Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Q2 2013 Results - Expectations and Projection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What I would love to know is, what did the display at the factory say was last week's production output?

So many previous factory visitors have shared the number they saw on the display, and it's been quite interesting.

This past weekend, an army of TESLIVE people visit the factory, and as far as I can tell, not a peep.

Either a) Tesla turned off/hid the display during TESLIVE tours or b) everybody signed an NDA. I can't figure out which.

Lease accounting is just accounting! Wall Street will "normalize" earnings anyway. On this adjusted basis, I feel that TSLA will shock and have at least $0.30/share unless ZEV goes down 50%+. Even on a non-adjusted basis I am fairly certain that they will be profitable.

They will raise guidance significantly for the second half of the year and will be very profitable in 2013. On an adjusted basis I believe that $1 EPS is a sure thing and I have faith the Wall Street will be using these adjusted numbers going forward. You cannot penalize Tesla for Lease Accounting when all other manufacturers recognize revenue at moment car is delivered to dealer (no matter if sold to end customer or not). It represents cash flow better too.

TSLA will shock everyone. It is going to be a very good quarter. Guidance will be raised to 23,000 cars for 2013 (maybe 22,500 if they subtract some potential in transit vehicles). They will also say that on an adjusted basis, Q3 and Q4 will be profitable.

Everything is happening a lot sooner than expected!

Yes, I think a "normalized" $0.30/share is quite doable, and I posted a question on the market reaction to lease accounting this in the other "Q2 surprise thread" (my bad if it was the wrong thread, but they are similar) http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...Potential-Surprise/page15?p=385699#post385699. Good to hear that you think this will be, as you say, "normalized". But there will surely be trolls screaming that the Q1 profit was the first and only... I hope you are right on the markets view on this, and agree that they will probably state that they expect (slight) profitability Q3 and Q4 and possibly raise the 21000 target slightly (see my post in the other thread). As you say, there will be a growing number of cars in transit this year. In any event, I think we can look forward to the call!

What I would love to know is, what did the display at the factory say was last week's production output?

So many previous factory visitors have shared the number they saw on the display, and it's been quite interesting.

This past weekend, an army of TESLIVE people visit the factory, and as far as I can tell, not a peep.

Either a) Tesla turned off/hid the display during TESLIVE tours or b) everybody signed an NDA. I can't figure out which.

See post #95 in this thread, just above, by Benz which clearly states this:

"Currently producing at an annualized rate of more than 25K units (saw a flat panel on the factory tour that indicated 5,454 units produced in the 2nd quarter."

That's what an owner saw himself at a factory tour during the TESLIVE event.

Here is the link: http://teslamodels.wordpress.com/

But how many of these were actually sold to customers (and paid for) and delivered to them as well?

This might be asked before. But when is Tesla due to report Q2 earnings.

Nasdaq estimates that Tesla Motors will report earnings on July 24. Other sources have been guessing July 22, but they are usually referring to the Monday that begins the week during which the report is likely. None of this is official. In April the company officially announced the earnings report date fifteen days in advance. In February the announcement was made nine days in advance as there was a minor problem that caused a delay in settling on a date. Both of those earnings reports were released on Wednesdays. Since an official announcement has not yet been made this month, it would not surprise me if the earnings report does not arrive next week. Getting the report in during the first month of a new quarter indicates confidence that’s appreciated by investors, especially money managers. Relatively new companies tend to take longer to assemble the data, as has been the case with Tesla in the past. That’s one of those efficiencies as with car production that develop with maturity. My bet is on Wednesday, July 31.

They will raise guidance significantly for the second half of the year and will be very profitable in 2013. On an adjusted basis I believe that $1 EPS is a sure thing and I have faith the Wall Street will be using these adjusted numbers going forward. You cannot penalize Tesla for Lease Accounting when all other manufacturers recognize revenue at moment car is delivered to dealer (no matter if sold to end customer or not). It represents cash flow better too.

Standard carmakers sell to their dealers.

Tesla is selling the cars to customers, the dealers are agents owned by Tesla.

Therefore their accounting method has to be different.

Okay so factoring in 5400 produced for Q2, what's the best and worst case for EPS? (A predicted range?) Anyone wanna give the projection a go based on latest information? LOL.

Someone on the forum predicted $1 per share at around 5470... Didn't check the calculations behind it. I'm more interested in knowing the official current production rate and an update on X and Gen 3 with any good news on battery technology front during earnings.

I was teslalive and although I did not have a plant tour many friends of mine did. No DNA was signed.
Incorrect. Registration for the factory tour included clicking a button on the screen after reading/skimming through some text that was an NDA. Also the sticker with our names on it had "NDA" in the corner.

- - - Updated - - -

I kept mine:

FactoryTourSticker.png