Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PWS speaker details

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To my surprise my Model 3 doesn't have the PWS speaker enabled, I thought it was mandatory now but I understand that it's the case. Anyway it seems a shame to let that speaker go to waste. I assume the speaker is in there anyway, I haven't checked but that shouldn't get in the way of a fact finding mission.

Has anyone handled one of these speakers and determined the details about it and how it performs? Wattage, impedance, frequency response, etc. I know it just has a two wire connector that can be easily sourced, just looking for info as I quite like the idea of using it to play appropriate audio at appropriate times on private land. I already have a few devices in mind to link together to make a dynamic soundboard device powered by USB and I'm surprised that nobody seems to have done this already.

Regarding wiring, is there an easy way to run a thin two-core cable from the centre console to the speaker via the frunk without removing or affecting any trim? I'm essentially looking for a grommet I can just tease the cable through and I don't want to go cutting or drilling my new M3. Alternatively is there a 12V source in there that I can easily piggyback from to power a small amp secured inside the bumper? RHD car by the way, may affect it.

Edit: Should say that I don't want to play engine noises, that's silly. Nor do I want to play police sirens, as funny as that would be. I'm not trying to do anything illegal here, I'm thinking more along the lines of an exterior fart machine...

Last edited:
Hi, I am making my own PWS sound generator, as my 2020 (Italian) M3 does not have any speaker installed....does somebody have a drawing (or, better a 3D model) of the original speaker enclosure ? I guess there is some kind of weather protection and so forth.... I'd like to build one by myself, adding place for my electronics. Thank you in advance...