Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Q4 2017 Shareholder Letter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just read through the Q4 2017 shareholder letter, and I noticed an interesting phrase on page 5:

"With demand outpacing production, we plan to optimize the options mix in order to maximize gross margin."

This implies to me that they plan to focus on higher margin configurations. Do people think this was in reference to the S and X only, or is this possibly a sign that they intend to prioritize Model 3 Long Range with PUP over the Short Range? It makes me wonder if there is some truth to the belief that those wanting LR or AWD will possibly receive their vehicles before those opting for the base SR model despite being behind them in the queue.

Thoughts?

I really hope the next round is NOT AWD with PUP and LR.

I only want AWD SR and maybe PUP
It would be equally frustrating and hilarious if they decided to put off the SR in favor of offering what could be a $60-70k version of their "affordable" car.

Still waiting, less patiently than ever, for the affordable version of this car to emerge...

I only want a base SR to buy, but would be interested in a higher priced version if they were to unveil a competitive leasing program.

I just read through the Q4 2017 shareholder letter, and I noticed an interesting phrase on page 5:

"With demand outpacing production, we plan to optimize the options mix in order to maximize gross margin."

This implies to me that they plan to focus on higher margin configurations. Do people think this was in reference to the S and X only, or is this possibly a sign that they intend to prioritize Model 3 Long Range with PUP over the Short Range? It makes me wonder if there is some truth to the belief that those wanting LR or AWD will possibly receive their vehicles before those opting for the base SR model despite being behind them in the queue.

Thoughts?
This is for S/X.

Thoughts?

No one should be surprised when they release a Model 3 with Performance + AWD for a very significant premium with delivery in a month from or two from when the order is placed with no other requirements such as an existing reservation or current Tesla ownership. Tesla has always delivered higher margin models with a higher priority and it would be very silly of them not to do so.

I am happy with whatever helps them increase revenue/income as that will help them with the Model 3 ramp and other products.

There may never be AWD with SR.

The Model 3 Delivery Estimator (for those of us current owners with first-day reservations) still shows Dual Motor AWD with a choice of LR or SR battery packs, and a Jul-Sep 2018 delivery window. I think there would be a huge outcry if they were to take the SR pack off the table entirely. But it wouldn't surprise me if those who order AWD with the LR pack get their cars earlier in the delivery window than those who order AWD and the SR pack.

Reactions: SageBrush
I think they should deliver the most profitable version they can configure. Which will probably be the 3LRD w/PUP w/AP2. Forcing FSD would probably not be wise, and could cause problems. It's one thing to allow people to purchase an option that isn't available yet, it's another thing to make it 'standard' equipment to complete the sale.

Then as sales taper, move down the price range. They can sell all the $70k Model 3's they can build at this stage of the game.

Personally, I'd prefer a 3LR RWD with no PUP but with AP2, but if all there is available is a fully trimmed car, I'll take it. I doubt I'm alone in the 'load it up if necessary' crowd.

IMO, it is important for Tesla to stop bleeding cash.

Reactions: suwaneedad