Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PW's discharge rate during "Grid Services" event.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I set my settings to "go off grid"...this prevents the house using the grid during an "event". I'm new to the program, but don't care for my house being powered by the grid while the sun is up and the powerwall is charging from solar. It can do both during non "events", so why use grid to power house instead of solar, which should always be the priority. What needs to be done, is have the PowerWall at 100% prior to the scheduled event...so why not use solar when you know the PowerWall, in my case, is fully charged by 11:30/noon each day. My "events" are from 2:pm to 8:pm

I set my settings to "go off grid"...this prevents the house using the grid during an "event". I'm new to the program, but don't care for my house being powered by the grid while the sun is up and the powerwall is charging from solar. It can do both during non "events", so why use grid to power house instead of solar, which should always be the priority. What needs to be done, is have the PowerWall at 100% prior to the scheduled event...so why not use solar when you know the PowerWall, in my case, is fully charged by 11:30/noon each day. My "events" are from 2:pm to 8:pm
That is what they are doing. Getting your PW up to 100% with the solar the morning before the event. If your PW is not at 100% before the event starts as early as 2pm, then your average kw output average over the seasons events are going to be low and you are not going to get a full payout.

The cost of the kWh you use to power your house the morning before and event while the PWs charge from solar is a small fraction of the payout you would get by having the PWs at full charge for an event. The fiscal math works out in favor of Teslas way, that’s why it’s done that way.

So if you want to manually make sure the PWs are at 100% before an event I guess you are getting the best of both worlds. But then again don’t forget to factor in the cost of your time. Mine isn’t worth that and I’ll take the sure thing that is automated.

Today‘s Grid Services / ConnectedSolutions didn’t work properly for my PowerWalls, instead of pulling at the full 10kW for the 2 PowerWall system I sent 100% of my Solar to the Grid and my battery only went to the house during the event which is not how it is supposed to work.

Today‘s Grid Services / ConnectedSolutions didn’t work properly for my PowerWalls, instead of pulling at the full 10kW for the 2 PowerWall system I sent 100% of my Solar to the Grid and my battery only went to the house during the event which is not how it is supposed to work.
I don’t think that it didn’t work properly for you. Something is different about this event compared to last year. A lot of people are having your experience myself included. A thread discussing it here:

I saw the same thing happen. I just forced a large load on my house by rushing around to put laundry in the dryer, run the dish washer, charge the car etc. I expected the power walls to just dump at full tilt to the grid. I'm going to be very unhappy if this is the standard because it's not how the program was described to work and the compensation will be much much lower and will not end up covering most of the cost of the power walls.

We had an odd event yesterday. In mid "grid event" a Storm Watch was issued around 6pm. Storm watch apparently powers your batteries back to 100%. As the skies were cloudy, the solar wasn't producing much of much. The App showed that they were pulling over 8kw pace in from the grid (our normal house use is about 1kw). The majority of the grid power going to the battery, with the rest going to the home with a little solar that was still being produced going to the house.

I saw it around 6:30. Storm Watch gives you the option to stop the charging or leave it in place. I didn't know that the batteries would charge FROM the grid in MA. Nor did I know they would charge at such a high pull. My solar often produces 8kwh at times and it doesn't all go to recharge the batteries. It goes to the house, and batteries is charged at a lower rate with excess to the grid.

I figured, with a half hour to go on the "event" and the battery at 50% at that time, I'd dismiss the Storm Watch to stop the pull from the grid. It did. I just found it odd that the batteries would be charging from the grid. I guess that's good in a way.

Reactions: bemyax
We had an odd event yesterday. In mid "grid event" a Storm Watch was issued around 6pm. Storm watch apparently powers your batteries back to 100%. As the skies were cloudy, the solar wasn't producing much of much. The App showed that they were pulling over 8kw pace in from the grid (our normal house use is about 1kw). The majority of the grid power going to the battery, with the rest going to the home with a little solar that was still being produced going to the house.

I saw it around 6:30. Storm Watch gives you the option to stop the charging or leave it in place. I didn't know that the batteries would charge FROM the grid in MA. Nor did I know they would charge at such a high pull. My solar often produces 8kwh at times and it doesn't all go to recharge the batteries. It goes to the house, and batteries is charged at a lower rate with excess to the grid.

I figured, with a half hour to go on the "event" and the battery at 50% at that time, I'd dismiss the Storm Watch to stop the pull from the grid. It did. I just found it odd that the batteries would be charging from the grid. I guess that's good in a way.
Before the grid charging option was added in the last few months, Stormwatch was the only time the batteries would grid charge in the US (minus some edge case installs).

Yep, pulling from the Grid is expected during Storm Watch. The problem is what happens to billing during a grid event that has a storm watch event as well.
Great question since the event payout is based on the average kw output per event, if the values are negative like in a stormwatch scenario, do they exclude the events with negative averages from the payout calculations? Or maybe they flag the ones that had stormwatch activate and don’t use those events at all in the average? It would be good to know.

Great question since the event payout is based on the average kw output per event, if the values are negative like in a stormwatch scenario, do they exclude the events with negative averages from the payout calculations? Or maybe they flag the ones that had stormwatch activate and don’t use those events at all in the average? It would be good to know.
I'm guessing that it's all about how much was sent FROM the battery during the 'event' that is included in the totals for the ConnectedSolutions. I'm guessing that the stormwatch draw from grid is included in my Net Metering values, but has no impact on the ConnectedSolutions values, other than Tesla cut the output short for the event with the stormwatch. But it's all a translucent guess from me.

I just posted in another similar thread, but I figured out why my power walls were only matching house load during grid events. The settings weren't allowing for battery export. Make sure energy exports is set to everything. I don't remember this setting always being there, I could be mistaken though. Once I changed this setting my 4 power walls were exporting a combined 21.6kW for the 2 hour duration yesterday.

1658327976520.png