Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Q3 collections, new owners tales and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's more on a particular country Lane near us, if there's another car coming the other way slow down mirrors in, once clear speed up the mirrors auto open then another car appears repeat the process. In our other cars you can fold the mirrors when turning into the lane and then open them again at the other end saving the endless oakiecokie all the way
I think we have the same approach :)

Reactions: Sparky750
First real annoyance with the car today. It’s dry. Not even the lightest of drizzle. Screen is clear. I’ve checked. No wet leaves or anything of any sort in the bottom of the screen. Every engagement if TACC results in the wipers coming on. Can’t be stopped. Only solution is to disengage cruise and then stop the wipers

I understand why TACC needs auto wipers on but I don’t understand why the wipers want to wipe a dry screen

Are you on the latest software of 22.36 or whatever we're on now because it doesn’t seem as bad as it was on the previous software admittedly only 3 days in so time for me to be proved wrong 😂

I’ve had a few “dry wipes” and had to manually wipe a few times too. They also like to go super speed when it isn’t raining all that much.

Gripes aside, it‘s nice the driver side wiper goes flush to the right side of the window!

Thanks for the comments on indicators. I did some experiments today, and if you really push down then you can flick directions. Guess I will have to unlearn the habit of doing the lazy half push for a few flashes of indication when doing such manoeuvres. Or time a pause after the cancel.

Are you on the latest software of 22.36 or whatever we're on now because it doesn’t seem as bad as it was on the previous software admittedly only 3 days in so time for me to be proved wrong 😂
Yes. I was actually thinking maybe 22.36 had made it worse as it’s not done this before and this was the first reasonable length drive since I’ve upgraded! However it’s not the only drive since and I’ve used cruise since with no issues. So I’m assuming it’s a sensor somewhere thinking it needs cleaning

Folding mirrors if you're over a certain speed (25mph I think) they don't fold it's a big gripe of mine.
I just tried this out at 20mph, no luck.
Tried it again at a standstill when about to make a turn and it worked. Turns out it’s 5mph and below to save the location (If there’s a report of a Tesla 72 plate curb crawler, it’s me having popped out at 3am to save all the folding locations while it’s quiet…).

Attachments

• 5F7D599A-DFCD-4FB2-A9B9-0A54143063C6.jpeg
    5F7D599A-DFCD-4FB2-A9B9-0A54143063C6.jpeg
    235.3 KB · Views: 85
I spotted a very nice looking blue MY with
a 72 plate today. It was parked in Airedale Road.
Like mine, it is shod in Geminis and has its aero covers removed. Unlike mine, it lacked hub covers and wheel nut covers.
If you are on here, you know who you are👉.
These items come in a variety of of colours and are comparatively inexpensive. But perhaps you retained your sanity during the EDD rollercoater and therefore did not find it necessary to fill a large cupboard with accessories two months before the car arrived.....
...... as I did.🙄

I spotted a very nice looking blue MY with
a 72 plate today. It was parked in Airedale Road.
Like mine, it is shod in Geminis and has its aero covers removed. Unlike mine, it lacked hub covers and wheel nut covers.
If you are on here, you know who you are👉.
These items come in a variety of of colours and are comparatively inexpensive. But perhaps you retained your sanity during the EDD rollercoater and therefore did not find it necessary to fill a large cupboard with accessories two months before the car arrived.....
...... as I did.🙄
P.S. Plain red calliper covers would look rather nice.

Not sure if this has been posted before but someone in Sweden has compared Model Ys from China and Berlin and MYP from Berlin and there are some seat differences between China and Berlin. Link below:
Good comparison, but be aware that this is a fast changing game! We have a UK spec MIC March MYP, which fits the description in this video perfectly. But we also have a MIC September MYP that appears more in line with the Berlin cars in this video i.e. it has the rear parcel shelf and softer feeling suspension. I haven't checked the front seats for the extra stitching, but will report back later.

Reactions: Wattsisname
I've had my MY for about a month now, so here's a little update. Usually, these posts are filled with complaints as this is the internet after all. But overall "Gandalf the Grey" has performed brilliantly.

I use to fill up on petrol once a week, but now I charge every 3rd day on Octopus Go, this keeps me between 85% and 50% charge. Averaging 256 W/mile.

I've opted to not continue with Premium Connectivity. Using my android phone and Tasker, my phone turns on the hotspot when it connects to Gandalf via Bluetooth. The trick is to set the hotspot AND the home wifi to remain on whilst on drive. This means Gandalf doesn't turn off the Wifi after leaving the home one and instead switches to the hotspot without issue.

The suspension is firm but not uncomfortable. For objectiveness, I come from a small Toyota Yaris with small 15" wheels. The MY is an upgrade!

Autosteer has been fantastic, haven't had any cases of it steering me towards a wall. TACC equally has been good, a couple of errors and I had to manually take over but those were smooth transitions and no cases of full-on braking that I hear about.

Auto-wipers work well when it really rains, in my opinion, it's a bit under-sensitive when it's a light mist over the windscreen.

Auto-headlights turn on far too early, sometimes during the day and it's not even overcast. I just turn off the auto before I drive.

Cold frosty mornings I get the "multiple cameras blocked or blinded" message. I feel bad for the upcoming cars without the USS, increasing camera resolution isn't going to help if they're obscured every morning in the driveway without the means to clear them themselves.

Good comparison, but be aware that this is a fast changing game! We have a UK spec MIC March MYP, which fits the description in this video perfectly. But we also have a MIC September MYP that appears more in line with the Berlin cars in this video i.e. it has the rear parcel shelf and softer feeling suspension. I haven't checked the front seats for the extra stitching, but will report back later.
I have a Sept MY from China and can confirm internal specs are different to the German MY in the video, i.e. no extra seat stitching, lower carpetted area in the boot, thick front windows.

Reactions: Peteski
I have a Sept MY from China and can confirm internal specs are different to the German MY in the video, i.e. no extra seat stitching, lower carpetted area in the boot, thick front windows.
Yeah I can now confirm the same with my MIC Sep MY. It definitely doesn't have the revised seat stitching. So it looks like the Berlin cars are still a bit ahead of the curve. But since this is Tesla, staggered incremental spec changes are par for the course. Of the 4 Teslas I've owned, not one of them was delivered in the latest spec. Our 2018 MX very narrowly missed out on MCU2. Our 2021 M3 very narrowly missed out on the heated steering wheel and revised door trims. Now both our 2022 MYs are old hat, lol. Of course none of it makes any real difference. It's like buying a computer with specs constantly changing.

Yeah I can now confirm the same with my MIC Sep MY. It definitely doesn't have the revised seat stitching. So it looks like the Berlin cars are still a bit ahead of the curve. But since this is Tesla, staggered incremental spec changes are par for the course. Of the 4 Teslas I've owned, not one of them was delivered in the latest spec. Our 2018 MX very narrowly missed out on MCU2. Our 2021 M3 very narrowly missed out on the heated steering wheel and revised door trims. Now both our 2022 MYs are old hat, lol. Of course none of it makes any real difference. It's like buying a computer with specs constantly changing.
Yeah, can't say I'm too fussed to be honest! Seats are fine for me!

I’ve also had my car for about a month now. 90% of which, I’ve been driving around with a cracked passenger window - it felt like having a brand new iPhone and dropping it after day one and having to look at a cracked screen every time.

But I can say that today it’s FINALLY BEEN FIXED! Wholly moly, you honestly wouldn’t believe that having a fixed window would make it feel like a new car but it does - we can finally open the door and my partner no longer has to climb over the centre console! 🤣

That brings me to Tesla service experience. Overall, fantastic. Booked in via the app. Shortly after, got the appointment details. Had to wait a few weeks for the part to arrive but that was to be expected - not like they have spare glass hanging around. When the appointment came up, got plenty of notifications, a call, etc. about it so overall felt up to date with what was going on. They booked a chauffeur to a destination of my choice since it was going to take a few hours (and to be honest, I could’ve just hung out at the service centre with my laptop for a few hours but opted for the mall instead). One thing to note: I parked the car up, then went inside and waited about 20 mins for someone wearing a Tesla top to walk past. When they finally did, I asked to “check in” and they said oh no you just drive in, park, no need to leave the key, then leave - they have a geofence where it knows the car has arrived and it’s automatically put into service mode after parked so I clearly missed that in the info leading up to it. I then got plenty of notifications on my app when the car was ready (which only took a few hours). In the app messages they tell you the PIN to Drive number so you rock up, open up, put the PIN in and then drive. The PIN disappears after that. Overall, great experience (oh and they replaced the glass for free).

Back to the overall ownership experience.

Charging: I park in a residential block and have those podpoint charger thingys. So far, I haven’t paid a cent for the charging because when I plugged in, it just started charging….to be safe, I’m putting the money aside if the property manager ever pulls me up! :D That being said, it’s kinda bad because now I’m not doing any efficiency driving whatsoever. I definitely put my foot down far too often and am genuinely worried about burning through my tires before 10K miles. Total KWH input = 336, total mileage 655.

Acceleration boost. The car was fast before. Now it’s REALLY FAST. Biggest difference is: off the mark - you can feel a marked difference in the instant power. Feels more like a M3 because prior to the boost, it would have an every so slight lag when you put the foot down. Going from 20-60 is also just wow. It feels like a rocket and you can hear the whine of the motor much more (which I happen to really like).

Handling: I feel is good. Not M3 good, naturally, but definitely can hold it’s own under heavy lateral forces. Traction control is also phenomenal (which, when you put your foot down on wet roads you really gain an appreciation for how well it can put the power down - it’s like they’ve been in the traction game for multiple decades - it’s effortless). It probably helps with the Pilot Sports but I’m sure the Hankook’s don’t feel much different.

Suspension: honestly, I love the way it feels 95% of the time. I like that it feels sporty-firm. And there’s definitely still a softness over even speed bumps that I didn’t feel in the test drive. I also feel that it’s softening up even after a few hundred miles. The 5% is obviously those pot holes on both sides of the roads - you know the ones - where it’s like pothole left, right, left, left, right, left, right, right in quick succession. It definitely bobbles around uncomfortably. Good thing is, even in London, there’s not thaaat many of those super bad roads that have these. Overall, super happy with the ride.

A few other bits:

Sound system is bomb - when it’s just me I really do blast it and it’s siiick no matter the volume.

Never had an issue with auto wipers - turns on at the time I would have. I turn off auto high beam when dark and on autopilot - turns off for the trip (so going on and off AP it keeps the same settings). I don’t do too much motorway driving which is the only time I put it on. Speaking of, when I am on the motorway, I love to sit in the leftmost lane, somewhere between the lorries, put on the AP and just chill - honestly just feels so nice to relax (while staying alert enough).

Oh, today I got picked up from the service centre in an early Fremont build M3 that’s clearly done thousands of miles…… Jeeeeez! That thing is a rattling machine! It felt so cheap and yuck. The driver was amazing, and he still loves driving it - but man what a HUGE difference in build quality. Also, am I bloody happy that I didn’t buy the M3. No offence to M3 owners, they’re great driving machines (i.e. for the driving enthusiast), but as a passenger in the back, and I’m guessing in the front as well... it wasn’t that great to be honest. The big bar that goes between the glass roof almost defeats the glass roof itself and I think being a bit higher, even as a driver, is better for 90% of your regular driving. Maybe I’m being biased (actually, I definitely am) but it really feels that the Y is the better overall package. I’m so glad my partner convinced me to get it (and let’s be real, did I even have a choice? :D).

That’s about it - there’s plenty of others points (all good) but for those future owners out there, you will NOT be disappointed.

Ooooh, I almost forgot - are we jealous of the 2 new colours out of Berlin? I must admit, that Quicksilver looks siiiiick! How it’s like dark on various surfaces/angles but blindingly shiny on others - dang, I will probably look enviously when they’re eventually on these shores.

Last edited:
I’ve also had my car for about a month now. 90% of which, I’ve been driving around with a cracked passenger window - it felt like having a brand new iPhone and dropping it after day one and having to look at a cracked screen every time.

But I can say that today it’s FINALLY BEEN FIXED! Wholly moly, you honestly wouldn’t believe that having a fixed window would make it feel like a new car but it does - we can finally open the door and my partner no longer has to climb over the centre console! 🤣

That brings me to Tesla service experience. Overall, fantastic. Booked in via the app. Shortly after, got the appointment details. Had to wait a few weeks for the part to arrive but that was to be expected - not like they have spare glass hanging around. When the appointment came up, got plenty of notifications, a call, etc. about it so overall felt up to date with what was going on. They booked a chauffeur to a destination of my choice since it was going to take a few hours (and to be honest, I could’ve just hung out at the service centre with my laptop for a few hours but opted for the mall instead). One thing to note: I parked the car up, then went inside and waited about 20 mins for someone wearing a Tesla top to walk past. When they finally did, I asked to “check in” and they said oh no you just drive in, park, no need to leave the key, then leave - they have a geofence where it knows the car has arrived and it’s automatically put into service mode after parked so I clearly missed that in the info leading up to it. I then got plenty of notifications on my app when the car was ready (which only took a few hours). In the app messages they tell you the PIN to Drive number so you rock up, open up, put the PIN in and then drive. The PIN disappears after that. Overall, great experience (oh and they replaced the glass for free).

Back to the overall ownership experience.

Charging: I park in a residential block and have those podpoint charger thingys. So far, I haven’t paid a cent for the charging because when I plugged in, it just started charging….to be safe, I’m putting the money aside if the property manager ever pulls me up! :D That being said, it’s kinda bad because now I’m not doing any efficiency driving whatsoever. I definitely put my foot down far too often and am genuinely worried about burning through my tires before 10K miles. Total KWH input = 336, total mileage 655.

Acceleration boost. The car was fast before. Now it’s REALLY FAST. Biggest difference is: off the mark - you can feel a marked difference in the instant power. Feels more like a M3 because prior to the boost, it would have an every so slight lag when you put the foot down. Going from 20-60 is also just wow. It feels like a rocket and you can hear the whine of the motor much more (which I happen to really like).

Handling: I feel is good. Not M3 good, naturally, but definitely can hold it’s own under heavy lateral forces. Traction control is also phenomenal (which, when you put your foot down on wet roads you really gain an appreciation for how well it can put the power down - it’s like they’ve been in the traction game for multiple decades - it’s effortless). It probably helps with the Pilot Sports but I’m sure the Hankook’s don’t feel much different.

Suspension: honestly, I love the way it feels 95% of the time. I like that it feels sporty-firm. And there’s definitely still a softness over even speed bumps that I didn’t feel in the test drive. I also feel that it’s softening up even after a few hundred miles. The 5% is obviously those pot holes on both sides of the roads - you know the ones - where it’s like pothole left, right, left, left, right, left, right, right in quick succession. It definitely bobbles around uncomfortably. Good thing is, even in London, there’s not thaaat many of those super bad roads that have these. Overall, super happy with the ride.

A few other bits:

Sound system is bomb - when it’s just me I really do blast it and it’s siiick no matter the volume.

Never had an issue with auto wipers - turns on at the time I would have. I turn off auto high beam when dark and on autopilot - turns off for the trip (so going on and off AP it keeps the same settings). I don’t do too much motorway driving which is the only time I put it on. Speaking of, when I am on the motorway, I love to sit in the leftmost lane, somewhere between the lorries, put on the AP and just chill - honestly just feels so nice to relax (while staying alert enough).

Oh, today I got picked up from the service centre in an early Fremont build M3 that’s clearly done thousands of miles…… Jeeeeez! That thing is a rattling machine! It felt so cheap and yuck. The driver was amazing, and he still loves driving it - but man what a HUGE difference in build quality. Also, am I bloody happy that I didn’t buy the M3. No offence to M3 owners, they’re great driving machines (i.e. for the driving enthusiast), but as a passenger in the back, and I’m guessing in the front as well... it wasn’t that great to be honest. The big bar that goes between the glass roof almost defeats the glass roof itself and I think being a bit higher, even as a driver, is better for 90% of your regular driving. Maybe I’m being biased (actually, I definitely am) but it really feels that the Y is the better overall package. I’m so glad my partner convinced me to get it (and let’s be real, did I even have a choice? :D).

That’s about it - there’s plenty of others points (all good) but for those future owners out there, you will NOT be disappointed.

Ooooh, I almost forgot - are we jealous of the 2 new colours out of Berlin? I must admit, that Quicksilver looks siiiiick! How it’s like dark on various surfaces/angles but blindingly shiny on others - dang, I will probably look enviously when they’re eventually on these shores.
You just created some Quicksilver envy.
Especially because MSM / Red Multi Coat are now restricted to ‘cheap’ RWD MiC. It will really differentiate LR AWD that way.

I’m afraid my MSM just lost some resale value 😂

Actually, I am going to use the opportunity (a quiet 20mins on a Sunday morning!) to write up some things I've meant to.

1 month in, 1000 miles driven.
  • Driving:
    • We've come from a 2012 C-MAX. No assisted driving of any sort, no climate control etc.
    • Like the vast majority - I can't say how much I love this car. My wife is also grinning like a maniac when driving and giving the acceleration a heavy foot when the right opportunity arises.
    • For some that may remember a post I made after a week or so in (that was the first time I even tried using standard mode from chill to everyone's surprise!), I still drive in chill, the only time being when reaching some 60mph areas near us where I get to floor it. Wow.
    • I've done a 3hr drive (Surrey to Leicester) and back. Really enjoyed it, used TACC and Lane Assist a lot.
    • I didn't enjoy having to manually disengage and reengage LA each time I moved lanes (and the chimes - I must try Joe mode out), but I understand this is where basic AP ends and Adv AP begins. Otherwise; loved the feeling of relaxation from both.
    • Days go by where the brake doesn't get used!
  • Battery / Efficiency:
    • I tend to find we do lots of short drives of 10-30mins (taxying 2 kids around to/from places, wife commutes twice a week).
    • We are quite quickly getting down from 80% to 55-60% every other day, and with very substantial range remaining, I still feel the need to give a short charge overnight back to 80% from about 55%. Perhaps I'll relax more and let the car go 3-4 days at a time before charging from 30% ish (any thoughts to stay as I am, or move to this sometimes/all the time?).
    • With this being so reasonable in cost on the overnight rate, it's not an imposition.
  • Charging:
    • I did notice once time after plugging in that it was green and charging, but other than that, it's behaved itself totally. Each time, IO has delivered the charge per request, and all has been good.
  • Niggles/Gripes:
    • Per my post above; immediate indication to another direction following the opposite direction is catching me out a bit. Not sure if the answer in these admittedly rare cases is to pause between, if time allows, or just trying changing indication from one side to the other with the stalk being held down/up much longer.
    • Accidental flashing headlights - I'm sometimes flashing oncoming traffic by accident when indicating right. Clearly I'm pulling it toward me slightly as I lift the stalk up, but seems to be easily done (any one else? I notice in night driving and wonder how many times Ive done without noticing!)
    • Climate control - I'm struggling here as a noob. Sometimes I just want the heated seats on, but this puts cold air on too. I am not sure Auto setting is that helpful, or at least, do you all have it on Auto, but fiddle with the temp adjusting that to the desirable temp for the day and let Auto take it from there? I have put the seat heating shortcuts in the tray, which seems to do the trick, but not always (sometimes the blowers come on too). Again, I think it's down to the target temp? I've been through the manual, will have a bit of a better search of YouTube.
    • Folding mirrors/Save Location - this is a big one as I'm attempting daily. Leaving our house in most cases means some narrow roads. I am folding and clicking 'save location' but this is not working. I notice it is a quick flash of blue (or if I hold my finger on the button, a longer display of blue saying 'location saved') but it looks to my like it's absolutely not saving it (the 'location saved' does not stay on screen as soon as I lift my finger). I am using the live traffic maps, Spotify and live-cam views all fine otherwise, indicating no fault with the signal/connectivity.
    • This was our fault, but worth a note; we all jumped in the car one morning for the school run in the rain (this one time, due to the weather, it was with the intention of me jumping out with our son, walking the last bit, and my wife heading off to work in the car from there - me walking home in the rain, I digress ;) ). When we got into the car, we only half-noted that the car had chosen me, so my wife just changed the profile to her name on screen for the seating position. However, when we reached the school drop-off point, I jumped out and left the car (taking with my phone on me) she stopped for a minute, got into a mild exchange with another parent, hopped out the car to ask them nicely to reverse (lol, don't ask), and then when she got back in was totally baffled why the car was having none of it and she needed to go into the app to reactivate the car with her 'key'. A painful/stressful/embarrassing couple of mins. Like I said, this was our fault, and we'll be more aware if the wrong 'key' is recognised against the driver (that's gotta be a pretty rare scenario tbh!).
    • Curb rash. Yep. This was me. Did it last week, a grind on the front passenger side rim and the sound haunted me for the rest of the drive ('I can still heeear it'). If it had been my wife, I would have been sad but at least could be a bit smug and condescending - instead I'm just sad haha. Ah well, it's done now. Time to move on!
    • Spotify limitations - I am loving the speakers, sounds fantastic. I'll even admit I'm not hearing a difference between the low bitrate streaming vs HQ Spotify settings or downloads over bluetooth to our phones. However; some simple enhancements to functionality here would be a big help; clicking albums from songs shown to see the whole of that album, or adding to a playlist on the fly, all things you can do with the usual Spotify apps. I've got family Spotify and have added the account to that. I've made the car acc a follower of a bunch of playlists and we all add songs to the playlists from our phones, which the car picks up nicely. It'll do.
    • Tesla App (iOS) - I wish you could do a bit more here; top of my Wishlist would be to watch sentry recordings back.
    • Tesla UI - I don't have the previous iterations to compare to, but agreed there's things that could be improved. I have yet to do anything with energy or driving eficiency, I know there's an energy app... never seems to offer much, but I'm checking when I've arrived home. Is this something to view while driving? I will again have to look at YouTube, as Tesla don't offer much guidance (to new drivers/new EV owners).
That's long enough I'm sure! In order to not end on all those 'gripes' - I just have to say again, I'm looking for any opportunity to jump in the car and drive anywhere; couldn't be happier with the purchase. Thanks for reading!

Use the energy app whilst driving and it tells you so much. If your air con needs adjusting to improve range, driving style, speed etc, it’s just updated and now is a good tool.

Also you can use your rear camera view whilst driving, which we do quite a lot in our M3P … keeps the kids happy.

If you plan on getting a home charger fitted it brings down running costs massively, then as recommended by Tesla when not using just keep it always plugged in.

The Tesla widget on iPhone is good for a constant screen check on battery, sentry mode on or off, heating etc, also a quick way to unlock the car.

Always have Joe mode on and standard regen and steering. Never drive in chill as I find for the difference it makes to acceleration it’s not worth the energy savings … and you can’t beat making the kids feel sick with a good old 0-60 in 3 seconds…. At EVERY opportunity!

Enjoy