also did some checking and the "sense" product itself does not seem to integrate very well into "solar + powerwall" setups. If I remember correctly part of the reason was because of all the different power flow directions, and that the "sense" cant understand some of it... and is not really programmable.

On the notifications, look in the tesla app settings, and you should see "energy" there. It also might take a couple of days to show up, but I dont remember if that takes time or not.

On the notifications, look in the tesla app settings, and you should see "energy" there. It also might take a couple of days to show up, but I dont remember if that takes time or not.

So, if I understand you correctly after a second reading, the notification that is part of a smart phone is where you may have to set up for being notified? I am still getting used to my relatively new iPhone in prep for the upcoming PW installation.
Watching that link above I didn't really see anything that may need to be set up to get notified.

So, if I understand you correctly after a second reading, the notification that is part of a smart phone is where you may have to set up for being notified? I am still getting used to my relatively new iPhone in prep for the upcoming PW installation.
Watching that link above I didn't really see anything that may need to be set up to get notified.

Once it is commissioned, I logged out and logged back in and it was there

Great, thanks. Can you post a picture of that location?

I can take a screenshot if you want, but the location is:

Open Tesla iPhone app -- Click Gear icon in upper left of app (settings icon) --Select "notifications" -- see "Vehicle" And "Energy" -- Select "Energy" (which appears after full setup of powerwalls by tesla at some point)

Only choice in this location is "power outage" and select it to put a check mark in that notification.

Reactions: charlesj
I can take a screenshot if you want, but the location is:

Open Tesla iPhone app -- Click Gear icon in upper left of app (settings icon) --Select "notifications" -- see "Vehicle" And "Energy" -- Select "Energy" (which appears after full setup of powerwalls by tesla at some point)

Only choice in this location is "power outage" and select it to put a check mark in that notification.
Oh, that is great, thanks.
So, it is in the Tesla app itself under settings gear.

Don't need a picture now.

Reactions: jjrandorin
Advanced mode takes a couple days to show up, and there is no "sense" capability in telling you exactly what item is using your power... but at least in my case, the display is fast enough that I can see it spike when I turn on the coffee maker or oven, etc. I also did some checking and the "sense" product itself does not seem to integrate very well into "solar + powerwall" setups. If I remember correctly part of the reason was because of all the different power flow directions, and that the "sense" cant understand some of it... and is not really programmable.

Yes, the Advanced mode showed up the next day, along with the notifications. Unfortunately, it's just on or off for the outage notification. I tested the backup and got an app notification. That's good. The ability to do an SMS notification would be nice as you don't always have mobile data but might have SMS. I'd put power outage in the "urgent" notification category. With the Alarm.com app/push, you can set as many email, app & SMS notifications as you want.

Last edited:
I opened the PW web page using the IP address found through an IP scanner. It offers two login options, installer & customer. I selected customer and used same email & password as app & my Tesla account, but didn't work.

Also, is there a web address to use if you don't have the IP address?

I opened the PW web page using the IP address found through an IP scanner. It offers two login options, installer & customer. I selected customer and used same email & password as app & my Tesla account, but didn't work.

Also, is there a web address to use if you don't have the IP address?

You are on the correct track for a local login. Tesla provides information on their website on how to log in locally in case you dont have internet or something, so you can view status.

Connecting to Tesla Gateway | Tesla Support

You are on the correct track for a local login. Tesla provides information on their website on how to log in locally in case you dont have internet or something, so you can view status.

Connecting to Tesla Gateway | Tesla Support

I had looked at that before. My PW2 is already connected via Ethernet and my Android app is working. Apparently, this video is for PW1. My black PW2 sticker is on the left side. I'm confused by the password.

How to Log In
Step 1: Find your Gateway serial number, which is the password for Backup Gateway and Non-Backup Gateway, on the bottom of the home screen in the Tesla app. For Gateway 2, your serial number is in the Tesla app and your password is located behind the cover of the unit.

I tried the Gateway serial number. There is no password on the battery case sticker. There is the Gateway TSN & also a TPN, which I presume is the part number. So, that leaves me confused on what password I use for the web browser. You would think it's the same as the app password. Thanks.