Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Q2 Collections - new owners thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On a slightly more serious note here, Q2 owners seeking to install a Tesla Model Y towbar should be aware that a requisite module has not been fitted to our vehicles at the factory due to component shortages.

This component apparently only controls the towbar electrics, however anyone retrofitting a Tesla towbar to a Q2 Model Y should make sure that the car is remotely checked by Tesla for the presence/absence of this control module when they are booking their service centre installation.

I found this out the hard way after installation, as did the Tesla SC in Milton Keynes, as I now have a fully functional towbar with no working electrics and a control module on back-order.

Q3 vehicles are expected to be affected as well, unless a factory fit towbar has been specified. Tesla didn’t confirm, but sounded shifty, when i asked whether Q3 MY orders that have specified a factory fit towbar might end up being delayed as a result of the parts shortage of this component … if they can’t fit/QA factory fit towbars then none of that spec might come from Shanghai, potentially delaying some people’s orders.

I have a factory fitted towbar (although appears to be some debate as to whether this is actually fitted in China) and confirmed VIN (see sig for details) for my MY which implies they are shipping 'towbar spec' Ys. I'm hoping that all works as expected although prepared for it not to be given the chip shortages. I guess I'll find out in a few weeks time...

On a different note, who has considered sleeping in their car because of the good aircon?
Queenpopsy was so close last night.
Even though you are serious, (or reel me in) and I have considered it too, it does make me smile that we have come to this.
I use a few watts keeping here below 40C so we might as well at least spend the evening in our new 60k living rooms watching Netfix😀.

I believe there are some Youtube vids on camping in a Y and made to mattresses are available.

Keep us posted on her Maj's experience of Zeds in a Y.

Even though you are serious, (or reel me in) and I have considered it too, it does make me smile that we have come to this.
I use a few watts keeping here below 40C so we might as well at least spend the evening in our new 60k living rooms watching Netfix😀.

I believe there are some Youtube vids on camping in a Y and made to mattresses are available.

Keep us posted on her Maj's experience of Zeds in a Y.
I missing the interesting bit of discussion convincing SWMBO of this, though…. :D

Reactions: Wattsisname
nite nite SWMBO

Attachments

• 6D6051AB-7CCA-4B9F-83A4-A47201576498.jpeg
    6D6051AB-7CCA-4B9F-83A4-A47201576498.jpeg
    647.8 KB · Views: 57
Reactions: Kingpopsy
Had the absolute pleasure of driving my brother in law’s Model Y LR today - from Kent, into London, around London and back to Kent.

I have a 8 week year old, so we had to put all the bits and bobs in the boot along with a car seat and I honestly couldn’t believe the amount of space we had.

Autopilot stole the show, was fantastic all through the journey. I was particularly impressed when Autopilot had to emergency break because a damn cyclist fell in front of us!

Even stopped off at Bluewater for a charge, cannot wait to pick mine up at the end of the year!

So, another update. I've had my MY since 28th June, and covered now over 1700 miles. Got used to the one pedal driving - it's fine. Personally, I do find that I put the car in autopilot sometimes on the motorway to relax my right foot/leg as a result. Not a hardship, but just an observation. I think I likely put my Jag into cruise control to do the same thing. Nice smooth driving now I've got used to it - just has taken me longer than I'd anticipated to get there.

Home charging. I have a Zappi and have got quite a bit of charge per day going into the car. However, until I get battery storage and more panels installed (currently got 4kwp), I need a fairly cloudless day to get significant amounts of energy into the car. Fine for right now - but frustrating when conditions are less than optimal.

Tesla Supercharging whilst away from home. I've had mixed experiences with supercharging. One supercharger charge session in Keele northbound services was terrible. Connected up and went to the services only to find when returning that no charge had been added. I guess a problem with the charger, but either way not good. That's the only supercharger which has been problematic for me though - the other stops have been flawless. However, I have seen the car twice now plan for a charging stop, only to change its mind (charger location becoming busier, or consumption less than anticipated) - but because it has been preconditioning the battery, it's wasted quite a bit of energy preparing. Not a good experience. I want to stop the car from doing this - is there any way to tell it to just not precondition the battery for supercharging?

Other charging away from home. Only tried to do this yesterday. Terrible experience. Tried to use "evcharge.online". Just ..... woeful. Had to register, credit my account with £10, then activate the charger, unplug my cable before it would start, then it wouldn't start anyway, timed out (after 3 minutes of waiting looking at an hourglass), tried again, same result. Changed charger, started a charge but stopped straight away, then timed out twice. Gave up. Life's just too short!

However, despite all the moaning above - what a car! :)

In other business: To my Class of Q2 mates, I have posted a rather long winded ( no surprise there) comment in the thread
"Suspension of my newly delivered Y is good".

I would really appreciate your opinions on this subject.

Lizzie is on Gems, I believe many of you are on the big black ones so theoretically,
whatever your experiences, mine should be marginally better

In other business: To my Class of Q2 mates, I have posted a rather long winded ( no surprise there) comment in the thread

Lizzie is on Gems, I believe many of you are on the big black ones so theoretically,
Theoretically...... a dodgy way to respond to a question if ever there was😁

Reactions: Kingpopsy

VaDA is on Gems too and after driving a Mercedes C Class Sport estate she rides like a dream. The only comfier ride I’ve had is a Saab 9-3 TT diesel estate (she was called Saabrina) and I also loved the twin turbo kick from her but the kick from VaDA is from another planet. We didn’t have a name for the Merc - which says a lot really. Saabrina died from a blown turbo on the M74. All in the family still mourn her passing, but all have fallen in love with VaDA.

VaDA is on Gems too and after driving a Mercedes C Class Sport estate she rides like a dream. The only comfier ride I’ve had is a Saab 9-3 TT diesel estate (she was called Saabrina) and I also loved the twin turbo kick from her but the kick from VaDA is from another planet. We didn’t have a name for the Merc - which says a lot really. Saabrina died from a blown turbo on the M74. All in the family still mourn her passing, but all have fallen in love with VaDA.
We had a pimped up Saab Convertible in 1996 with stupidly wide wheels and very low profile tyres. The suspension was lowered and she had a stainless, almost illegal, pipe to exhaust her V6 2.5 litre (Vauxhall) Saab badged motor. A rock hard ride that was a pleasure as was the resulting handling up Swiss windies. Also, I am convinced that the roads were in better nick back then (and maybe I was too).
Her wheels where refurbished twice in the 17 years I drove her. Her stainless exhaust was as perfect as the day I collected her from AFN. In fact her appearance was, including the blue hood, very good. But her digital electrics were shot to bits. She only did 50k miles in that period. Our other 50k was enjoyed on the Moto.

But I digress (surprise surprise )...So then, you are all gliding on a cushion of warm air except me and SWMBO. I do not remember any issues of this sort on the test drive from Godalming. But then, I don't have a problem today on the A3 either. It is potholed and corrugated London and rural roads that cause the issues.

As I stated at the top of the show, she is lovely on a decent road but she tolerates nothing less and it seems that most of the roads we drive are anything but decent....so it's our fault really....

Also, to be fair, it is years since I have driven 1,000 miles in a month on London and Home Counties Roads. Most of our mileage has been on the Mainland and shall be again in September.

I really do appreciate all the feedback (particularly news of what is soon to become the accepted international standard measurement for suspension damping -The TiT Jiggle) thanks to @Utumno

Evening All.

Last edited:
We had a pimped up Saab Convertible in 1996 with stupidly wide wheels and very low profile tyres. The suspension was lowered and she had a stainless, almost illegal, pipe to exhaust her V6 2.5 litre (Vauxhall) Saab badged motor. A rock hard ride that was a pleasure as was the resulting handling up Swiss windies. Also, I am convinced that the roads were in better nick back then (and maybe I was too).
Her wheels where refurbished twice in the 17 years I drove her. Her stainless exhaust was as perfect as the day I collected her from AFN. In fact her appearance was, including the blue hood, very good. But her digital electrics were shot to bits. She only did 50k miles in that period. Our other 50k was enjoyed on the Moto.

But I digress (surprise surprise )...So then, you are all gliding on a cushion of warm air except me and SWMBO. I do not remember any issues of this sort on the test drive from Godalming. But then, I don't have a problem today on the A3 either. It is potholed and corrugated London and rural roads that cause the issues.

As I stated at the top of the show, she is lovely on a decent road but she tolerates nothing less and it seems that most of the roads we drive are anything but decent....so it's our fault really....

Also, to be fair, it is years since I have driven 1,000 miles in a month on London and Home Counties Roads. Most of our mileage has been on the Mainland and shall be again in September.

I really do appreciate all the feedback (particularly news of what is soon to become the accepted international standard measurement for suspension damping -The TiT Jiggle) thanks to @Utumno

Evening All.
If the TiT Jiggle had been invented a week ago then might have been able to comment. Alas the Dr is back at school tomorrow and will be well upholstered so that naughty Scottish teenage boys won’t drool. Alas I have to hand over VaDA to her care for her commute - I’m a little nervous to say the least!