Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

q1 2018 earnings estimates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Reality, the decline in sg&a as a percent of auto revenue is so clear with appropriate adjustments for solarcity that i still don't understand how you can't see it. part of shortselling is peeling off layers management uses to confuse financials to get a truer picture of a business. you mentioned it's too hard to make the adjustments but you clearly have the analysis chops to do the work. if you're in deep, do the work because it in a quarter or two it may well be too late.

I was stating the continued decline

You are claiming ~7% eventually, i am claiming never below 15%

thats a big difference

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Just as a tidbit. A friend of mine visited the Fremont factory last week. The S and X lines were running full thrust, but the 3 line was idle. No workers, parts scattered haphazardly around the factory where there was room. From the looks of it he described and assumed that the line had been down for at least a few days. To be fair I didn’t remember a planned downtime very end of April...

Not sure how that will factor into Q2 deliveries and overall rate climb, but it wasn’t good news and I’m a permabull :) in any case I’ve secured my options and reduced delta a lot going in.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Just as a tidbit. A friend of mine visited the Fremont factory last week. The S and X lines were running full thrust, but the 3 line was idle. No workers, parts scattered haphazardly around the factory where there was room. From the looks of it he described and assumed that the line had been down for at least a few days. To be fair I didn’t remember a planned downtime very end of April...

Not sure how that will factor into Q2 deliveries and overall rate climb, but it wasn’t good news and I’m a permabull :) in any case I’ve secured my options and reduced delta a lot going in.

That was possibly the tail end of the 3rd week of April line shutdown (if they were there early last week).

How many pre-sales does GM have for the Bolt?

Yeah.
Didn't think so.

The same number as the entire 2018-2025 GM product line. GM can't/won't take deposits even if you beg.
But they do sell a more expensive car than Tesla. The first SN of a new model performance car is auctioned off for charity. While no record, the latest Corvette sold for $925,000 all proceeds to charity. IIRC, one year sold for $1.5 million for SN01. But IIRC, all that $1.5m does is allow you to buy SN01. The price of the car is not included. And yes, you get to assemble your own engine if you want and get the plaque of the engine builder with your name on it.

GM doesn't operate queues. Some dealers will, but it's not contractual, but neither is Tesla's Model 3 queue. An earlier reservation is no guarantee of an earlier delivery as many May-July reservationists know all too well. It's just a guideline.

Last edited:
I honestly think Tesla is a buy into earnings (i am not closing any short positions)

I mean what bad news can they possibly reveal that isnt already known? Also announcing unrealistic things like Model Y or Chinese factory will probably pump it up through the end of the week.

• Helpful
Reactions: Jonathan Hewitt
I honestly think Tesla is a buy into earnings (i am not closing any short positions)

I mean what bad news can they possibly reveal that isnt already known? Also announcing unrealistic things like Model Y or Chinese factory will probably pump it up through the end of the week.
Another possible scenario is a news vacuum: no news. Bad financials, known; M3 ramp on track but nothing great (something like we've restarted, now back at pre-shutdown level and ramping to 3k/wk in May); cash/profitability guidance maintained, no MY/China GGF news, they hold off until after they achieve 5k/wk so they have more certainly in their CapEx plan. What happens then?

Another possible scenario is a news vacuum: no news. Bad financials, known; M3 ramp on track but nothing great (something like we've restarted, now back at pre-shutdown level and ramping to 3k/wk in May); cash/profitability guidance maintained, no MY/China GGF news, they hold off until after they achieve 5k/wk so they have more certainly in their CapEx plan. What happens then?
idk, it's a great question

im super excited for it either way! Tesla is super captivating as a stock, addictive to follow.

Reactions: EVMeister
Not a single mention of the Roadster, Semi, or Model Y. Autopilot got a tiny mention (no talk of full self driving, or the cross-country trip). I guess these projects are on hold?

Down to 1.6B cash minus customer deposits. CapEx forecast lowered from 3.5B to 3B (they spent 650M, so 2.35B to go). They're in a cash crunch now.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: sunhelm and bhzmark
Looks like the German battery line is not yet installed:

"Consequently, we now expect to reach a module production rate of 5,000 car sets per week even before we install the new automated line designed and built by Tesla in Germany."

Not a single mention of the Roadster, Semi, or Model Y. Autopilot got a tiny mention (no talk of full self driving, or the cross-country trip). I guess these projects are on hold?

Down to 1.6B cash minus customer deposits. CapEx forecast lowered from 3.5B to 3B (they spent 650M, so 2.35B to go). They're in a cash crunch now.
Deposits are separate from cash (under liabilities).

So they beat your expectations on:
*revenue
*earnings
*margins
*cash flow
*cash on hand

And it doesn’t alter your conclusions at all?