Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Q&A with G. Blankenship : Mobile app + Superchargers in Canada + Q4 Sales

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Longest Mobile App Test Yet?

You know what's fun? Here is what's fun. Checking in on your Model S from a Rainforest in Central America, knowing that, as my Model S sits 4,000 miles away, it has 242 miles of charge, charging is complete, knowing the interior tempature is 51 degrees and -- just for fun- turning on the heat for a few minutes -- and knowing the car's exact location, seeing that on a map, and just after flashing the lights and then beeping the horn to confuse my neighbors, looking at the map that at the press of a button on my iPhone shows me, and shows my car, and when pressing the "directions button" leaves me smiling as I watch Google Earth fumble directions from Costa Rica to Boston, Massachusetts. That is fun. Think I'll check in with my Model S in a few minutes and unlock the car, and then lock it again.

> Checking in on your Model S from a Rainforest in Central America [ModelS1079]

That would indeed be fun. Here, we have to go 50 miles west or 60 miles east to get 3G. Add a dozen more to find a Starbucks. Life in the OutBack- how do we do it(??).
--

I downloaded the app while I was in Sheffield, UK and controlled my car in Houston, TX. Worked great! Later as I was sitting on a train going 100 mph using the train Wifi to check again, I realized I really do live in the future. Using plane wifi over the Atlantic would no doubt yield a similar feeling.

Longest Mobile App Test Yet?

You know what's fun? Here is what's fun. Checking in on your Model S from a Rainforest in Central America, knowing that, as my Model S sits 4,000 miles away, it has 242 miles of charge, charging is complete, knowing the interior tempature is 51 degrees and -- just for fun- turning on the heat for a few minutes -- and knowing the car's exact location, seeing that on a map, and just after flashing the lights and then beeping the horn to confuse my neighbors, looking at the map that at the press of a button on my iPhone shows me, and shows my car, and when pressing the "directions button" leaves me smiling as I watch Google Earth fumble directions from Costa Rica to Boston, Massachusetts. That is fun. Think I'll check in with my Model S in a few minutes and unlock the car, and then lock it again.

So much for thinking I could sneak a quick ride in your MS around the area without your knowing it while you're off galivanting:smile:

So much for thinking I could sneak a quick ride in your MS around the area without your knowing it while you're off galivanting:smile:

Now, that would be a Mobile App Moment: checking in on the car from thousands of miles away and seeing it is traveling 71 mph on some distant Massachusetts highway. But I'd be happy for whoever stole it. Great car.

Love these stories from The UK, Hawaii, Australia and...Antartica? now, that is COOL.

I delivered my car to a shop to get a small dent (*sob*) repaired. I showed them the plug and told them that Tesla likes to have the car plugged in and I requested that they plug it in at night. I also showed the owner that I could see where the car was, and how fast it was going.

Via Mobile App, I checked the next morning. Charge had gone down, it was not plugged in (to 110v). I emailed the owner and reminded him that Tesla likes to have the car plugged in. 20 minutes later, checked, car was plugged in and charging.

I bet he is not as impressed with the App as I am :biggrin:

reminded him that Tesla likes to have the car plugged in.
Ideally if you are watching SOC, you want your battery to be charged to as low level as possible. As long as battery is not completely discharged, the lower state of charge the better. So if you know that next day you would not drive more then 80 miles, the best for car is to be charged so it could drive 100 miles or something...

I was expecting my soc to drop more as it hasn't been driven for a week, but every time I check its near a full standard charge.. 180-186. Unless Tesla forgot to change the number at which it fills back up from the 85 battery
Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express