Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PWS - 2020 Model Y - Help!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the PWS speaker holes see pic but no noise when I back up it’s a 2020 MY made Aug 2020 1 month before cut off? So I am assuming it has the wiring harness but it’s missing the actual speaker can I order a speaker and have them install it does anyone know?

My story is below

Ok so I’m a bit confused and extremely frustrated to make a long story short we ordered a red MY 2021 well it came damaged so we settled for the 2020 MY Demo I asked before buying it if it made the UFO noise backing up they said yes it should as it’s 2020 well after I sign the papers I take it out of the showroom and back it up it doesn’t make that noise I’m beyond upset as not only did they mess up my original order now I bought a vehicle with a key feature missing that I clearly stated I wanted to make sure was on there. The best they could tell me is showing me a tweet saying that Elon said he is thinking about making a retrofit for this.

Attachments

• 4F1F5DD4-C58C-4A1B-A4C9-287B36F929C6.jpeg
    4F1F5DD4-C58C-4A1B-A4C9-287B36F929C6.jpeg
    537.7 KB · Views: 155
I have the PWS speaker holes see pic but no noise when I back up it’s a 2020 MY made Aug 2020 1 month before cut off? So I am assuming it has the wiring harness but it’s missing the actual speaker can I order a speaker and have them install it does anyone know?

My story is below

Ok so I’m a bit confused and extremely frustrated to make a long story short we ordered a red MY 2021 well it came damaged so we settled for the 2020 MY Demo I asked before buying it if it made the UFO noise backing up they said yes it should as it’s 2020 well after I sign the papers I take it out of the showroom and back it up it doesn’t make that noise I’m beyond upset as not only did they mess up my original order now I bought a vehicle with a key feature missing that I clearly stated I wanted to make sure was on there. The best they could tell me is showing me a tweet saying that Elon said he is thinking about making a retrofit for this.
Even if you install the speaker you need to get Tesla to update the software to make it work. Which they likely will not do.

My story is below

extremely frustrated? Really? You were fine till oh my gosh they sent out a free fart speaker now I’m made I didn’t get something free. Sounds more like entitlement personally. Lol enjoy the silence.

Interesting that folks are so thirsty for the PWS now that it has been converted into a boombox. Is it really that big of a deal?

You can only be mad at yourself for not checking if the vehicle had the PWS before signing on the dotted line. Ever heard of the concept of trust, but verify? Just vow to yourself to be better next time.

Reactions: Yelobird and iamnid
I agree, I could not care any less about some stupid fart horn and am not looking forward to a bunch of Tesla’s that want to drive around with the boom box on adding to the noise pollution from the rest of the traffic . I wish it was just active when stationary or just active instead of the UFO sound instead of being able to drive around with it on all the time. I think most people will think it useless too so not actually worried it will be a problem but you never know. I’m guessing most of the “oh I really want it” people dont realize you have to actually turn it on each time you get back in the car too and that it does not replace the UFO sound.

UPDATE!!!!

We were able to buy the PWS speaker from our local Tesla service centre here in Calgary and now not only does it make the UFO noise it also has Boombox. The part number is 1299965-00-A the cost of the part & labour was $188 CAD and was installed at the service centre along with our home link and a bumper adjustment. I have seen that others have installed a speaker and got the UFO noise but but the boombox and I am only going to assume the reason for that is because it was not installed by Tesla themself I am not sure what made the Boombox work maybe being in service mode? Either way I am quite pleased it is now working and we are having so much fun.
AF6C45B1-BBF4-4244-81C2-8573639610B6.jpeg

Reactions: mark95476
...Hmmm... I was meaning to check if the speakers were in stock. Thanks for the update.

UPDATE!!!!

We were able to buy the PWS speaker from our local Tesla service centre here in Calgary and now not only does it make the UFO noise it also has Boombox. The part number is 1299965-00-A the cost of the part & labour was $188 CAD and was installed at the service centre along with our home link and a bumper adjustment. I have seen that others have installed a speaker and got the UFO noise but but the boombox and I am only going to assume the reason for that is because it was not installed by Tesla themself I am not sure what made the Boombox work maybe being in service mode? Either way I am quite pleased it is now working and we are having so much fun. View attachment 629123

I agree, I could not care any less about some stupid fart horn and am not looking forward to a bunch of Tesla’s that want to drive around with the boom box on adding to the noise pollution from the rest of the traffic . I wish it was just active when stationary or just active instead of the UFO sound instead of being able to drive around with it on all the time. I think most people will think it useless too so not actually worried it will be a problem but you never know. I’m guessing most of the “oh I really want it” people dont realize you have to actually turn it on each time you get back in the car too and that it does not replace the UFO sound.