Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Q3 collections, new owners tales and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I mentioned the accidental light flash when indicating recently. I’ve gotten better at not doing this (did it once this week!), but i have to make a concerted effort to really not pull the stalk toward me even slightly.

Something I forgot to mention in my write up was the voice control. I had 3, 4 goes in the first couple of weeks, never worked. I should have a look at the actual list of commands but have all but written this feature off.

I’m still loving this car, every single time I drive it, all the complaints and niggles are outweighed by the positives :)
Check the voice control language setting, mine was set to Dutch despite all the others being set to English UK.

Been reading all your latest posts (Last 5 pages) and some really good stories in here.
I hopefully pickup my MYLR in the next few weeks and I cannot wait to try all the different things you guys have said.

I was not quite certain about AB - but after reading a few things on here I may go out and buy it.

Anyone have experience on how to tell the Chief Financial Officer? (AKA the Wife)

Asking for a friend...
Ask your friend to gift the CFO something she will cherish for Christmas with a 1.5k value and in turn your friend can gift himself AB. It’s 3K spend in all, but needs to be done to maintain peace and harmony.

OR

Your friend can do without AB ( it’s seconds after all) instead still gift the CFO a gift she will cherish this Christmas. That said the CFO just might grant your friend’s wish for an AB as long as your friend can convince the CFO why seconds matter.

I am married too, but CFO’s know their stuff😅. With my CFO AB doesn’t fly!

Counting on your friend ….👍🏻

Ask your friend to gift the CFO something she will cherish for Christmas with a 1.5k value and in turn your friend can gift himself AB. It’s 3K spend in all, but needs to be done to maintain peace and harmony.

OR

Your friend can do without AB ( it’s seconds after all) instead still gift the CFO a gift she will cherish this Christmas. That said the CFO just might grant your friend’s wish for an AB as long as your friend can convince the CFO why seconds matter.

I am married too, but CFO’s know their stuff😅. With my CFO AB doesn’t fly!

Counting on your friend ….👍🏻
Might need to go with the first option... I suppose she did push out a baby 5 months ago...

Wish me my friend luck everyone!

Great to hear so many positive experiences and feedback. My MY stopped responding and had a complete lockout on day 10 (Oct 4th). Nightmare to try to recover it as it couldn’t be towed. Had M3 since as a loaner whilst waiting for some resolution. It seems now to be identified as an error with the HV battery in the PCS board. Anyone had similar issues?

Feedback on my experience with M3 drive so far:
Love the drive - it’s nippy to say the least. Very smooth and easy to drive. The auto park doesn’t also appear, but when it does it parks with speed. Cameras are excellent when driving and I love the heated steering wheel! Get blocked pillar camera regularly and warning to say emergency call system is unavailable. There has been a few occasions that I’ve got in and the screen hasn’t turned on - I’ve got out and back in and it seems to reboot. My only major issue with the drive - Have experienced quite significant phantom breaking and now won’t use AP if there are any cars around me really. I feel lucky not to have had someone go into the back on one occasion. I wish it just had standard cruise control.

I really hope I’ll see my MY again soon - but at the moment return estimation is 6th Dec! Looking forward to remembering why I went with a MY over a M3 - I’ve got so used to it now.

Great to hear so many positive experiences and feedback. My MY stopped responding and had a complete lockout on day 10 (Oct 4th). Nightmare to try to recover it as it couldn’t be towed. Had M3 since as a loaner whilst waiting for some resolution. It seems now to be identified as an error with the HV battery in the PCS board. Anyone had similar issues?

Feedback on my experience with M3 drive so far:
Love the drive - it’s nippy to say the least. Very smooth and easy to drive. The auto park doesn’t also appear, but when it does it parks with speed. Cameras are excellent when driving and I love the heated steering wheel! Get blocked pillar camera regularly and warning to say emergency call system is unavailable. There has been a few occasions that I’ve got in and the screen hasn’t turned on - I’ve got out and back in and it seems to reboot. My only major issue with the drive - Have experienced quite significant phantom breaking and now won’t use AP if there are any cars around me really. I feel lucky not to have had someone go into the back on one occasion. I wish it just had standard cruise control.

I really hope I’ll see my MY again soon - but at the moment return estimation is 6th Dec! Looking forward to remembering why I went with a MY over a M3 - I’ve got so used to it now.
The pillar camera blocked issue is standard on the M3/Y, especially through the winter months. Just ignore it. Same goes for SOS call system. I seem to remember a service recall request for this on my M3 a while back, which I think fixed it. My current MY has the same issue. I just ignore it.

I'm one of those rare owners who doesn't seem to suffer much from phantom braking (I get the occasional event). But there are situations I don't use AP because I know it will be an issue e.g. roads with parked cars on the side.

Hope you get your MY back soon. They are great fun to drive, as is the M3.

Reactions: Benotomy
I need to learn that cruise brakes for cars parked on the road!

Unrelated to that, I had a scare with a lorry coming towards me on a 40mph B road today. I was using cruise control, the lorry drifted slightly across the line into my side of the road and just as I figured we might be about to have some excitement the car sounded the alarm, hit the brakes and I am pretty sure it (the car) nudged us to the left.

Or did it.. or was it me.. I think there should be a log of messages / interventions for later review.

I need to learn that cruise brakes for cars parked on the road!

Unrelated to that, I had a scare with a lorry coming towards me on a 40mph B road today. I was using cruise control, the lorry drifted slightly across the line into my side of the road and just as I figured we might be about to have some excitement the car sounded the alarm, hit the brakes and I am pretty sure it (the car) nudged us to the left.

Or did it.. or was it me.. I think there should be a log of messages / interventions for later review.
There is a log I just can't remember where but I've seen it

Reactions: Andy H
As of this Saturday I am 6 weeks and 930 miles into MYLR ownership. MSM, black interior, 20s, and no extra fancy-dan software :D

My experiences for far:

- Fit and finish.

No issues. I took it to a detailers for full valet and ceramics on about week 3, with an instruction to 'do anything that needed doing'. Report back was that interior and exterior were all of very good standard. Paint finish was all good with the exception of a small chocolate bar sized section on the rear bumper that looked like it had been 'swirled' but was easily corrected with the machine polisher

-Charging.

At home Tesla Wall Connector 3, with Intelligent Octopus tariff. Again, no issues at all. I use the "5.30am Off Peak finish" cheat to stop any premature charging on connection, and IO app has been without major hiccup. On two occasions I have had 79% rather than the target 80% SoC but really, who is complaining about that?

My biggest surprise has been the knock-on effect it has had on our household attention to energy consumption (more generally) and time-shifting high demand tasks to the off-peak period. All associated benefits of MY ownership

- General Software

All good. Nav and all on-screen systems are excellent in my experience. Small gripe with the Radio app - search and navigation seems pretty limited to me but hoping the 2022.40 update fixes this tis the logos. Not sure why we have Radio AND TuneIn but 🤷‍♂️ TuneIn seems to have licensing issues around live sport broadcast in the UK which is 50% of my radio listening so its pretty meh for me. Spotify native app means we listen to much more music in the car as a family than we used to coming from a Bluetooth-to-phone situation in the old car

Goes without saying the kids LOVE all the other ents in-car. Games, Netflix, all of it. Becoming harder to get them out of the MY when we arrive at a destination :D and often I just can't. Weekend football, one of them just stays in the car whilst the other one does their training and vice versa. Need a secure "Kids mode" as well as a "Dog mode"

Special shout out to pre-departure climate, seat and steering wheel heating. I love this stuff

- Driving

We are coming from a Porsche Panamera, so really the ride "firmness" hasn't been such a shock. On poor quality surfaces you can feel a fair amount from the road, but given that it is expected to support a 2 ton 4.8 second accelerating family wagon around corners I find it all within acceptable boundaries. However the associated noise from the kids seats in the back is driving me mental! Car itself is rattle free

Performance and drivability are all excellent and I thoroughly enjoy driving - equally as much as the Porsche. One surprise to me has been impact on driving style. I've always enjoyed quick cars and driving them enthusiastically where and when possible. In the MY i am relying on AP more and more and really liking the more sedate approach to journies. Which brings me on to......

- AP

On M/A road journeys I have been really impressed. I don't expect it to do too much, and disengage for lane changes and anything that I am not comfortable with. Has been seamless in that context since we bought it. Pull away from stationary is a bit keen when you are in slow traffic but I imagine that gets adjusted with software
Wipers- fine
Lights - bit flashy on occasions but has been on Auto since day one and I've kept it there
Braking - fine. Occasionally over cautious but really would you prefer it to be a bit too over-confident?

- Overall

I realise I'm a Tesla n00b but I have owned cars before. The Tesla ownership experience is not like any other car ownership experience and I am thoroughly enjoying it. i am sure some of the novelty wears off, but I am amazed by some of the threads on here with folks so dissatisfied with this and that, and software updates and associated niggles. Its a car. It won't be perfect. I wanted to live in my Panamera when I bought it, and by year 3 I was ready for a change. I'm guess this is why the 2019 M3 owners on here moan so much! ;) (joking joking...)

Loving the car and the whole proposition. I hope all my fellow Q3ers are enjoying the same experience