Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Q4 Push with Supercharging? Hidden Reasons?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As you hopefully know, Tesla has said any car ordered before Jan 1st will be able to supercharge for free. This is definitely a tactic to push sales before the end of Q4. They did something similar in Q3, effectively screwing everyone over with the release of AP 2.0 soon after. What feature do you think Tesla will release at the start of the next quarter? Is it worth the risk of waiting? If you delay your delivery date, but order this year, do you think you may be able to take advantage of new features? Or would you at least be able to cancel and get your deposit back?

Let me know your thoughts.

I think the two are complete opposite situations, I don't know how you can draw a parallel between them.
With AP 2.0, Tesla said nothing about its availability until cars were actually being built with the hardware.
With free supercharging, they announce a couple months in advance when the change would take place.

Some people always get ticked off when there is no warning of upcoming changes.
Others seem to get ticked off when there is advanced warning.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't...

They did something similar in Q3, effectively screwing everyone over with the release of AP 2.0 soon after.

Right, because when you order something and get exactly what you paid for, you are being screwed over if the next person who orders get an improved product. You'd be happy if that next person got the same as you. It's strange that I never felt that way when AP came out shortly after I ordered, but then again I realize most people are like a little kid who can't enjoy their one cookie if the kid next to them in school has two. That's just our innately greedy human nature. But it's something we can control simply by being happy with what we got, and not being envious of others.

The free Supercharging is being cut off because it can't work long term given our innately greedy human nature (see above). Tesla announced it to avoid surprises and increase sales. The two need not be mutually exclusive. This is also not an improvement which it makes no sense to announce since that will hurt current sales. It makes total sense to announce downgrades like this because you can get a bump in sales. Plus, this may be the tipping point for people on the fence to jump in.

I asked why make the announcement now when the program is not yet fully detailed and he effectively said because they are trying to do things a little different to reduce disappointment with abrupt product changes.

Tesla sales people are notorious for not having good information. Tesla can easily reduce disappointment with abrupt product changes by announcing them in advance but, in my view, that will never happen except for downgrades. It makes no sense to do it otherwise. Besides, who really cares if selfish people get disappointed? I sure don't. I'm not the kind of parent who hands my kid another cookie to be the same as the kid next to him. Instead, I tell them to enjoy the cookie and suck it up or I'm taking the one cookie away. That teaches appreciation, which is about the best trait we humans can cultivate to overcome greed.