Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Q for USB users and audiophile folks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have upgraded sound and it’s pretty good (and much better than S).

Has anyone noticed static or music hiccuping when playing off a USB stick ( it works perfect in my X5 )? Screen setting changes are one of the times that I hear the noise but it can vary when failing.

Also, are you selecting Dolby stereo for all your music or deselecting/adjusting bass/treble/mid-range for certain songs. My wife’s macan recommends shutting off Dolby when looking for an audiophile sound ( linear mode )?

I have upgraded sound and it’s pretty good (and much better than S).

Has anyone noticed static or music hiccuping when playing off a USB stick ( it works perfect in my X5 )? Screen setting changes are one of the times that I hear the noise but it can vary when failing.

Also, are you selecting Dolby stereo for all your music or deselecting/adjusting bass/treble/mid-range for certain songs. My wife’s macan recommends shutting off Dolby when looking for an audiophile sound ( linear mode )?

I have not noticed any static or skips when playing off a PATRIOT USB stick in my X. I have Dolby disabled.

Regarding the skips, the first thing I would do is try another USB stick. If the problem persists, I would reset the center console. If the problem still persists, I would review the encoding and bitrate of the audio files and try to determine whether the skips correlate with a specific encoding type or with songs encoded above a certain bitrate. And then I would give this information to Tesla.

I hear a skip (noticeable, but not so bad) every 15 to 30 minutes or so with my Kingston 512GB USB stick (filled with FLAC files). But, I've also heard the same type of skip while listening to Slacker, so I'm guessing it might not be related to the source device. I haven't tried turning off the Dolby processing (I didn't even realize it had it), so I'll give that a try and report back if the problem goes away.

he most inconvenient thing about my USB stick is that it takes 1-2 minutes for it to be scanned every time I start the car (it seems like it should cache the data and re-use it if it detects the same device the next time).

I have not noticed any static or skips when playing off a PATRIOT USB stick in my X. I have Dolby disabled.

Regarding the skips, the first thing I would do is try another USB stick. If the problem persists, I would reset the center console. If the problem still persists, I would review the encoding and bitrate of the audio files and try to determine whether the skips correlate with a specific encoding type or with songs encoded above a certain bitrate. And then I would give this information to Tesla.

Also have Patriot USB stick. It does work perfectly in other cars (Tesla S, BMW X5), just not this X. So either Premium package or something in wiring/hardware......

I think this CPU is overburdened in some way. I notice that the UI gets laggy as well occasional audio glitches. It would seem that they need to prioritize audio over other non-critical UI functions.

I hear a skip (noticeable, but not so bad) every 15 to 30 minutes or so with my Kingston 512GB USB stick (filled with FLAC files). But, I've also heard the same type of skip while listening to Slacker, so I'm guessing it might not be related to the source device. I haven't tried turning off the Dolby processing (I didn't even realize it had it), so I'll give that a try and report back if the problem goes away.

he most inconvenient thing about my USB stick is that it takes 1-2 minutes for it to be scanned every time I start the car (it seems like it should cache the data and re-use it if it detects the same device the next time).

Reactions: dschamis
I'm certain people will flame in response to my note, but it's still amazing to me that iOS device integration via USB isn't available, even as a paid option (for those who would complain about the licensing costs for all). I have a 160GB iPod plugged in containing high-res AAC files, and can access it via steering wheel controls with instant availability, playlists, cover art and high quality sound (I have music encoded in 320 kbps AAC, even though it's overkill, after my car library got too big for lossless).

I am thrilled about my incoming Model X, but everything I read about the Tesla USB interface suggests it's behind the times.

Playing Music from a USB Drive in the Tesla Model S

And for a company that can build a supercar-fast SUV with FWD, I don't think it's an engineering problem.

I'm certain people will flame in response to my note, but it's still amazing to me that iOS device integration via USB isn't available, even as a paid option (for those who would complain about the licensing costs for all). I have a 160GB iPod plugged in containing high-res AAC files, and can access it via steering wheel controls with instant availability, playlists, cover art and high quality sound (I have music encoded in 320 kbps AAC, even though it's overkill, after my car library got too big for lossless).

I am thrilled about my incoming Model X, but everything I read about the Tesla USB interface suggests it's behind the times.

Playing Music from a USB Drive in the Tesla Model S

And for a company that can build a supercar-fast SUV with FWD, I don't think it's an engineering problem.
I think this has a lot to do with Apple software licensing and the fact that Tesla is using a version of Linux OS not supported by them. This can get worked out in time, but enough people need to make the request for it to be worthwhile.

i'm getting the same hiccups with usb stick playing FLAC. i can't remember if i have dolby selected or not. worked fine on my last car, and i brought the same usb stick home and tested the two songs (short drive) that had hiccups. no hiccups.

I think this has a lot to do with Apple software licensing and the fact that Tesla is using a version of Linux OS not supported by them. This can get worked out in time, but enough people need to make the request for it to be worthwhile.

I don't disagree that there may be some licensing issues here, but shouldn't the fact that the iPhone is the number one device in both the USA and China be enough? Or that the platform has 40% of market share? And it's no secret that Tesla has poached Apple engineers. Again, I'm not saying this needs to be free. I, like many others, would probably happily pay for better integration as an option.

About Apple's 40% Smartphone Market Share

Not trying to be difficult here, and your comment are constructive, but I just don't get this.

I don't disagree that there may be some licensing issues here, but shouldn't the fact that the iPhone is the number one device in both the USA and China be enough? Or that the platform has 40% of market share? And it's no secret that Tesla has poached Apple engineers. Again, I'm not saying this needs to be free. I, like many others, would probably happily pay for better integration as an option.

About Apple's 40% Smartphone Market Share

Not trying to be difficult here, and your comment are constructive, but I just don't get this.
My comments are pure speculation, I try hard to keep my ideas "in the box" but often lose sight of the box altogether. Apple is putting a lot of effort to integrate into existing auto infotainment with their CarPlay platform. Other carmakers are integrating Apple features into their own platforms (i.e. BMW iDrive). Maybe Tesla has it in their plan to do so, but while they are using Linux, there could be DRM issues that cannot be easily overcome.

My comments are pure speculation, I try hard to keep my ideas "in the box" but often lose sight of the box altogether. Apple is putting a lot of effort to integrate into existing auto infotainment with their CarPlay platform. Other carmakers are integrating Apple features into their own platforms (i.e. BMW iDrive). Maybe Tesla has it in their plan to do so, but while they are using Linux, there could be DRM issues that cannot be easily overcome.

All fair points. I don't even need CarPlay (have it on our Yukon Denali, and it's fine but a limited view of the AppleOS) but would prefer even lightning-cable based direct control of iOS devices including playlists, which is much simpler and available even on very inexpensive cars. I should add I'm coming from a BMW with iDrive.

Based on reports from other VINS in the 7000s, I assume you'll have yours soon? Are you in South Florida?

I have to agree with you on this. I tried it for the first time today and the album art didn't even show up. Im hoping they can get around to it.

Congrats on new vehicle.

I was able to get album art with flac files by including a pdf of album embedded in each folder. Takes a little effort but worth it if you want to see the image.

• Informative
Reactions: systemcrashed